• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids ***SMOKING OFF FOIL ARGUMENT***

YoungBlondeDon

Greenlighter
So a lot of people have wondered and or argued about which side is the correct side of the foil to smoke off of.
Some people say the shiny side while others say the matte or dull (less shiny) side is the correct side to smoke off of. I don’t believe it matters your DOC you prefer to smoke off the foil. Personally, I’ve had recent debates with other friends about this argument. I was always told it was shiny side down and dull side up. I was told it’s because of the film that there seems to be on the shiny side that you can clearly see if you burn it off lightly before smoking off the foil. Personally I don’t think there’s a difference in quality or Anything when it comes to smoking off either side. I’m wondering if there’s anything about the scientific and or professional proof or studies on the health risks and quality of use. If anyone can give me real proof and answers on this topic that would be amazing. Any studies or papers on this as well will be necessary to be able to prove this age old argument and to simply just shove it in my friends face that I was right and they’re wrong and that it is truly better for you and supposed to be shiny side down always!
If I’m wrong though, please prove me wrong so that I can review the health risks and or the quality of my smoke to assess any changes that I might want to make.
Thank you so much for your time.
Please remember this is NOT an opinion I’m asking for but FACTS and PROOF of either side.

XX YoungBlondeDon XX

There's definitely chemicals released no matter which side u use that aren't supposed to be inhaled. Burning them off prior to inhaling is safest method . The shiny gives off more smoke so In my scientific opinion that would be most dangerous of the two . I'm not sure there's a study on the matter tho.

I've actually looked into it, both sides are identical. The shiny/dull side is simply due to the manufacturing process, one side does not get "polished" when they make it. That's it. Neither side contains any extra chemicals or different thermal properties.

It doesn't matter which side you use at all. I always liked the shiny side... because it looks cooler.

I've actually looked into it, both sides are identical. The shiny/dull side is simply due to the manufacturing process, one side does not get "polished" when they make it. That's it. Neither side contains any extra chemicals or different thermal properties.

It doesn't matter which side you use at all. I always liked the shiny side... because it looks cooler.
Have you looked into the "non-stick" coatings used on extra-heavy-duty Reynolds Wrap aluminium (sic) foil for broiling?

It has their logo imprinted in the thick coating on the shiny (food) side. It's designed for food on the shiny side so I'd hope there's a solid safety study. That foil is used for outdoor barbeque on hot coals, easily 500+ F temps into food and unknown barbeque sauces.

Last edited:
Not sure, but any sort of stuff they add on there would legally be required to be food safe, so I doubt it's harmful even if smoked.

Not sure, but any sort of stuff they add on there would legally be required to be food safe, so I doubt it's harmful even if smoked.
Well for a brand-name like Reynolds I sure hope they did more than find whatever it is on the Generally Recognized as Safe GRAS list where the FDA granddfathered in 300-odd ingredients in common usage to skip cancer studies. Search "FDA GRAS Delaney."

My guess is the heavy coating was patented and new, which would require published safety studies including the use of foil for drug consumption.

I mean c'mon they can't say they had no idea people are smoking drugs off their foil with butane lighters. It'd be like Purdue Frederick and the Sacklers swearing in court they had no idea people were chewing their OCs.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there...

Isn't smoking off aluminum foil unhealthy in general? I mean besides the fact that you're inhaling the dope smoke. Aren't you also inhaling some aluminum? I've used foil for makeshift weed pipes and it seems to break down fairly quickly.

I mean c'mon they can't say they had no idea people are smoking drugs off their foil with butane lighters.
A company has no obligation to make a product safe to be used for purposes for which it was not intended. For instance, when I was in alcohol WDs I drank hand sanitizer.
More than once.
I don't recommend it.

A company has no obligation to make a product safe to be used for purposes for which it was not intended. For instance, when I was in alcohol WDs I drank hand sanitizer.
More than once.
I don't recommend it.
If you're speaking of the law on product safety liability, I'd say there's definitely a legal requirement for an explicit warning to the consumer if the maker knew or should have known the prevalence and dangers.

They can't pretend they didn't know of it. I mean how many Hollywood movies, TV shows, all mass media portray drugs consumed on foil?

Drug consumption is a significant portion of Reynolds revenues and profits. Not so for hand sanitizer. How many times a year does mass media show an alcoholic drinking hand sanitizer?

Look at all the stupid warnings on consumer products and tell me why aluminum foil is exempt.

Last edited:
I'll bet any amount even money that buried somewhere in filing cabinets in the legal, chemistry, PR, and marketing depts. at Reynolds there's cost-benefit and uncertainty analyses of the potential dangers to consumers versus the dangers and harms to the company from acknowledging the fact there's plenty of people who only buy aluminum foil for drug use ... and the company knew about it and said nothing.

All it takes is just one very wealthy person like Elon Musk whose child contracted cancer from smoking drugs on foil and it's off to the races.

Last edited:
I'll bet any amount even money that buried somewhere in filing cabinets in the legal, chemistry, PR, and marketing depts. at Reynolds there's cost-benefit and uncertainty analyses of the potential dangers to consumers versus the dangers and harms to the company from acknowledging the fact that there's plenty of people who only buy aluminum foil for drug use.
Could be, I dunno.

I know that people have been known to drink antifreeze. Sometimes it kills them.
Is there a warning on antifreeze containers? Again, I dunno. Either way, I don't blame those deaths on Prestone.

There's definitely chemicals released no matter which side u use that aren't supposed to be inhaled. Burning them off prior to inhaling is safest method . The shiny gives off more smoke so In my scientific opinion that would be most dangerous of the two . I'm not sure there's a study on the matter tho.
So you’d say to keep the shiny side down or facing up with the DOC on it? Is there anything showing this or is it just your opinion on the matter? Thank you for your time and knowledge to answer, much appreciated

Above is an extended 12-yo Reddit thread.

Risks are everywhere always. It's paranoia to focus on one particular theoretical risk like aluminum toxicity from smoking drugs on foil when there's no evidence it ever happens.

Well for a brand-name like Reynolds I sure hope they did more than find whatever it is on the Generally Recognized as Safe GRAS list where the FDA granddfathered in 300-odd ingredients in common usage to skip cancer studies. Search "FDA GRAS Delaney."

My guess is the heavy coating was patented and new, which would require published safety studies including the use of foil for drug consumption.

I mean c'mon they can't say they had no idea people are smoking drugs off their foil with butane lighters. It'd be like Purdue Frederick and the Sacklers swearing in court they had no idea people were chewing their OCs.
Or smoking their OCs off the foil 😂

Just throwing this out there...

Isn't smoking off aluminum foil unhealthy in general? I mean besides the fact that you're inhaling the dope smoke. Aren't you also inhaling some aluminum? I've used foil for makeshift weed pipes and it seems to break down fairly quickly.
Yes, based on the consensus of the Reddit thread above, yes you could be inhaling aerosol particles of aluminum oxide (sucking hard pulls in bigger pieces), but it's ~99% stable as it travels through ending up mostly in your Kleenex and toilet.

Lungs eventually clear respirable particles to digestive tract.

Aluminum workers inhale huge amounts. Aluminum cookware scrubbed with steel wool puts huge amounts into food.

As a former risk analyst I'd call it a no nevermind. And I've taken up smoking Indonesian kreteks.

P.S. If people have lung irritation or a leukemia from meth smoking is it the meth or the foil? I've never smoked or even possessed street meth. But I have smoked benzimidazole nitazenes and look forward to doing it again.

Last edited:
So a lot of people have wondered and or argued about which side is the correct side of the foil to smoke off of.
Some people say the shiny side while others say the matte or dull (less shiny) side is the correct side to smoke off of. I don’t believe it matters your DOC you prefer to smoke off the foil. Personally, I’ve had recent debates with other friends about this argument. I was always told it was shiny side down and dull side up. I was told it’s because of the film that there seems to be on the shiny side that you can clearly see if you burn it off lightly before smoking off the foil. Personally I don’t think there’s a difference in quality or Anything when it comes to smoking off either side. I’m wondering if there’s anything about the scientific and or professional proof or studies on the health risks and quality of use. If anyone can give me real proof and answers on this topic that would be amazing. Any studies or papers on this as well will be necessary to be able to prove this age old argument and to simply just shove it in my friends face that I was right and they’re wrong and that it is truly better for you and supposed to be shiny side down always!
If I’m wrong though, please prove me wrong so that I can review the health risks and or the quality of my smoke to assess any changes that I might want to make.
Thank you so much for your time.
Please remember this is NOT an opinion I’m asking for but FACTS and PROOF of either side.

XX YoungBlondeDon XX
I've actually smoked small quantities of methamphetamine (when I was experimenting with different ROA) and DMT. For DMT, it's just bad because you waste the product. With meth, I have had lung irritation even with small quantities. I use the non-coated side for meth and the coated side for flame (that way the coated material doesn't get in with the meth). But you can actually find many cases of leukoencephalopathy with "chasing the dragon" on the NIH database.

Shiny side or dull side makes not a single difference, Especially, when you are inhaling clandestine labs products f drugs made with naphtha, lighter fluid, acetone, etc. The reason the foils has different looks is b/c one side is always going to be on the drum as it rolls off during manufacturing. Not a chemical additive or any toxic chemicals added. Just a manufacturing anomaly. People spreading false info is always an issue in our world. Thank You to Bluelight and other harm reduction proponents.