• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Smoking H, causing gums to recede? Thoughts on this...

44antman

Greenlighter
This is my first post on this site, so I hope everything here is above board. NOTE: I smoke around 10 roll ups a day, sometimes more, depending on other substances being administered I guess.

I finally got my check up at the dentist a few days ago, after i started noticing gaps inbetween my teeth where my gums used to be. I started smoking heroin around 5-6 months ago but am pretty sure I started noticing the problem with my gums before that. Memory is terrible, would really prosper writing shit down time-to-time. Anyway this ain't a behemoth thread so i'll keep it short...

Can anyone confirm that smoking H leads to gum recession? My dentist has said i should give up smoking cigarettes before my teeth eventually fall out, but I wanna know if i have to stop smoking h too!??!?!
You junkies all seem clued up, so cheers in advance ;)

[FONT=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hey there, quite new to the forum too. [/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm not an addict of Heroin but I saw this dentist website where they explained the reaction and potential illness due to Heroin.[/FONT]

Abusers tend to have a higher incidence of dental caries and periodontal disease due to neglect, than does the general population. Dental caries are seen on the labial and buccal cervical third of the teeth rather than on the occlusal or interproximal surfaces. These lesions are usually darker, larger and less painful than routine caries.

source:
http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/volume-23/issue-3/feature/awareness-of-substance-abuse.html

[FONT=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So it doesn't seem that smoking H is the main reason, in most cases it's tobacco. But I see it that way, since you sound to already have the infection I think only quitting smoking tobacco and continuing to smoke H will not make it better, I'd take that as a good opportunity to get off H as well as tobacco. 2 birds 1 stone... Mhhhm ? What do you say ?

Hope I was able to bring only such as a small help ^^

cheers.
[/FONT]

It's a good job you followed up on that in your own writing, 'coz i didn't understand a single word of that dental jargon =D

Anyways thanks for your help, t'was PRONTO. It's pretty much what I thought too, the main reason was cigs, but still want to know if H does also cause or worsen gum disease. Thing is, I fear I can't just hang up the coat on heroin. Smoking cigs? Sure, I can work with that. But quitting heroin? Nah, that's way more fun...

(I'm not encouraging it, i'm on a dangerous path that I DO need to get off!)

Still stands, could anyone CONFIRM my question here?

EDIT--oh yeh, is the link safe??