• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

smoking Buscopan (butylhyoscine.HBr)

hjalmar

Greenlighter
Where I live, in Belgium, a new trend has arisen mainly amongst heavy heroin addicts. They take Buscopan pills, a common spasmolytic available cheap and OTC, crush one 10mg pill, and smoke it in a cigarette. As such it is a powerful depressant and deliriant with long-lasting effects. They use it both as a cheap intoxicating drug, and to counteract heroin withdrawals.

Buscopan contains butylhyoscine hydrobromide, which is a quaternary salt of scopolamine (hyoscine), it is essentially scopolamine butylbromide. Scopolamine is in this case the active drug, as although the quaternary salt does not cross the blood-brain barrier, it is generated through smoking, which is essentially a pyrolysis of the substance. In organic chemistry, the synthesis of tertiary amines by pyrolysis of quaternary amine salts is known and documented. IIRC Shulgin in TiHKaL synthesized DMT through pyrolysis of the N,N,N-trimethyltryptammonium iodide quaternary ammonium salt.

So not only do the users actually use scopolamine, a powerful and dangerous drug, another side product of the pyrolysis will be n-butyl bromide, which they inhale deeply into their lungs. n-Butyl bromide is like all alkyl bromides an alkylating agent, and very likely to be quite carcinogenic. And I'm not talking Tefal pan-tier carcinogenic here, but actually n-butylating yourself.

Has anyone noticed this trend in other countries? I can't find much on google, except one article from medics that put out a warning when they encountered this practice in UK prisons.

As a general paraspasmolytic Buscopan is the best though, so I hope it stays OTC, but if this trend continues accidents are bound to happen and it could become prescription. I just noticed Boehringer-Ingelheim introduced new "forte" 20mg tablets to the market here.

Where I live, in Belgium, a new trend has arisen mainly amongst heavy heroin addicts. They take Buscopan pills, a common spasmolytic available cheap and OTC, crush one 10mg pill, and smoke it in a cigarette. As such it is a powerful depressant and deliriant with long-lasting effects. They use it both as a cheap intoxicating drug, and to counteract heroin withdrawals.

Buscopan contains butylhyoscine hydrobromide, which is a quaternary salt of scopolamine (hyoscine), it is essentially scopolamine butylbromide. Scopolamine is in this case the active drug, as although the quaternary salt does not cross the blood-brain barrier, it is generated through smoking, which is essentially a pyrolysis of the substance. In organic chemistry, the synthesis of tertiary amines by pyrolysis of quaternary amine salts is known and documented. IIRC Shulgin in TiHKaL synthesized DMT through pyrolysis of the N,N,N-trimethyltryptammonium iodide quaternary ammonium salt.

So not only do the users actually use scopolamine, a powerful and dangerous drug, another side product of the pyrolysis will be n-butyl bromide, which they inhale deeply into their lungs. n-Butyl bromide is like all alkyl bromides an alkylating agent, and very likely to be quite carcinogenic. And I'm not talking Tefal pan-tier carcinogenic here, but actually n-butylating yourself.

Has anyone noticed this trend in other countries? I can't find much on google, except one article from medics that put out a warning when they encountered this practice in UK prisons.

As a general paraspasmolytic Buscopan is the best though, so I hope it stays OTC, but if this trend continues accidents are bound to happen and it could become prescription. I just noticed Boehringer-Ingelheim introduced new "forte" 20mg tablets to the market here.
Yes people here in the US use scopolamine and other derivatives as well to achieve a "high" of sorts and also mix it with heroin or most of the time other downers like Alprozalam/Diazepam, as well as other strong opioids that are for medical use only. People here also take loperamide that's an OTC anti-dieareah drug that can be used as a form of help during withdrawal. I personally used/use loperamide for my withdrawal I'll get sometimes.

Even old friends of mine use to make Datura tea (has scopolamine in it as well as many other naturally occurring chemicals too that act the same as scopolamine) & they would trip for days, only due to the half-life of the chemicals in the trees flower itself. It's normally the last choice for getting a high when they can't or whatever other reasonings. We were kids when we did that stupid shit but it indeed happens here a lot.

Update* Now people in the US in small cities and places where Datura grows or near the Mexican border. They're now using scopolamine as a legit, really bad, date rape drug. As it normally was used for in Brazil and also used by brothel girls to make the person they laced give all their cash, credit cards, the cards #, even go to the victims house & get all legal documents and more cash, valuables, drugs, etc... There is small documentaries on YouTube; on a channel named VICE/VICS NEWS. Check them all out, you may learn way more about the "devils trumpet".