• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

smoking after dental work

GGooDD

Bluelighter
hello, today i had two needles (for numbing) and two cavities filled. when is it safe to start smoking up again? (im worried more about the needle spots getting infected)

Safe? I can't say definitively.

I do know you're not risking much by smoking after dental anesthesia and fillings. I'd think as soon as the fillings were dry/set it'd be okay to inhale some burning plant matter... The big issue with smoking after dental work revolves around having teeth pulled.

If I were in your shoes, GGooDD, I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Burn one or two or three or twenty, I doubt it'll have any significant effect on a cavity filling.

I asked my dentist this last time, he said not to worry about it and continue smoking as usual.

I've had a lot of dental work done and I've been smoking for years. Just wait until the numbness wears off and you'll be fine. If you're particularly worried about infection, you could always use a rinse like Listerine after smoking in an attempt to ward off bacteria.

The only time you have to be worried about smoking after dental work is when you have teeth pulled or oral surgery. If you smoke after having a tooth pulled (or drink with a straw for that matter) you are likely to cause the clot to come out of the hole where the tooth was pulled causing a dry socket. I have it happen many times and it can be pretty painful and prolong the healing process. It has nothing to do with causing infections.

*edit* well this and smoking causes issues with healing anywhere on the body in general. Smoking cigarettes causes a depletion of vitamin C in your body which is essential for the healing process. If you smoke you should always take a vitamin Csupplement to aid in the healing process after any surgery or injury.

thank you all very much for the replies, all very helpful, my numbness has worn off now, and i just sparked a jay :)

hi i'v just had a fairly large filling... does anyonie know if its safe to smoke bongs as i dont really smoke jays? Any feed back would be great

hi i'v just had a fairly large filling... does anyonie know if its safe to smoke bongs as i dont really smoke jays? Any feed back would be great

Smoking with a filling is A-OK.

It's when you get teeth pulled that you have to be wary. I've never had it but it sounds like causing a dry socket can be quite the bitch to have to deal with.