• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sleeping pill

jillp

Greenlighter
I take a prescription sleeping pill & was wondering if there is anything that would be comparable (or close), besides benadryl or melatonin, which do not work for me. I take prescription pain meds every day for 2 back surgeries & I can't get a good night's sleep. (This is my 1st post, I hope this question is appropriate).

I take a prescription sleeping pill & was wondering if there is anything that would be comparable (or close), besides benadryl or melatonin, which do not work for me. I take prescription pain meds every day for 2 back surgeries & I can't get a good night's sleep. (This is my 1st post, I hope this question is appropriate).

You mention you take a prescription sleeping pill, what is it that you're prescribed exactly?

What other meds are you on besides that, and the pain meds? And what pain meds specifically?

Are you looking for something so you don't have to take your sleeping pill every day? If I use cyclobenzaprine, it eliminates the need to use temazepam. It's a muscle relaxant and I find it quite sedating.

^ Yeah it is actually an effective hypnotic and not terrible as a muscle relaxer

Nobody can answer without knowing what you take, I mean, you could be on Halcion for all we know

Can list plenty if OP comes back

Maybe list some later anyway (Flexeril, what T. Calderone/Castiel mentioned-Cyclobenzaprine-being one

I take a prescription sleeping pill, zolipidam, I have to double up on it so I end up trying everything I know to go to sleep for the other half of the month. I have taken melatonin, liquidnight time sleep aids, benedryl, etc. Nothing seems to work. I was wondering if there is anything that would be comparable or close to it. I've been on a lot of pain meds for the past 5 years for back pain & 2 back surgeries, so my tolerance is high. I currently take oxycontin 60 mg EXR, oxycodone 15, lyrics, tizanidine, promethazine, diazepam, stimvistatin, topiramate & metformin. Quite embarassing!! Tired of lying in bed watching the clock till 3-4-4:30 in th a.m. (hope this post is what you needed).

I take a prescription sleeping pill, zolipidam, I have to double up on it so I end up trying everything I know to go to sleep for the other half of the month. I have taken melatonin, liquidnight time sleep aids, benedryl, etc. Nothing seems to work. I was wondering if there is anything that would be comparable or close to it. I've been on a lot of pain meds for the past 5 years for back pain & 2 back surgeries, so my tolerance is high. I currently take oxycontin 60 mg EXR, oxycodone 15, lyrics, tizanidine, promethazine, diazepam, stimvistatin, topiramate & metformin. Quite embarassing!! Tired of lying in bed watching the clock till 3-4-4:30 in th a.m. (hope this post is what you needed).

Ahhh, okay. Zolpidem (sold in various areas as Ambien, Zonox, and many others) is only really intended to be used for 14 days in a row maximum. Many people find it begins to rapidly lose its effect after this time which may be why you need to start upping your dose on your own to get the same effect.

I would speak to your doctor and try some of the non-addictive sleep aids they can prescribe besides the "Z-drugs" (zolpidem, zopiclone and zaleplon being the biggest). This could perhaps include a low dose of quetiapine fumerate, mirtazapine or a number of others like it. They can be taken over long periods without losing much effectiveness and can often be swapped off for each other in a cycle if you find any one loses its effectiveness after several months (for some people they do, but for many others such as a couple of people I know IRL, the same drug works like a charm for years). They are also not controlled medications so most doctors are comfortable with you bringing it up. Do keep in mind that zolpidem is physically addictive so even though you are taking diazepam your doctor may need to taper your dose down on it slowly. I don't feel like you need to specifically talk to your doctor about upping your dose (that would likely be a red flag that may impact their ability to write you zolpidem, diazepam or painkillers in the future). Just tell them it only works for a short time and then stops working.

Best of luck with it!