• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

skin pop / iming results questions

• Thread starter Unregisteredasd
  • Start date
U

Unregisteredasd

Skin popped and shallow 'muscled' 12- 14 days ago. I know this is a bad idea. I went down the bicep to the forearm and in some sites there is a hardness to the muscle where it went it. Sterile works / water but street dope. Also on one site there is a marble sized bump. Not getting bigger, maybe the slightest of discoloration in one site but hard to see.

Similar to what I have experienced in the past with a injury to my arm when I was hit with a piece of metal, took a month or two to disappear completely.

I am not concerned as these are not getting worse, so infection seems unlikely, but what exactly is going on? Should I be concerned? Anyone explain why injecting garbage into one's arm would result in irritation to the muscle resulting in hardness and does this go away with time?

Yes, I am a total moron. I know this. Please do not rub this in.

Some abscesses from missed IV shots last for a while. I've had them last a week or two with hardness, others I've heard of lasting well over a month; nearly two months even. If it isn't painful with visible swelling, you should be okay. If you develop a fever or if your symptoms get any worse at all, rather than better, then you should go see a doctor about it. Go to urgent care and pay upfront; they may even try to drain it. The fever is a big deal though, because abscesses can go septic and that is when it becomes a matter of life and death.

What do you mean when you say street dope, though? And why IM instead of IV?

to answer your question, jack, who knows what you squirted into yourself, and what the repercussions will be. if you live in the usa you could always leave your ID at home, go to the hospital, and give them bogus personal info...

IM is not the same as "missing" or a shallow subcutaneous injection. Skin popping is a bad idea. It can lead to abscesses and infections.

That is for future reference. For now, a hardness will go away. What you want to watch for is redness particularly with localized heat/ hot feeling to the skin by the injection site. This indicates infection. If infected you definitely want it looked at. But if its just hard and isn't red, hot to the touch or getting bigger/spreading then I would just keep an eye on it. At any sign of those symptoms get yourself to an ER or urgent care.

And if you are going to use needles, IV is actually safer than skin popping. Or else do true IM--injecting deeper into muscle tissue, like when you get a shot in the butt or upper arm