• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Simple question. Upper/downer combo

Denial

Bluelighter
Call me naive, but,
I've always just heard "its bad to take uppers and downers together"... and yes, ill just go ahead and accept that story because i derno, something about it seems like, sure, that doesnt sound like it would work well..
BUT
what is the SPECIFIC danger of doing this?
WHAT DOES IT DO!?
Thanks for a straightforward, nonflaming reply!

well, injecting an upper and a downer (usually coke+heroin, but can be any strong upper/downer combo) is called speedballing. it is extremely dangerous, as the upper and downer send mixed messages to your respiratory system causing it to fail. it can easily be fatal if done improperly and is probably the least safe way to get high.
now, the term speedballing has also been applied to other methods of injestion (ie. snorting some oxy's, and smoking some meth), but they are not a speedball in the true sense. they can be dangerous as well, but not to the same degree as injection.
[This message has been edited by day_for_night (edited 15 October 2001).]

But then again coke & alcohol have a synergic effect since the mixture of the two in the liver create a third stimulant. There are many more upper/downer combinations than just heroin/coke. Back in the days of the mods and rockers or so i'm told some clubs in london used to give people combinations of upper and downer pills at the door.

Okay, I'm not interested in trying it at all... it was just for the sake of knowledge...
so... in laymans terms...
the uppers and downers give conflicting messages to your brain and/or organs, therefore they become 'confused' and your heart and lungs quit.
yes?

Each combo acts differently together. And each has different levels of safety. The coke+heroin combo d4n mentioned is more technically because heroin is a respitory depressant and coke is a heart stimulant. So this combo would speed up the heart and slow the breathing, the result is not enough oxygen in the blood.

If you are talking about an IV combo of a strong downer (heroin) and a strong upper (coke or meth), THEN you are entering dangerous waters - why? Well, think of it like a car... you're driving down the highway REALLY FAST, then suddenly throw it in reverse - what happends to your transmission?
But popping shit like pain killers and railing some gaggers isn't dangerous...
And because I gotta "keep it real" I will admit that even an IV coke+heroin speedball is not likely to kill someone with a good heart - but I have seen it happen many times before, and do NOT ADVISE IT!
------------------
"I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is: 'What are they in a position to do about it?'" (William S. Burroughs)

^^^^
Ahhh, my hero.
wink.gif

well, injecting an upper and a downer (usually coke+heroin, but can be any strong upper/downer combo) is called speedballing. it is extremely dangerous, as the upper and downer send mixed messages to your respiratory system causing it to fail. it can easily be fatal if done improperly and is probably the least safe way to get high.
now, the term speedballing has also been applied to other methods of injestion (ie. snorting some oxy's, and smoking some meth), but they are not a speedball in the true sense. they can be dangerous as well, but not to the same degree as injection.
[This message has been edited by day_for_night (edited 15 October 2001).]
I shoot Heroin and smoke Meth. I don't do it together very often but when I do I take fairly big hits from my pizzle. I normally load a full 20 in the bowl and shoot between 50-60 units of Heroin.
That's probably not a lot to Yall veteran users but it's just the right balance for me.