Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

shrooms/truffles for depression

nolys

Bluelight Crew
Hi all,
My girlfriend has been depressed for quite some years and suffers clinical depression. recently she has been advised by the doctor to go on strong anti depressants which seem to have a low success rate , immense witgdrawls and high tendency of suicide amongst it's users.

I've suggested an alternative method, taking a mushroom or truffle dose but I have a few questions about it first and would appreciate it if anybody could help.

1. Would this be beneficial to her? Would it actually work and how long would this help for from one single dosage?
2. I'm assuming we will order some truffles from the internet from a supplier who I bought truffles from in Amsterdam a few years back, psilocibe gallendoi, what dosage should she take? The box is standard 15g which gave me a pretty decent trip.
3. Does it pass through breast milk? She needs to go off breastfeeding for the drugs but if it doesn't pass through this isn't an issue and she can continue.
4. How often is dosages needed? 6 months? A year? A week?

Any info would be appreciated and please feel free to move to bdd, or another forum if needs be.

Thanks people

There's honestly no way to know weather it would help or not. Personally, psychedelics helped me immensely in a period of depression by helping me figure out the root causes, but I've seen it go both ways for others. IF it did help, then there is also no telling how long it would help her for. For some, one may be necessary and no more sessions will be needed. If it comes to "needing" a re-dose every week or so then I don't think it's ultimately helping.

I don't want this message to sound like I'm trying to persuade one way or the other. As I said it has always been a valuable tool for me, and I've recommended it to friends as an aid for depression/depersonalization/dissociation before, though not often and only to people I know very well. Ultimately I think it comes down to that, knowing the person you're recommending it to. Have you done mushrooms before? Or any other psychedelics?

As for the breast milk issue, I don't know.

I hope this helps in any way

There is some recent evidence that mushrooms and other psychedelics can have long term mental health benefits even from a single trip. However, tripping while in a negative state of mind is a recipe for disaster. I think you should wait until her mood is improved before trying it.

Antidepressants have a bad rep around here but they really helped me. It took a good year of horrible failures and bad side effects to find the right drug, but since then my quality of life has vastly improved. Make extra sure they don't pass into breast milk, though. I wouldn't want an infant getting that kind of chemical in their body.

Antidepressants literally saved my life. I can't comment on psychedelics because I've never used them, I'm just here exploring and preparing, but I can tell you that antidepressants are absolutely necessary for some people in certain circumstances. I personally felt they were useful during times I was suicidal or felt like my emotions were out of control. That was I was able to think and function enough to make an attempt to get to the bottom of my issues. If I didn't begin my journey of healing with conventional psychiatric treatment I might never have even made it here to the entheogenic community. Now I feel in control of myself, I am safely off my antidepressants, and ready to explore what psychedelics could do for me. Just my experience!

Tripping while depressed can have disasterous consequences and even if it goes well don't expect it to be some end all for her depression. My old drug dealer when I was like 15 or 16 used to tell me to only do drugs when I'm feeling good, because a lot worse abuse results from feeling like shit...though I didn't listen of course and use 24/7, I think he was right.

And yes SSRIs have gotten a terrible rep nowadays and maybe rightly so, but I've known a lot of people on Prozac tell me it works wonders for depression so don't discount antidepressants without more research. Good luck, I feel for her.

Psilocybin is structurally very similar to serotonin. Experimenting on myself I found that sub threshold doses of cubes (0.3g) had very immediate and strong antidepressant affects. Tbh imo this worked much better for me than any antidepressant a doctor ever prescribed to me.

In good conscience I would never recommend any drug to be taken while nursing. But if the depression is really bad I'd consider the speed at which psilocybin is metabolized, whether or not it is concentrated or preferentially absorbed by high fat and high protein substances (like breast milk) and how much dilution of the chemical occurs as it courses thru the body. Idk those answers but it is what I'd research if this was a course I was seriously considering.

Psilocybin seemed to permanently cure my depression. Just one use helped - then you take it whenever you feel down. I think maybe once a month or so should see you right.

If you're in the UK tho - be aware that truffles are a class A drug. If they get stopped at customs make sure you've got a clean house in case her majestys finest batter your door down.

Psychedelics did more in a month for my depression than antidepressants did in years...it's definitely worth a try.

psychedelics cured my 1.5 year depression, i suggest starting low and learning to know the substance and slowly upping the dose with each use until the desired results are achieved

Thanks for the infoe people, every comment here has helped.
To the people who have had success, did you take it whilst in a depressed state? And did 1 use help? Also did you need to do anything whilst tripping to get cured or just enjoy the ride?

Yes I first took mushrooms after a death in the family when I was at my lowest ebb of despair. Had a fantastic effect and saved my life. You just have to let the mushroom work it's magic - it's been helping human beings for thousands of years and you're just one in a long line of satisfied customers! :D

Do I go to the trip with the purpose being to meditate ect or do I just let it take me where it takes me and enjoy the ride.?
And by me I mean her lol

I find going in to the trip with no expectation leads to the greatest benefit. That way if no knowledge is gained from the trip then frustration doesn't occur.
At the same time focusing on your problem may only exacerbate it which is undesirable as well.
The area of psychotherapy is not well understood nor researched thanks to gigantic brick walls set in place by the government.
Most of the evidence for it working against depression is entirely anecdotal, remember what works for some may not work for others.
If she has already tried exercise and healthy eating and perhaps cognitive behavioural therapy then maybe a psychedelic experience could be of help, but as I implied earlier, tread lightly and be careful.
The human psyche is definitely not something to be toyed with

I agree with letting the trip take you where it needs to. I find if you try to force yourself to do anything you felt like you "needed" to do before the trip, then it won't have as significant of an effect as if you're naturally motivated to do those things during the trip.

While I believe its entirely possible that most serotonergic psychedelics are capable of relieving depression and anxiety, I believe theres good reason why they chose psilocybin as the ant depressive agent for the John Hopkins study. While all psychedelics are similar in action I strongly believe that they are beneficial in different ways. Ive used all the classic trilogy (mescaline, LSD and psilocybin) any times and found that mushrooms was extremely beneficial for depression. They all can help you see life from a brighter perspective but the year long after glow I get from shrooms is absolutely phenomenal. And now theirs science to prove that this is a normal mechanism of psilocybin.

Think I'm gonna order some psylocibe atalantis when I get paid on Friday, gonna take them with her ( just for fun for me, and to make her feel safer).
Would you like me to update this thread when I do this and let you all know if any progress is made?

That's a great idea, or you can take a low dose and guide her through the experience to ensure she has a great time. In the study where they conducted research on psilocybin and depression I believe they recommended the volunteers "focus inward". You may try and research how the study was done and try and follow their protocol as it was extremely successful in producing a "mystical experience". These highly profound experiences are what provided the long lasting mental health benefits if Im not mistaken. One thing I can say is that mushrooms CAN get really rough for me and many others I know. In fact mushrooms are the roughest psychedelic Ive ever done but I strongly believe that these sensations and feelings which I find to be less that comfortable are a sign of them doing their work.

I started this thread the other day and we actually discuss the psychological benefits in it. I talk about my experiences with mushrooms and how I find the experiences rather unsettling at times but I discuss the benefits that I received from them. There may be some info in the thread that may prove to be useful for you. http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...psilocin-Question-about-come-up-and-peak-OOBE

YOu might want to check out this article as well http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/...mushrooms-trigger-lasting-personality-change/

And yes I would love to hear about your progress/updates