View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health shrooms on suicidal ideation and chronic depression

kiz

Greenlighter
Is there any reason not to do shrooms (for the first time) while passively suicidal i.e not in immediate harm? (I’m disregarding shrooms connection to psychosis as unrelated to this but correct me if I’m wrong). Tangentially related, I’ve heard about people getting into bad trips and the rare cases that leads to suicide, but (personal opinion) wouldn’t people who have been dealing with such compulsions for awhile have an easier time dealing with such thoughts even while high?
Secondly, while there seems to be evidence for shrooms helping with depression, does anyone know if this is limited to depression caused by a specific event (due to the ways it changes your perspective) or is there any evidence specifically about shrooms and depression that’s just genetic/chronic?
Also, unrelated but I was wondering if I should avoid alcohol or weed in the days prior to doing shrooms, if so how long?

Last edited:
I did 3.5g of good quality penis envy shrooms by myself for introspection on New years eve( it was my first time trying a moderate dose of shrooms) it gave me more questions than answers but OVERALL IT WAS A POSOTIVE EXPERIENCE. I suffer from depression too and have had SI lately too, nevertheless it was a really good experience for me, it makes u connect with mother earth and u feel pure unconditional love and the feeling of BEING ALIVE.
I think doing LSD has more chance of having a bad trip but shrooms for me was a lovely, lush, ultra, mega awesome experience. I thought "why didn't I try this years before".
Anyways, sorry for the rambling but that was my experience. Hope it helps u a lil bit.
GL with your trip if you decide to do it and a big hug bro. You're not alone in this fight against depression 😉😊🤗💯
Cheers xx,
nico

PS regarding your question at the end whether u should avoid alcohol and weed, I don't think so. Although, the day you do em do a fasting. Don't eat anything that day and avoid any other drugs prior to doing the shrooms so it doesn't interfere with the trip.

• Heart
Reactions: kiz
thank you for your response and nice words Nico xx I’m looking forward to a trip that’s hopefully as positive as you’ve described but gonna go in without any expectations!

Drugs do not provide the mental contents of the trip,
the mental contents come from inside your own head, and the environment that you trip in.
Psychedelic drugs just affect the operation of the machinery of the mind ie.:
how intensified sensations and visual and auditory experiences feel
how layered or resonant things seem to be
how thoughts can race and chase each other and seem to be solid hallucinations
how time seems to pass more slowly.

If you are obsessing over something that you want or do not want to happen then likely the opposite of what you want will be detected and reacted to unless you are working at relaxing.

working at relaxing is probably the main thing to try - in advance of tripping and when you do trip.
if thoughts arise that you like or do not like, just be aware of them and do not react.

Is there any reason not to do shrooms (for the first time) while passively suicidal i.e not in immediate harm? (I’m disregarding shrooms connection to psychosis as unrelated to this but correct me if I’m wrong). Tangentially related, I’ve heard about people getting into bad trips and the rare cases that leads to suicide, but (personal opinion) wouldn’t people who have been dealing with such compulsions for awhile have an easier time dealing with such thoughts even while high?
Secondly, while there seems to be evidence for shrooms helping with depression, does anyone know if this is limited to depression caused by a specific event (due to the ways it changes your perspective) or is there any evidence specifically about shrooms and depression that’s just genetic/chronic?
Also, unrelated but I was wondering if I should avoid alcohol or weed in the days prior to doing shrooms, if so how long?
All I can really say is psilocybin helped me where antidepressants never did and I tried 9 of them. I have a theory about why, but that’s a whole another conversation.

I only take them 2-3 times a year and maintain my mental health without the obsessive suicidal thoughts I used to have all the time and I haven’t been depressed since.

To me “bad” trips were the trips I got the most out of . Shrooms can bring up memories and things. And just got to remember that it’s temporary. Don’t hold back. Let the shrooms drive otherwise you end up trying to fight it and there’s no use. It just makes it worse. When you let go and let them take you on a journey they will show you things without your protectors keeping you from seeing them so you can integrate what you learn in your life.

One time they made me see how selfish I was being. And yeah it was crushing at first and there were tears for deeper reasons but then I used that experience to make changes in my life.

Don’t get me wrong they aren’t a magic bullet and there are other reasons they help too on a biological level but I don’t want to get into that. It’s too long lol and this is already long.

Summary, shrooms helped me but I also made changes in my life. It’s not just the shrooms.

Edit: Also, I have found that having someone you trust to discuss the experience especially when it’s a “bad” trip and what you learned from it is very beneficial. Luckily I have a therapist who is training to be a psychedelic therapist so she is very open to helping me integrate the experience.