View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shrooms by themselves

Melancholy Hill

Bluelighter
What do shrooms feel like by themselves? I've always been curious. The only time I've ever did them when I was probably halfway though my roll (I took 2 ecstasy pills, as this was approximately 12 years ago and "Molly" wasn't so prevalent)

Needless to say, the experience was great and I had a blast, but I was thinking it was more because of the MDMA?

it's not really something you can describe in words.
i personally find shrooms really euphoric - more so than MDMA, or at least "deeper" than MDMA.

So is it basically the euphoria without the stimulation and empathetic feelings/closeness associated with MDMA?

Mmmmm no - it's really more than i could put into in words. :)

For me, MDMA is a bit of a nice fuzzy buzz, but Psilocybin mushrooms are a full-on psychedelic.
MDMA makes you feel nice, but psychedelic mushrooms open your mind up to a world of colours, sensations and heightened senses.

They can have a large array of different effects, depending on dosage and mindset, etc.
I find shrooms incredibly powerful as a tool for self-anaysis and contemplation - but they can also be a lot fun, and occasionally they can be kinda dark and scary.
They can have a pretty complex range of effects - from a light euphoric high to a completely consuming psychedelic experience.
MDMA can cause mild hallucinations, but mushrooms can be extremely visual in higher doses.

MDMA makes music sound great - but on a good shroom trip, you can sometimes see the music, or taste colours, and other kinds of crazy hallucinogenic synaesthesia.
As far as empathetic feelings go, i get those sorts of effects just as much (it not more) from mushrooms more so than MDMA.
To me, MDMA is sort of a shallow, hedonistic feel-good kind of drug - but shrooms tend to be a whole lot deeper, for me. A much richer experience that can open you up to all sorts of revelations and different perspectives.

To me, MDMA has always seemed a bit superficial in comparison to proper psychedelics.
The euphoria i get from a good mushroom trip is intense and runs really deep.
But that's pretty subjective - everyone reacts to these things in different ways. Some people find magic mushrooms frightening.

Wow, you pretty much made it sound like a Godsend. I never knew psychedelic mushrooms to have so much potential.

Thanks for the explanation though, you were very descriptive and informative.

They can also be incredibly dark as spacejunk said. Don't think they are just deep, happy feelings, if you aren't careful with your set and setting they can take you to horrible places.

They have just as much of a capacity to frighten as they do to enlighten. Sometimes the most frightening experiences can show you the most about yourself and pave the way for positive change. On the flip side a truly beautiful experience can show someone a wonderful side of the world that they have never managed to see before. This scenario is more desired in depressed people seeking a cure in the magical fungi.

I can attest to that lol. Ill take a bad acid trip over a bad shroom trip anyday.

The most dominant feeling from mushrooms for me is importance. Everything seems like it is significant, and it is from this significance that the euphoria, the fear (overwhelming), and creepiness (underwhelming) come from.

Euphoric as in "I am the carpet! So this is what it's like to be an inanimate object?!"

lol

aside from being delicious (if you like a pungent chew) - shrooms are a lot like al-lad and ald-52,
because they grow naturally, they are extra special and remind us that our ancestors (early men and pre-men) had access to divine sensations and thoughts for hundreds of thousands of years (at least).

MDMA is an empathogen. It floods the brain with serotonin, greatly amplifying feelings of empathy to the point of almost making you think you're telepathic. It is also a stimulant, releasing dopamine and noradrenaline to fill you with energy instead of just making you want to sit down and cuddle, and it has some relatively mild psychedelic qualities.

The Psilocybin/Psilocin in shrooms, OTOH, is a full-blown psychedelic. It essentially mimics serotonin at specific receptors (primarily 5HT2A and 5HT1A) to induce sensations of novelty and significance, and produce powerful visuals and abstract thoughts.

The most dominant feeling from mushrooms for me is importance. Everything seems like it is significant, and it is from this significance that the euphoria, the fear (overwhelming), and creepiness (underwhelming) come from.

This is probably the best description of the psychedelic experience in this thread.
MDMA is near guaranteed euphoria. As for shrooms - "to fathom hell or soar angelic, just take a pinch of psychedelic."

They both have value, of course - MDMA can be therapeutic by helping people open up, and experience an emotional connection to their fellow humans. And it is arguably pretty "fun" ;) .
A shroom trip can lead to tremendously valuable therapeutic insights by making you much more aware of subconscious behaviors and thought processes, even if the experience itself is often difficult. Of course sometimes it can also be so mind-blowing as to be euphoric.

When I was on shrooms I wanted to discover everything that it offred me. So you could say you could feel curious and your always oberserivng things closely, atleast I did trying to see the hullations.