• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Shrooms and connection with nature

you know what looks cooler than nature while tripping, a city view

Teach each their own certainly. A view of a city from a fancy high rise would be nice, or better yet from the mountain you just hiked up near the city would be nicer ;)

I live in a very big city, and for everything I love about it, it is still very noisy, crowded, expensive, smelly, ugly in a lot of areas, unsafe in others and full of garbage (all while being known as one of the safest and nicest cities to live in NA). It looks pretty from afar and I value living here and the opportunities available, but I certainly would not want to be deep within it if I'm tripping 8(

Fortunately I don't subscribe to the, what I'd call, regressive "back to Earth" perspective, no. Evolution only goes forwards. My idea of what is needed culturally in this moment begins and really ends with - as I can't predict the future - communication and a value on understanding others' worldviews and, in doing so, beginning to create bridges of mutual understanding, care, compassion, and empathy.

I think the simplest explanation of culturally lost would be that a) we have no shared reality, we are instead a world filled with individuals and groups with staggeringly different worldviews and realities and b) our cultural values have been reduced to consumerism, narcissism, convenience, and so on and so forth - I don't think I have to continue that line of thought for you to understand what I mean, let me know if I do.

While it may seem bizarre to say this considering who the current president of the USA is, I would argue that the people of Northern America and Western Europe (and various other industrialized nations) have, on average, been probably more "woke" (as in caring, compassionate, tolerant etc.) in the last ~20 years than ever before. We've got gay marriage, we've got the right to vote for women and minorities, we've got anti-discrimination laws, we've got Obamacare and Medicaid (and even more extensive public health insurance programs in Canada and Europe). The #metoo and #blacklivesmatter movements highlight that we still have a significant problem with misogyny and police brutality/racism, but you've got to remember that barely half a century ago there were still anti-miscenegation/forced segregation laws in several American states, and that women's suffrage was introduced less than a 100 years ago in most of the Western world. We also have environmental policies that are still nowhere near effective enough, but still a major step up from our complete lack of giving-a-shit in centuries past.

Misogyny, greed and bigotry have been with us for most of human history, and indeed probably in pre-historic times, too. Even societies as isolated as the Yanomami often treat their women like garbage (you'd figure that the DMT entities would inform them that a woman getting her period is no reason to quarantine her in a cramped dark hut like a literal plague victim), Polynesian tribes have extended blood feuds against each other, and African tribal societies have issues with actual witch hunts and albinos getting chopped up to make charms and potions. Deforestation has been a constant companion to human civilization; even the Easter islanders accelerated the deforestation of their island in order to erect giant phallic monuments for dead privileged dudes.

And re: convenience and narcicissm, we can consider ourselves lucky to live in a society where people aren't just one bad harvest away from starving to death. Even during ancient times, the nobility would revel in "consumerism" and narcicissm; while their holy books may have prohibited it, there were always loopholes to get around such taboos in displays of flagrant hypocrisy.
Today, even a person of modest means can go bargain-hunting on Amazon occasionally (or atleast find the odd bargain on Craigslist or the thrift store), and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Now, am I saying that all is well here and now? No, obviously not. But I am saying that all in all, being "culturally lost" may not be so bad after all.

Terrance McKenna said something that I think works here. I dont know the exact quote so I will not put it in quotations...

If you can believe that the universe and all the matter within it was created from an infinitesimal point in a single instant then what sort of rap would you actually find outlandish?

Now I am not saying I believe the Big Bang is wrong, nor is he , I dont think. But If you think about relgious dogma, creation stories and the like, indeed it is odd to think that the basically infinite universe and the matter it contains was once held in a point smaller than the diameter of a proton and it sprang fourth for basically no reason at all. Because that means that the system was not at equilibrium, and what caused the tipping point?

Now there is evidence for this, but how many people on earth can actually understand it? Not many. Which means that most of us take this fact on Faith. That is the same principle that Christians use to believe in salvation through Jesus Christ. Which if I think about it, makes neither believer seem outlandish, foolish, or being misled.

I was raised Methodist. I was an Athiest for years, but my reflection on how my life has played out, and my experiences with Psychedelic drugs have changed this view. I feel that Karma seems like a real force. I have been hit with good and bad, and generally pay the piper for my mistakes.

Psychedelics reveal your connection to nature, yes because it dissolves boundaries, but also because it reveals to us the finite and the infinite and in doing so our place in our environment as a function of time its self.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe that the visions caused by Psychedelic drugs are only due to changes in brain chemistry. I feel that is how they work, but the effect has a purpose and is accessible because it is something important. The visions are unlike "hallucination" brought about during the waking dream of the deleriant, which is more closely related to the psychotic state

The form, the color, its reality, even though its entirely distinguished from this reality is something that I think cannot be explained just by brain chemistry. I have seen visions of impossible architecture, and beautiful geometric forms, but not with my eyes, within my very being. Where is this ? Is this just some exotic synasthetic experience? Is it coming from my spleen? OR maybe there is a soul? And there is something after death

I feel like psychedelics loosen the souls attachment to the here and now, allowing you to peer behind the curtain of reality. And specifically DMT, allows you to view the other. Whether that is God, your maker, heaven, dark matter, I dont know. But there is no evolutionary reason for your brain to have developed the ability to experience this when taking a chemical.
I just do not buy the whole fractal theory of CEVs, as they are not really fractals, and do not look (to me) like the classical fractals you often see in text books and simulators. It is something else, and it just seems devine, or transcendental or not of this reality.

I am open to any conclusion, though, I think as people get older they tend to lean towards there being an afterlife. Which is something I do not think anyone will ever prove. And there is no harm in believing this, so why not hold on to this hope and faith? Being a devout rationalist over everything seems so boring. Faith is the cornerstone of many tenets of this life, why not the after?

I disagree, I think the key difference here regardless of whether it's on some level based on faith is that the scientific view is the most simplistic to account for the available evidence. I'm sorry if you find it boring but when it comes to having a good grip on reality it doesn't make sense to me to make liberal use of the imagination.

At the same time I don't think there's any reason for that perspective to mean the experience is any less important, the perspective being taken is quasi-objective, importance is something that occurs at the level of the individual. Of course psychedelic experiences don't hold any meaning on a grand scale, nothing does. It is our lot as conscious beings to develop our own sense of meaning for the world around us. I don't see why acknowledging that sensation of importance is mechanical should prevent one from enjoying those mechanics, quite the opposite.

But when we're sitting down to discuss these things seriously, it's good practice to abandon those private notions because they don't translate well into consensus reality. At the end of the day the most practical way to communicate is by using the most simple terms, hence the scientific approach. If specific groups of people should want to discuss the possibility of ethereal connections to other beings/realities I don't think there's anything wrong with that, except that it's probably best suited to take place somewhere other than an HR forum. r/psychonaut on reddit is a large community of such folks for instance.

I strongly take issue with Beenhead equating the Big Bang Theory (and science in general) with blind faith.

Science makes predictions and testable hypotheses. When scientists told us that mass and energy are fundamentally the same, they were able to demonstrate it in a rather dramatic fashion by taking a chunk of material with significantly more mass than the sum of its subatomic particles, and getting it to blow up in a fission chain reaction, releasing some of the excess energy in a massive nuclear blast.
Or how do you demonstrate how stars are able to radiate all that energy via nuclear fusion? Simple, you just simulate the conditions inside a star by sticking a bunch of fuseable hydrogen isotopes inside a nuclear fission bomb, creating an even more massive thermonuclear blast, and proving that the difference in mass between 2 deuterium nuclei and 1 helium nucleus is indeed being released as energy.

Compare that to Terrence McKenna, who wants us to accept his theories because he ate a "committed dose" of shrooms in silent darkness, tripping his balls off in a non-"namby-pamby" fashion.

(yes, I am aware that most scientists didn't need the atom/hydrogen bomb to convince them, I am just saying that science is often able to perform spectacular feats of thaumaturgy to convince even the stoutest non-believers).

You missed the point entirely

Or you are upset that I pointed out by trusting a mathematician on somethibng way more advanced than you are able to conprehend is in fact an act of faith. You may be able to, i dont know, but I am speaking of the absolute vadt majority of the population, and did not mention fusion, fission, or any testable hypothesis.

There are testable hypotheses (and I have a doctorate in chemistry) and there are non testable hypotheses, and the BBT is one of the latter. It may be able to be modeled, we can see its after effects in the CMB, and we may infer certain aspects just after it by studying rapidly decaying isotopes, but we will never directly measure it, or know what created it or what happebed before it

Moxious, check out the four quadrant / AQAL model originally proposed by Ken Wilber. He proposes that reality can be broken down into four quadrants with two axes, the Interior-Exterior and Individual-Collective.
Upper left is Interior-Individual (intentional). Upper right Exterior-Individual (Behavioral). Lower left Interior-Collective (Cultural). And lower right Exterior Collective (Social).

The problem with your perspective is that the "scientific approach" you speak of isn't actually very scientific at all. Science, as far as I have seen you speak of it and it is most commonly viewed as today, is focused only on and limited to that which has simple location, ie. the Exterior realms. Is the existence of a shared, unspoken set of cultural norms, mores, beliefs, and contracts (LL/Cultural quadrant) only liberal use of the imagination? If not, why does sociology and the study of culture predicate the use of the term science and the study and experience of the direct human experience not? While it may be easy for some to discard the Interior, citing it as purely subjective and non-indicative of "reality", it's relatively easy to show the effects of LL/IC/Cultural shifts and movements on the objective, or exterior, realms. Which, when shown to directly impact the UR and LR quadrants, not only uni-directionally, but bi-drectionally, in itself basically proves the tangibility, breadth, and "realness" of the UL or what would most commonly be referred to as "subjective" experience/realm. I would hope I don't have to explain why. I mean, there's all kinds of ways to assert the legitimacy of the internal world, whereas the denial of - or to bring in a larger current context, the material reductionist, physicalist worldview - the subjective all comes down to "where is it? how can I see it? how can I measure it?" ie. simple location. Tell me where your love for your mother lives. Does your inability to do so negate the reality of that experience?

Which is all a roundabout way to say, how can you assume that importance only occurs on the level of the individual? We don't understand our place in the universe well at all, from most any perspective.

But when we're sitting down to discuss these things seriously, it's good practice to abandon those private notions because they don't translate well into consensus reality. At the end of the day the most practical way to communicate is by using the most simple terms, hence the scientific approach.

There are so many problems here I don't even know where to begin.

P.S. I enjoy picking on you for two reasons, Moxious. One, you seem to think very similarly to how I did three years ago, I feel a resonance and weirdly flavored companionship with you. And, I have a selfish desire to convince you otherwise - other than your current worldview - because I have a story I'd be saving you time and effort, and I would have loved to be where I am now years ago.

Re: Hodor and Beenhead Big Bang discussion, I'd say it's pretty delusional to argue believing in the Big Bang isn't anymore an act of faith than believing in God. If I was to really invest, I'd even go so far as to say it's a bigger act of faith, considering God can be directly experienced. And, I don't really have a desire to go down that road :)

Ive eatem shrooms twice but in amsterdam city centre. Both times i connected to something but aomething very dark in me and something natural but incredibly frightening. Both trips were 8 to 10 years ago and i still remeber every single part as if it just happened. It was a profound and very unsettling experience. I believe you can commect with whatever is in your mind and soul. If it is nature then yes but if it is years of repressed darkness it could ruin you forever.

They are not to be messes with.

Moxious, check out the four quadrant / AQAL model originally proposed by Ken Wilber. He proposes that reality can be broken down into four quadrants with two axes, the Interior-Exterior and Individual-Collective.
Upper left is Interior-Individual (intentional). Upper right Exterior-Individual (Behavioral). Lower left Interior-Collective (Cultural). And lower right Exterior Collective (Social).

The problem with your perspective is that the "scientific approach" you speak of isn't actually very scientific at all. Science, as far as I have seen you speak of it and it is most commonly viewed as today, is focused only on and limited to that which has simple location, ie. the Exterior realms. Is the existence of a shared, unspoken set of cultural norms, mores, beliefs, and contracts (LL/Cultural quadrant) only liberal use of the imagination? If not, why does sociology and the study of culture predicate the use of the term science and the study and experience of the direct human experience not? While it may be easy for some to discard the Interior, citing it as purely subjective and non-indicative of "reality", it's relatively easy to show the effects of LL/IC/Cultural shifts and movements on the objective, or exterior, realms. Which, when shown to directly impact the UR and LR quadrants, not only uni-directionally, but bi-drectionally, in itself basically proves the tangibility, breadth, and "realness" of the UL or what would most commonly be referred to as "subjective" experience/realm. I would hope I don't have to explain why. I mean, there's all kinds of ways to assert the legitimacy of the internal world, whereas the denial of - or to bring in a larger current context, the material reductionist, physicalist worldview - the subjective all comes down to "where is it? how can I see it? how can I measure it?" ie. simple location. Tell me where your love for your mother lives. Does your inability to do so negate the reality of that experience?

Which is all a roundabout way to say, how can you assume that importance only occurs on the level of the individual? We don't understand our place in the universe well at all, from most any perspective.

I can't say I fully understand what you've said here, frankly I don't see the relevance of the model or how it helps convey your question. I'll respond to the statements I could understand.

Culture can be unspoken but it is always communicated in some way, often including by spoken word. I don't think it is purely internal, though someone/a group left to their own devices would surely develop their own cultural norms. To put it coarsely that's just how human brains work. It relies to some degree on imagination but not at all on some ethereal connection to the plane of culture.

I don't get the next sentence but I think you're saying the scientific method is newer than sociology, I think that's true but I don't see how age has anything to do with it.

The next part I struggled through but it seems you're establishing the existence of subjective reality, which I'm not debating at all. I do disagree with the concept of an immaterial subjective reality - subjective reality exists as a representation in our brain structure. Which leads into your next point, the location of a feeling. You're referring to phenomenological experience and how it can be reconciled with a material substrate. This is a thoroughly debated topic, usually focused on the sensation of pain and whether it is identical to the firing of 'c-fibers', i.e. the part of the human brain whose activity corresponds to the sensation of pain. There's a lot more to this than I can really explain well here but I'll make a few cursory points. The problem arises because you're crossing that boundary between external reality and internal reality, as you call them. The functionalist perspective provides clarity here, as when pain is seen as a function of the organism it's easier to recognize that while pain is not necessarily identical with c-fibers firing, it is identical with whatever mechanism in the organism serves to alert them to damage (or whatever the function of pain really is), which in the case of humans include c-fibers, of course only embedded in that organism. It seems obvious that c-fibers being induced to fire in a petri dish would cause no organism any pain.

All that to say that subjective experiences are as real as anything else, they are physical processes. The subjective experience is the 'underlying' mechanism. My love for my mother is in my brain.

How can I assume that importance only occurs on the level of the individual? Because what is important to me may be completely trivial to you or vice versa. It's not even an assumption, it's an observation.

There are so many problems here I don't even know where to begin.

P.S. I enjoy picking on you for two reasons, Moxious. One, you seem to think very similarly to how I did three years ago, I feel a resonance and weirdly flavored companionship with you. And, I have a selfish desire to convince you otherwise - other than your current worldview - because I have a story I'd be saving you time and effort, and I would have loved to be where I am now years ago.

Come on, you can do it! I believe in you!

I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself, psy, I always enjoy our conversations, though I don't feel like you're picking on me lol. I think you'll have a hard time of convincing me, certainly you haven't made any arguments thus far I haven't heard before but the possibilities are endless 8)

Some people are just hard headed rationalists. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it

I just think that the older I get and the more experience I gain the more i see that scientists are people too and they view even their work through their own ego and that there are things science either doesnt want to explain or cant.

mox,
I dont know your backround

But every single neuroscientist I know will tell you that we may be able to describe all these parts of conciousness at the tissue level and the chemical level, but not a single person can tell you how receptor activation and downsteam regulation create our reality

None can tell how psychedelics really alter conciousness, where the visions and patterns come from, and how DMT allows such intense alternate realities to form

Last edited:
Some people are just hard headed rationalists. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it

I just think that the older I get and the more experience I gain the more i see that scientists are people too and they view even their work through their own ego and that there are things science either doesnt want to explain or cant.

mox,
I dont know your backround

But every single neuroscientist I know will tell you that we may be able to describe all these parts of conciousness at the tissue level and the chemical level, but not a single person can tell you how receptor activation and downsteam regulation create our reality

None can tell how psychedelics really alter conciousness, where the visions and patterns come from, and how DMT allows such intense alternate realities to form

In his 1944 book 'What is Life?', Schrodinger posed the title question and argued that the obvious inability for the chemistry and physics to account for such events is no reason at all for doubting that they can be accounted for by those sciences.

That came up on reddit today and I found it a great response to your comment. I don't think I need to explain that neuroscience is in its infancy, I never claimed we have a complete understanding of the brain, but I do think we will one day attain one. At least I see no reason why not, the complaint of excessive reductionism needs to point out what is being missed in order to hold any water.

I don't know how else to answer other than saying it's the plant spirit.

Mushroom mycelium and their connections to the mycorrhizae of forests makes them function as a sort of ecological neural network, in my view. They not only function as mycoheterotrophs which transfer nutrients between all forest species, they also link the forest together in a biochemically interdependent way. I feel like it's the fungi of forests that are the "glue" of consciousness. You have the individual plants and then you have the messengers between them.

With mushrooms in particular I have always felt that they are trying to induce in your body what they are naturally inducing in the wilderness: a connection to all surrounding life. The same is true with all plant based psychedelics but there's something about mushrooms that are so heavy and so drawing into the earth that there's no ambiguity about what's happening. If a species spends its entire life and its entire being doing just that, then how can it not bring an echo of that to a person who ingests it?

I have seen such BEAUTIFUL images of landscapes and ]natural phenomena on mushrooms that I've never even seen with my own eyes. I remember once I took a heavy dose and passed out at the base of a tree. One of the visions I saw was a volcano erupting, its lava overflowing and entering the sea, and then forming land masses that evolved into island forests over millions of years. It was like watching a nature show but in hyper-coloured, god-consciousness reality. It was so, so beautiful. I've also had downright shamanic experiences, like falling down the hole of a log and ending up in what some traditions call the underworld, filled with animal/spirit like beings and other strange vistas.

It's why I can't do mushrooms indoors. I have to be outside.

Last edited:
Great post, Foreigner.

Mox, it's really quite an inarguable point if you understand the model. Oh well. Re: importance, do you determine whether water is necessary for life? No? Well then importance is not exclusive to the dimension of the individual. Meaning-making is, and in that way a certain slice of importance, but that's it. It is important for humans to curb their oil consumption, otherwise the entirety of the species and possibly the planet will perish. This affects however many levels higher than the individual. Again thus, importance is not limited to the individual. Which if true, considering the fractal nature of reality, would suggest that importance continues on into realms much bigger and complex then we humans can perceive and even imagine.

Ooh in re-reading this I've realized my line of reasoning actually brings us to another paradoxical question. It can be argue d that it is only a human's sense of importance that is attached to the continuity of life on Earth, maybe even sentient life as a whole as well. Who's to say that life has any importance besides what we give it? Well, what about the emergent nature of intelligence as observed in single celled algae? If life is self-organizing and time leads to greater complexity and thus evolution in biological systems, then wouldn't there be some importance? Nope, that could be argued. Hehehe the paradox goes all the way down. Great fun. It really comes back down to the existence or lack thereof of direct knowing of God, and thus significance/importance/meaning.

Again, these truths are self-evident, but only from direct experience. You'll never find the truth with logic. Only the partial truth.

In his 1944 book 'What is Life?', Schrodinger posed the title question and argued that the obvious inability for the chemistry and physics to account for such events is no reason at all for doubting that they can be accounted for by those sciences.

That came up on reddit today and I found it a great response to your comment. I don't think I need to explain that neuroscience is in its infancy, I never claimed we have a complete understanding of the brain, but I do think we will one day attain one. At least I see no reason why not, the complaint of excessive reductionism needs to point out what is being missed in order to hold any water.

You're not listening to those complaining if this is true in your world.

Re: neuroscience and the relationship of consciousness to the brain - how do you reconcile the many reports of consciousness continuing after brain function has ceased, after the fact corroborated by those also present, for instance naming what nurses were wearing in surgery, etc.?

I don't expect to convince you of anything, although I do hope. I enjoy pointing out the holes in your perspective more than anything =D

Last edited:
I love the thought of fungi being a neural network for nature, and its' trying to impart wisdom on us. But I am not quite there.

Yes, I believe neuroscience will over time map consciousness and the workings of the brain completely. But this to me is the interesting thing Staunch atheists and religious folks have in common. You see, many religious types seem to fear the progression of science, because they either overtly or unconsciously fear that it will challenge their faith.

Now, the atheist seems to feel that all religious people are drones who live in dark rooms, shunning culture, books and all intellectual pursuit. And in much the same way they dislike the evangelical nature of religion, they evangelize atheism to the masses. Not saying you are like this Mox, just a generalization!

I just feel that the odds of everything happening to create life, my life, this time, and the whole earth to be so insanely slim that there must be something more to nature than pure chance. Plus, the visions I get from psychedelics. Here is an example.

I have done Changa a few times in the last weeks.. small doses. The first time the pattern was like this beautifully interconnected neural network. in 3D and moving with colors running through it. The second time was more like a tunnel with aztec/myan looking faces moving around in it. Now, if the CEVs are supposed to be some misfiltered or raw data being transmitted to my visual cortex then why in the same situation, and the same drug, the CEVs dont look the same each time?
Seems to me if there was some sort of mathematical fractal nature behind the visions, then they would look the same when dosage, environment and drug were the same. And the fact that the brain creates these shapes out of thin air, most times patterns that I have never seen, nor have I any real cultural precedent for seeing. They arent like the delirious hallucinations one gets under the influence of belladonna, which are basically dreams leaking into waking consciousness. Nor are they like the phosphines and static behind sober closed eyelids which look the same all the time, because they are the result of normal neurological phenomena, and are the visual white noise and unfiltered data that is created by the mind.

How many neuroscientists have done Psychedelics? Not many. Most people think the visions are unimportant because they are subjective and a product of the users unconsciousness. But They should be studied, because their very nature, in my experience is the essence of something that I find to be related to the unexplained otherness of reality, life, death, and god. They are not a product of the unconscious, because they generally arent of a subject the user has any earthbound relationship with. So where do they form if they are not a product of the unconscious mind, unfiltered visual data, or archetypes of signal processing?

One last thing: When you encounter in one of your mathematical theories a large hole that is both unexplainable and damaging to the usefulness of the theory, it generally means you have the wrong model. Enter Dark Matter. Galaxies have so much mass they should fly apart. So physicists have completely made up dark matter to explain this instead of getting a new theory. No one has proven its existence, it cant be measured, and it cant me handled. But we apparently are surrounded by it. Are we sure its there or is the theory bad?
What if dark matter is the transcendental other? or God, and psychedelics like Mushrooms are its way of communicating with us to change our ways ? Just spitballing there at the last bit

Finally, Ive been on BL for almost 20 years. Its more than a HR forum. It and especially the psychedelics board is a place for any serious openminded discussion of the phenomenon produced under influence of psychedelics.

Great post, Beenhead.

I'm not sure I agree that neuroscience will ever completely map consciousness and the brain. I'd actually argue it's impossible, considering the phenomena of NDEs and other situations of awareness without brain function. And, it seems like you have a nice grasp of the various dualistic perspectives that dominate this subject.

Yeah
My dissertation was on traumatic brain injury and its implications in Alzheimers.

My relatives always ask me when we will find a cure to it, and after my work had finished, being the jaded post doc, I always answered it never will!
Its just too complex an issue, and to cure AD would be tantamount to reversing the aging process.

But when Im more reflective I feel like eventually we may yet find the answers to many of the mysteries of the brain.

Maybe depends on my mood!