View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

shroomage or non-shroomage?

AlexTheAverage

Greenlighter
hi guys, found a field with trees that only have branches that start about 1 and a half metres up, so it's like a canopy with mushrooms growing everywhere underneath, my friend says they are magic shrooms, I'm not as willing to eat so I took some pics and wondered if somebody with experience could tell me if they are safe to eat or not. I mean even if they are they look pretty disgusting but.

s8.postimg.org/vktaby477/shroomageornotshroomage.jpg

thanks

Hi alex, welcome to PD / bluelight :)

Don't eat random mushrooms believing they are Psilocybe Cubensis (the magic shroom species these are supposed to be), unless you can mycologically determine that they are and why they are not possible lookalikes.

We don't allow ID threads on this forum anyway.
Sorry to disappoint.

The shroomery is a site that may take this matter further, if you wish. It is allowed there in the mushroom hunting section I believe, and their advice may help.

Meanwhile refrigerate the mushrooms in a paper bag for a few days or dry them immediately over a slow blowing fan, optionally very moderate warmth, and for the final bit some desiccant. The shroomery is not guaranteed to help you out before they go bad without conserving them!

I'd personally toss them, I eat picked mushrooms like say Boletes only if - like I said - I can tell what they are, I know what the closest lookalikes are and know that those lookalikes are not unsafe.

I would say just don't eat them unless they bruise blue. cubes get blue bruises on their stems. Even then, it's still eating random mushrooms you picked. If you absolutely insist I'd preform an edibility test at the very least. They could be galerinas which look a lot like psilocybin mushrooms but are deadly. My intentions behind this post are purely harm reduction, this is the easiest way to tell if your mushrooms are gonna kill you or not.

Indole bruising is just one of several determination tests to be done. If you only do one test/check but not the others you have not excluded enough mushrooms, this has a risk of giving you a false sense of security.

Indole bruising is just one of several determination tests to be done. If you only do one test/check but not the others you have not excluded enough mushrooms, this has a risk of giving you a false sense of security.

Indeed, none (and I mean zero) of my homegrown cubes for over 3.5 years have ever bruised blue. So I think that means squat :)

Tom

I actually think you're growing inedibles there, Thomas

(jk)

While 'bruising blue' isn't really something you can use to determine if what you have IS cubensis, very many of our home grown ones bruise blueish when handled. No idea what's going on with your grows, Thomas, but they're obviously active haha

While 'bruising blue' isn't really something you can use to determine if what you have IS cubensis, very many of our home grown ones bruise blueish when handled. No idea what's going on with your grows, Thomas, but they're obviously active haha

I've purchased 'commercial' Cubes in the last few years that did bruise blue (and were heavily blued by the time I received them), but the most I could say was that my mushrooms sometimes bruised a darkish grey when handled (not always). Maybe it's because I always picked them with nitrile gloves and they went straight in the dehydrator; and from there into ziplocs for storage.

Do they bruise before or after drying (or both)? Obviously I've never picked wild mushrooms :)

Golden Teachers, Z's, Cambodian and Amazonian are what I've grown, and always from spore syringes, or home made spore syringes made from home made prints. I managed to keep one spore syringe alive for ~2 years by taking prints at least once from every grow.

Tom

Do not eat them, they cold be toxic or deadly.

Contact a mycologist or botanist, you will not find someone like this on either erowid, reddit, or the shroomery, and ask them what type and species of mushroom they are.

If you want the psychedelic type there are various other much more safer ways to do this.

there are old mushroom pickers, and bold mushroom pickers....but generally no old and bold mushroom pickers.

Indeed, none (and I mean zero) of my homegrown cubes for over 3.5 years have ever bruised blue. So I think that means squat :)

Tom

I think it's mostly just a genetic factor. In any case, blue-bruising mushies that look like cubes are a pretty safe bet to get high from.

Excellent harm reduction.. 8) You are welcome to place your own bets, for others it's a different story.