View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

shroom growing

LucidShroomDmtier

Bluelighter
i was wondering if horse or goat shit is as good as cows shit , and what kind of compost is ussuallyy used mixed in (i have really wide perception on what is compost) , and if any grains would be ok i have wheat and quaker and rice (im not sure if quaker is rye ) , now i wanted to sterilize that all in oven due to lack of pre/coooker and i need a way to sterile air with no UV.

for b+ psilocybensis mushies. =D

Don't bake goat shit in an oven; you will regret that.

Follow a mushroom growing tek to the letter, if you wanna grow them... and don't use manure, it's too easy to get it contaminated.

Hehe, I used cow manure once for Panaeolus and nothing happened, it did not even get contam'd lol. Still, was sad to see all those trays totally stalled.

How much experience with growing do you have already, Lucid?

Grains are the way to go for Cubensis in my opinion, save the manure for species that are really picky about their substrate. But if you wanna know: horse shit is fine as well, goat shit I'd say it depends because those animals are the true definition of omnivore and what they get to eat determines if the manure is any good.
Any manure needs to be 'cured' by letting the piss and other stuff seep away, so fresh poo is too harsh to use for the fungus. It needs to be weathered, maybe some washing away, drying out again, etc.

I've done a couple of dozen bulk grows using pasteurized cow shit. pasteurize it DO NOT sterilize it or you'll get contams.
You'll need to do a couple of spawn bags for inoculation. Goat shit should work fine, I've heard good things about it but personally, I've only used cow and horse poop.

Like Sekio said..."find a tek and follow it to the letter".

Manure needs a lot more than weathering, washing, and drying; to get properly sterilised manure it usually must be stored in large heaps for upwards of a month to ferment; the heat generated via metabolism is sufficient to kill almost all detrimental organisms, around 140 C. (and if done on a very large scale, can actually ignite the manure too...)

If you insist on using manure go buy composted manure. Don't do it yourself.

Stick to WBS or BRF if you don't have much experience growing (and by much I mean quite a few successful yields). Unless you know enough to manage conditions on the fly then it's not worth your time/effort to move onto manure.

This thread just made me wonder about shroom growing myself.

Couple questions:

1) is it actually legal to buy spores?

I've heard it is, but it seems so crazy that it would be, like as if it were legal to buy pot seeds. It should all be legal IMO, but hey, still seems odd.

2) is it hard to grow shrooms and how long does it usually take?

3) can you grow them without the use of manure of any kind?

4) if you were going to dry out your own for usage, how would you dry them and what type of scale would you use to weigh them out?

It's funny because if in fact it's easy and legal I don't know why it was always so hard to wait for shrooms to "come around" when I was in college. If anyone can legally grow them then anyone could have them at any time, yet it was always so "special" when shroom season came back when I was in school.

Thanks

1) is it actually legal to buy spores?

For research purposes only. The moment you cultivate them it's illegal.

2) is it hard to grow shrooms and how long does it usually take?

No, if you stick to a TEK and don't screw around 'trying new things'. About few months gremination to final flush

3) can you grow them without the use of manure of any kind?

Yes, no manure needed

4) if you were going to dry out your own for usage, how would you dry them and what type of scale would you use to weigh them out?

In front of a fan for a couple of days, then in a dessicate chamber till they're completely dry. Any scale that measures 0.5 grams. They're not that sensitive that you need a milli/microgram scale.

It's funny because if in fact it's easy and legal

It's not legal.

so you say i can just inject the spores on pasteurized whole grains mix ? like no need to mix manure compost and grains? i was researching teks when those questions occured? acctually the site that sells them says they grow on on compost,manure,grains and take 2 -3 weeks to fruiting and propably another week to reach 30cm max if the proper humidity is sustained .
It would be really nice if they needed only grains .
my neibhor though got a horse on his yard and i propably gonna find dung lying around for months , but anyways here where i live there are alot of farmers too and i guess some of them should use manure besides pure nitrics fertilizers

Sekio: i would do that outdoors.

Solipsis :i acctually gonna do it first time with mushies but i have grown diffrent plants in my life and some weed both indoors and outdoors , but as i said some time before i love biology and am acustomed with lab etiquete i got even a white robe and gloves and mask and a hat and glasses and im thinking of using a tent for my mushies. and i got a feeling i have 80-85% odds to not screw up .

just wondering whether is dung gonna give better results ,

damn i wish they had these azurences spicies in stock they fucking grow on woodchips , and are amongst the most potent

and the thing is im pretty sure i cant find brown rice flour thats why im trying ways around it , and those whole grain american rice they sell here is damn expensive .

Get that goat shit in the oven at 150 centigrade. Don't let the farmer catch you stealing from his goats tho.

and the thing is im pretty sure i cant find brown rice flour thats why im trying ways around it , and those whole grain american rice they sell here is damn expensive .

That's why I mentioned the WBS tek (Wild Bird Seed) it's cheap as hell and you can find it everywhere.

You will never get results within 3 weeks from injecting the spores. You need at least that for the substrate to colonize.

You have to remember that they have to germinate first. And even in ideal conditions they aren't that fast (some species of mushrooms are noticably faster than others, but still, 2 weeks is a minimum) and once the substrate has colonized 100% (to your eye) it's good practice to give them another 1-2 weeks to colonize internally. Then you have 1-3 weeks to form primordia and another week on top of that to fruit.

The absolute minimum to get from injecting to fruiting is 6 weeks with perfect conditions.

Get that goat shit in the oven at 150 centigrade. Don't let the farmer catch you stealing from his goats tho.

Buy a bag or two of sterile rye and noc that for your spawn...in reality though, you have no idea how difficult shrooms can be...I do and I'm gonna suggest you buy a kit...a bag kit is best to start with for some decent flushes.
Don't try bulk until you have some exp....you'll be disappointed.

I've actually been wondering, would it be possible for a layman to make his own spawnbricks? I mean, is it possible to keep your spore culture multiplying some way? So one could have perpetual mushroom growing.

Buy a bag or two of sterile rye and noc that for your spawn...in reality though, you have no idea how difficult shrooms can be...I do and I'm gonna suggest you buy a kit...a bag kit is best to start with for some decent flushes.
Don't try bulk until you have some exp....you'll be disappointed.

you are everythng am standing against , im not gonna buy a grow kit even if you put a gun on my head.

Once I bought a kit and it contaminated on me, so yeah it isn't even a guarantee for the rather lazy among us.

Aside from that, it can be a chore but if you are of the researching variety it can also be fun in the meanwhile. The thing is, you just have to keep it interesting for yourself so always check what kinds of things are possible and what's ahead. Growing shrooms totally isn't gonna work if you are only interested in crops, you have to be curious about the whole process & theory etc IMO.

@Fagott: you can perpetuate a culture, sure. It is just that once every so often you have to actually mate your fungi so that they can diversify genetically, otherwise they will degenerate and show what is called senescence (they become a geriatric form of fungus which sucks ass). To do this you have to go through the reproduction stage of producing fruiting bodies (reproductive organs), spores and the stage where genetics combine. After that the fungus is more like an individualized differentiated organism, which has weaknesses and sickness, genetic errors and perhaps shrinking teleomers all of that piles up and you gotta wipe the slate clean and start over again.
Keeping a culture in the fridge puts it in stasis, but still the proper thing to do is to get a piece of agressively enthousiastic fungus and propagate it, then select the best sectors in petri dishes and repeat a few times. That allows you to isolate a monoculture, not sure if that is most analogous to just breeding or even eugenetic engineering... but that will really give you great stuff.

At any point of the perpetuation of the master culture I just described you can take pieces off and turn them into spawn so that is definitely a yes.

Just remember that like I said earlier, you wouldn't only be "multiplying" the same culture, that culture will turn into other cultures in future generations. It has to keep evolving, recombinining. You can stretch a bit with cloning though.

Last edited:
another week to reach 30cm max if the proper humidity is sustained

your mushies will not grow this size unless your growing a fair bulk,
my first substrate was about 1 an half inch deep in a ice cream tub ........ they shrooms fully grown were tiny lol

Sure, but also it is always either few big ones or many small ones.

you are everythng am standing against , im not gonna buy a grow kit even if you put a gun on my head.

Well, you can be an idealist or you can eat some shrooms...nothing wrong with STARTING with a kit THEN trying bulk...your choice bro.
you're looking at 6-8 weeks minimum either way.
I always liked Koh Samui, GT's and Cams.