• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Should morality be based on concepts or empathy?

psychedelicsoul

Bluelighter
In my book, there's three ways to approach moraliy.
Empathy based... which uses feelings to determine right and wrong
Concept based... which is me, that's where you use an idea
Society based... which is when right and wrong are determined by social norms and ideas that are collectively agreed upon.

Here's a question? Why do atheists care about morals or ethics? Why do atheists care about teen suicide? Animal abuse? Global warming? Wars that don't involve them?
There's no god right? Morality is subjective? It doesn't effect you right? We aren't even real, our consciousness is just a phenomenon caused by the brain and is the result of electrical signals
(If I believed that, I'd probably go crazy, and start bashing my head against a brick wall to prove that I have free will)
Well, that's because atheists aren't sociopaths. They can feel empathy like anyone else can. And their feelings tell them that a 12 yr old girl offing herself over being bullied is sad.

However, that's not how I work... I hold some shockingly cold moral views, especailly on suicide. Is it cause I'm a sick fuck? No, it's because I practice concept based morality. My concept is free will and individuality. Messing with free will is only acceptable as a weapon for defense of ones own or anothers free will.
Rape is wrong because it violates free will
Murder is wrong because it violaes free will
Suicide is always okay, because of free will.
Bullying is semi-wrong because it hurts peoples feelings unnessasarilly, however, the degree of it's wrongness varies
Disowning your kids isn't wrong because of free will
Lying is a weapon, like violence. A cop lying to catch a child molester is good. However, lying for any other reason but to protect the lives or freedoms of another is wrong. Fuck empathy. I call transwomen men and fat women unnattractive... because otherwise, I'd be lying. And lying is wrong because it interferes with free will. If I believe my girlfriend is a girl, and she's secretly not. My free will has been violated because my knowledge has been altered from reality through deception... Free will cannot exist without knowledge. Any decision you make based on a lie or falsehood is a violation of your free will.
Telling a fat woman she's pretty isn't that bad of a lie... Because beauty is subjective. However, if you tell a fat woman that YOU think she's pretty then she'll get the false conception that more people will find her pretty. When odds are, if you really think she's ugly, other people will too.
(This by the way, is the reason I'm not getting married)
Insulting her will... I have more respect for someone who's an asshole and says, "Well, why don't you date a marine biologist, they like whales" (burn), than a liar. However, the insult is an attack on her feelings. And emotions also hinder free will. I believe that a strong commitment to spirituality can transcend that, but most people aren't there yet. The average person will have their free will harmed by their feelings being hurt.
So lying, hurting peoples feelings, and violence are wrong unless used for the purpose of defending our free will and individuality or that of anothers.
TL;DR
I take the concept of individuality and free will, and form judgments of right and wrong based on it, rather than using empathy. I'm a very unsympathetic guy and can sometimes be cold or even cruel. So for me, it's better to create a uniform code of morality than use natural judgement.
I determined after graduating high school that bullying kids was wrong due to beliefs. Feeling bad doesn't make you morally superior than one who doesn't, if both of you have the same moral view.

However, others may think just like me... but instead of individualism, they use utilitarianism, or traditionalism, or collectivism, or social darwinism... However, most people don't use any and allow their sense of empathy to make the decision on right or wrong. I'm not in favor of that. I think our emotions are inherently bias and won't allow a good moral judgement. I believe nature is inherently amoral. Therefore, so is our emotions. Man made ideas are much better than natural judgement.

What does being non religious/not believing in a god has to do with moral and ethics ? There is no direct connection in my mind. I think you are confused. Man made ideas ARE natural judgment. Man made ideas ARE based on emotions and they try to explain them so we use them wisely. With no emotions you can't act on pure logic. Surviving/eating/sex is all part of insticts/emotions and they have no logic whats so ever. For example the all philosophical question : why am I here ? Why should I be alive ? Same with life, we can't explain it yet you live eat etc..... So as far as your very basis of existence you can't even use your man made logic. The 3 ways you mention are in fact the same yet different, there is no pure social , because social came from instict and concepts , concepts are based on insticts.

I use whatever it feels right at that moment. If I see a girl with a nice ass I want to fuck her. Thats my instict speaking, but then logic/concept comes and tries to explain my insticts. I will tell to myself "Wait man you need to find out if she is a girl for you or not, last time you saw a nice ass you fucked her and stayed with her in a relationships and you got yourself in a really bad situation , only because of that ass, so lets wait to meet her first and if she is a nice girl then go on" . Later I will meet this girl to my friends and I will also ask about their opinion cause they might see something that I dont, so thats the social aspect....

There is no free will when it comes to life. Noone chose to be born yet nobody really ends their lives. You live a life you were force upon you. Your free will is so limited that its basically non existent, how to spend your day what to eat and then again we can argue there is nothing free about it.