• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Should I stay, or should I go?

What 23

Ex-Bluelighter
New Apartment. First time I open the door the thought "Smells like wet dog!" enters my mind. The carpet has been shampooed recently, and was still wet. The guys who did it didn't turn the heater on to dry the place thoroughly, and it has probably been wet a few days. It's not warm though. There's a stain in the center of the room.

I thought the smell might be residual shampoo left in the carpet, but I got it steam cleaned today and it actually smells worse.

I am thinking that

A. Previous tenant had a dog and while they were away at work or something, this dog had accidents. I don't see anything obvious, though, but maybe the brown stain (which could be something else).

B. The wetness of the shampooing got down to and under the padding, and into the flooring, and caused mold/mildew growth.

C. Both, and mold and bacteria from urine/feces of animal being there..

I still have possession of my other apartment, which I am in right now. I was exiting this one to escape a neighbor that uses fragrances- an air freshener that overwhelms the hallway (fucking bitch, you don't pay for the entire hall), but I am now thinking I should stay. When I made the decision to move I was stressing about her being right next to me, and the smell in the hall, and sometimes smells that come through the ventilation of our bathroom (when she shampoos her hair). I used to have my area on one side, closer to her, but I have moved. I don't use that space anymore, other than to walk through, which is fine with me. I've grown accustomed to holding my breath, or using a particulate respirator to filter out the chemicals that make up the fragrance, when in the hall. It makes me look like sub zero/scorpion, but I am cool with that. To mention, I have anxiety, and headaches, among other symptoms, dealing with man-made fragrances. Strong air fresheners make me feel like I'm huffing fumes... In fact I can be around gasoline seemingly easier than I can those, or perfumes.

My apartment has it's own issues, besides. I really have to clean.

I'm pretty sure I have a good enough reason to back out of the move, now with the stain in the carpet, steam cleaning, and no change in smell (it's actually worse now). I signed a lease for that one, but it should be fine, don't you think?

I really want to get out of here, but it's like I'd be moving from bad to worse in this situation, I'm thinking.

It did get better. I added many plants to filter the air, when I thought the apartment was offgassing something (shampoo was on mind)- peace lilies, golden pothos, and one other kind the name of which escapes me, but about 8 plants in total... two fairly large, two medium, and four or so small ones. They're from what I read, really good at filtering out things toxic to animal life like us. This made it so I didn't get a headache to be in there, but I still smell this musty, dog smell, and I can't imagine enjoying that. But I have been on the fence, too, because the plants did really help out, from before I would get a headache from being in there, and feel a little disoriented, and now not quite as much, and the air quality is probably better, because of those plants. But, I can just move those over here. Still, this place is a dump. I'm just used to it. But I can clean it.

I'm supposed to turn my key in for this place in about 40 hours or so. I still haven't decided... But I keep on running back to this place, because it's familiar. I haven't even began to move things over there, or clean this one. I think I'm staying, and looking for a house or something. I just don't think I'm going to get that wet-dog smell out of the carpet unless I tear it out, and replace, it, and I don't feel like huffing glue.

Last edited:
How cheap is your landlord that they can't just replace that shitty, waste laden carpet with a newer one? Have you tried asking if that's a possibility?

I'm also sensitive to fragrances. They're a migraine trigger for me. Is there any way to report your inconsiderate neighbor to some kind of tenancy board in your city? If it's a health hazard then you deserve to have your case heard. If you have medical proof and witnesses of this issue then so much the better.

I used to have a neighbour who did wood-glue projects in his apartment. I think he was a carpenter of some kind. The fumes from the glue would go down the hallway. I would have daily migraines, and asked him directly to stop. Eventually I talked to neighbours and there were others who were having health problems from the fumes, one of them a child. Our shitty landlord wouldn't do anything about it, so we filed a group complaint with the city. An inspector came and told the guy that he had to rent a proper space for building and couldn't use his residential suite.

How cheap is your landlord that they can't just replace that shitty, waste laden carpet with a newer one? Have you tried asking if that's a possibility?

I'm also sensitive to fragrances. They're a migraine trigger for me. Is there any way to report your inconsiderate neighbor to some kind of tenancy board in your city? If it's a health hazard then you deserve to have your case heard. If you have medical proof and witnesses of this issue then so much the better.

I used to have a neighbour who did wood-glue projects in his apartment. I think he was a carpenter of some kind. The fumes from the glue would go down the hallway. I would have daily migraines, and asked him directly to stop. Eventually I talked to neighbours and there were others who were having health problems from the fumes, one of them a child. Our shitty landlord wouldn't do anything about it, so we filed a group complaint with the city. An inspector came and told the guy that he had to rent a proper space for building and couldn't use his residential suite.

I think I told them, when I set up the move, that I didn't want new carpet, as I am also sensitive to chemical smells. I can't stand to be in a new car, without feeling like I am sniffing glue the entire time- not that I have ever done that purposely, but I imagine. But with all of the offgassing that might come from new carpet, I wanted something more worn. I just had no idea it would have that musty, "wet dog" smell. I believe it might have been a spill that was neglected, or a pet accident. I've heard of others saying they have that smell when their carpet is shampooed, too. I'm pretty sure most people have slight mold in their homes, and don't realize it, but this was making me somewhat dizzy to be in.

In my current place (still here, waiting to see what I'm allowed to do) I get reactions as well, but that is my own doing- I think. I rarely ever clean... anything. There is dust. I never sweep, because it kicks up dust. But I think I'm going to have to tough it out and put on a respirator, and go to it with a heavy duty vac. The one I have won't cut it. And just give it a thorough cleaning.

The problem right now is that they rented it out already, the apartment I have been in. I may be forced to move, either to the one I was going to, and suffer neurological symptoms, or to another (or, go live with my parents for awhile, and commute to work). I told them I would take the rent hike that I was going to take for the new place, to stay here, and let the other guy take the new place for the lower price they promised. Maybe he won't have an issue with it. It's also slightly bigger, and has a walk in closet, so I think he would want it.

They offered me a fully remodeled apartment, but again, I am wondering about the offgassing problems. Brand new carpet. Brand new everything. The one time I rented a car, it was brand new, and by the time I was done with it my throat was being choked off from the fumes. If I had more of a say in the materials used I might consider it.

That's kind of how I feel with this... a little choked off no matter what I do. I'm not sure why I keep pouring money into staying at an apartment... when I should just be working on getting a house, and redoing it as green as possible. But that takes money.

As for the air fresheners, I don't think that would go anywhere. People don't recognize those as pollutants, and most don't think of people like us as having a real affliction. It seems they don't connect that smell equals matter in the air, which you breath. I feel like I have a right to breath as clean air as possible. These air fresheners- glade plug-ins, or whatever, release countless chemicals on a continuous basis. The industry lacks regulation. Only recently did some of the worst offenders have their products pulled from the shelves. That's the problem with how our market is run. Companies will keep saying that their product isn't harmful, to sell their product. People buy these at Wal-Mart, and drug stores. They assume it's completely fine, when even if it is "safe" for most people, they are still breathing in vapors of oils which have no purpose for human health, and have been linked to a variety of illnesses, and even developmental problems in children. Even if it is "safe", it's obnoxious (it's noxious), it's offensive, it's overwhelming of any other smell. It's like a guy in the room that keeps talking over everyone else and won't let anyone else talk. I keep on trying to say it's like... But I'm just trying to relate it. The stuff should be banned outright. I also work in the medical industry- well, delivering medical stuff... And I often run into the stuff in hospitals, and nursing homes, where it is being phased out in many places like that, but some just have no idea I guess. When I have mentioned how ironic it is that in these nursing homes, people are trying to get healthy, and they're being flooded with petrochemical scents, saying how they are not healthy for people to be around, staff kind of laugh and say it's either that or the smells around there... I tend to deal with it okay at lower levels, anymore, as long as exposure is minimal. There is a mental element, but it still is something I find totally unnecessary, and "cheap", and offensive to the senses.

I just don't think it will be recognized, for me now. It could be my experience so far that has reinforced that, and people's, including my own families/family's lack of changing when I bring it up. If it was something like you mentioned, someone using industrial products in a residential building, I know I could have some luck, but again, "But I bought it at Wal-Mart, and I'm using it like it's meant to be used!". People are consumers. So many don't think.

Only a few years ago I used the same stuff- air fresheners, in my car. I was also a frequent sufferer of headaches (not that I'm not now, but I have more awareness of the causes), a cigarette smoker, and a sometimes 8 a day ibuprofen user. I never used those plug-ins though.. They always seemed too strong, I think. But I guess my point that I'm getting to... I didn't connect it, and I doubt many people do, and many just don't get it. So many people live in unawareness, eating highly processed foods, eating and smoking everything that comes off the assembly line that they say is for that, rarely questioning. I used to too.

Really, the smell in the place they offered me isn't that strong. I notice it now, and then I don't hardly at all, once I'm in there. I put a ton of plants in there, and I think that has helped, but there is still a dizziness, or just a feeling "off", that I don't really feel like exposing myself to on a regular basis.

OP is a fan of The Clash.

I had to look that up. But the song was in my head.

I thought it was a lot newer than that, but it was interesting to see that the album that that song was on came out a day before my birth. Ha.

Last edited:
originally separate post. update on situation.

What kind of insect is this (question I had)

-

Some kind of "pede", perhaps... I am not sure. I am sure they are "moisture loving". I've been finding them all around the edges of the apartment I am supposed to be moving into, which has a heavy musty odor. The management is denying it up and down, and has claimed to have sent people to the place, and found nothing. Tonight I noticed these. I found clusters of them in all corners of the apartment, so I can only assume they are likely to be under the carpeting as well throughout.

I'm trying to gain leverage in the argument with the management (this word is beyond them...). They have been threatening me, and acting like I am the one who is being trouble. When I asked if they could replace the carpet, they refused to acknowledge that anything was wrong with the place, claiming they had tested it. They stuck it to me, telling me I would have to pay over 400 bucks if I wanted, or to take another apartment that was ready on Friday (it's being renovated now, and everything will be new, but it will be 50 bucks more, and I'd have to deal with heavy glue smells and all that fun which I don't really want), or leave.

In the end I hope to be reimbursed the extra money I will have spent on this apartment while having possession of two (had a five day moving period originally), as it is in my astute opinion, unlivable, and I have been arguing that from the day after I got it, but they have been fighting it. I hope to be able to exit without paying a penalty for breaking a lease, also, if I choose to go that direction.

I know this pertains to same subject as my other recent thread in this forum (Should I stay or should I go?). I wanted to ask this specific question, though, because I'm trying to figure out what they eat (mold, rotting stuff...?).

Please feel free to merge after answered, or creatively merge to highlight this question...

Thanks for any light on this.

-

duh.. answered. millipede. I answered my question. For some reason I kept coming up with different pictures. And they do eat decay. My nose is right.

Torch those devils.
(the bugs), but you could torch the landlord or management on your way out too.

Ha. I actually had a thought, in passing, of setting fire to the main office. But the actual manager has been really professional, once the issue actually got to her... Once I dealt with her directly. I'm not saying she is perfect, in that before I think she was putting the problem off to her staff, but she has been a lot better than her assistant. Her assistant is renowned for not being very nice. And I'd say generally not doing a very good job of serving the customers. The problem is seemingly that most of the people that check these things, and set these apartments up do half ass jobs. Its a get it done mentality. Sweep things under the carpet, literally, per the image of broken glass under the carpet. It really shouldn't be the managements job to micromanage everything.

It seems there must be a qualification gap. Or a gap in people who give a fuck, and people who don't. I couldn't never do a job like this, and leave glass under the carpet. I could never take the word of some "professional" as stone, without doing my own research, and or asking specific questions. But in business, people are always trying to outsource, and minimize work.

Another problem is routing responsibility to other parties, who route responsibility to other parties. It just thins the blame. Its hard to find a head. People suck, sometimes. Nobody takes full responsibility.

The millipedes have been "dead" for awhile. Some of these are just their shells seemingly. The insides are gone.

I'm out of that apartment. Still in my old one. But I need to be out in like a day.

Kind of ranting on.

Last edited: