• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Should I get a lawyer?

OnCloud9

Bluelighter
Hey all,

So long story short, a close friend of mine died today, while he was on his way to work. Thats all I know for now. However a a few days ago, I sent my friend some texts about burning weed/trading meds for weed. Its highly unlikely he OD'd, since I know he has tried that med before and im nearly certain he took them a day or more prior to his death.

The cops call me today, saying they'd like to me come into the station to talk to them regarding the nature of the texts. They said I'm not in any trouble or anything and asked if I could come in at my convience.

Does this seem suspicious? I said I'd try and come in tomorrow to talk to them. Should I get a lawyer before speaking to them?

Thanks

I doubt you need a lawyer, but you also need to say nothing to them. Just keep repeating, 'I will not answer based on legal advice.' Don't volunteer ANY explanations, don't try to get out of it, don't answer just a few Q's then clam up. Right from the start, say nothing.

You can also, after a short time, ask something like, "have I done anything wrong?" then, "am I free to go?" and if they say yes, walk out. Many people get in trouble because they forgot to ask those 2 questions. Or they tried to explain things and get in a tangle

I doubt you need a lawyer, but you also need to say nothing to them. Just keep repeating, 'I will not answer based on legal advice.' Don't volunteer ANY explanations, don't try to get out of it, don't answer just a few Q's then clam up. Right from the start, say nothing.

You can also, after a short time, ask something like, "have I done anything wrong?" then, "am I free to go?" and if they say yes, walk out. Many people get in trouble because they forgot to ask those 2 questions. Or they tried to explain things and get in a tangle

This

But, make sure you come prepared and have a lawyer already setup or at the very least, have a lawyers details with you just in case you do wind up needing one. If the police wind up telling you go ahead and call your lawyer, you want to have someone ready to go.

sorry to hear about your friend. concerning you ... you gave this person drugs, they died, and now the police want to question you about drug related texts. talk to a lawyer. before you talk to the police.

Well I spoke with a constable yesterday. I did not get a lawyer however, but he told me I won't be charged. I just needed to give some more backround on his drug use/history because they were working in the dark.

Tragically, I'm thinking my buddy died from too much codiene with apap over time, and an unknown black powder they found in his room. He will be greatly missed, may he rest in peace.