• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Should I be concerned about my drug use?

Outermostline

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, this is the first thread I've started on this site and I would like to get honest opinions from people on here on how serious/dangerous my drug use patterns are.

First I would like to say I know that this post may seem silly as you probably think I should be able to judge my actions on my own...unfortunately noone in my family knows I am still using drugs, and I can't tell them or they'd be heartbroken and worried constantly, and the majority of my friends use as much or more than I do and therefore tend to have the mindset that they and I are invincible and can keep using substances at the rate we have been forever. So I don't have anyone to give me advice or tell me "Hey, maybe you should lay it off today bud, you've been spending all of your extra cash on dope lately".

So here is my story. I have been using drugs for about 8 years now, and I am in my early 20s. The first substance I ever tried to get a buzz off was alcohol at age 13. Even for my first buzz ever, it gave me a feeling that not many other drugs do, and not a very nice feeling, more of a flu-like state along with the mild euphoria and loss of motor control...to this day, I never liked alcohol enough to form a habit. Next came cigarettes shortly after my first time getting drunk, which I hated even more than alcohol. I only ever smoke stoags when I am on some other substance which is complimented by the nicotine buzz.

Now moving on to age 14, I tried weed, instantly fell in love, and continue to smoke once or twice a day almost every day, other than when I take a tolerance break for a good week or two once every couple of months. (I am not concerned with my marijuana usage at all)
A year later I tried my first E pill and I remember peaking on my first roll, thinking "It can't get any better than this". Several years and many rolls later, I no longer feel the effects of MDMA. I am almost certain this is because I took it waaaaaay too often in my high school days, popping it every other friday for almost 2 years. I decided to lay it off for a while after the last few rolls I had back then. I remember feeling that "magic" feeling which cannot be described in words completely gone after my first 20 or so times, and it became a lot more tweaky and uncomfortable, almost like amphetamine (I've seen the M crystals tested multiple times I've bought and it came up clean so I know it's not due to RCs/bunk molly). So now I haven't had MDMA in over a year and am planning to take a point or two soon to see if that magic that I miss so much will come back or if I've actually ruined xtc for myself forever.

The only part that concerns me about my previous MDMA usage is the irreversible damage I may have already done to my serotonin receptors. However, the main reason I decided to post this all is around 16 I got into cocaine, amphetamines, benzos, and painkillers; mainly oxy and morphine. Ever since I was 16-17, I would teeter on the brink of addiction from time to time, going on stimulant binges for 3 or more days, and every time I would only stop when I: a) threw up from keeping an empty stomach, b)collapsed and passed out from exhaustion, or c) ran out of cocaine or speed. These binges happened 2-4 times a month throughout the end of my high school and up until recently, when I decided that it would be best to stay away from stimulants as much as possible after I accepted the fact that I was seriously damaging my heart and circulatory system as well as my brain...It's almost as if I am not able to even think the same way anymore. Any time I smell gasoline I will have flashbacks of my seshs and start thinking about buying some nice yay and just spending the whole day doing lines at home. As for amphetamine, I now feel that its negative effects outweigh its positive ones, similar to how MDMA is to me now, so I don't do speed at all anymore because I can no longer tolerate the high. Cocaine on the other hand, I still enjoy way more than I should and have a hard time keeping it out of my thoughts on a daily basis.

To cope with this, I started taking sedatives almost every day - usually xanax, sometimes zolpidem instead, although I would probably replace those with an opiate habit if painkillers were easily available in my area. I always make sure not to take the downers every day for long periods of time, forcing myself to leave them alone for at least a full 2 days out of every week to avoid addiction. The xanax seems to control my urge to do more tempting drugs nicely, but has given me some annoying side effects, namely not being able to remember certain details such as where I put things in my house or how I wake up some mornings missing a couple of $20s from my wallet from the night before. I currently take 2-3mg of xanax or 20mg of zolpidem, usually all in one dose in the morning, to calm my nerves each day. Opiates are my doc after MDMA and cola. If I ever get ahold of painkillers, I pretty much stop using the other sedatives altogether and replace them with oxy/hydro/whatever else is available 2-3 times a day until the supply runs dry. Then I go back to taking xanax.

So I am basically stuck in this endless cycle of what some might call psychological addiction and what I consider avoiding my past habits by taking the risk of becoming unable to control my current benzo habit. I am very thankful and proud to say that I have never been physically addicted to any substance, but I know that my patterns of use are considered well beyond dangerous. I also want to say that I still smoke cannabis on a daily basis, but I don't think it helps distract me from the yay because I noticed that the times when I decide to get yacked out have sometimes been after smoking, but I often slip when I'm sober too.

What do you guys think? Should I continue using downers somewhat responsibly in order to prevent myself from falling into stimulant binges? Or is the xanax doing even more harm than the stims? Should I attempt to quit everything other than weed altogether? What have you all found are the best alternatives to hard drugs? I just want to be able to live without intense cravings every day, and I am determined to overcome this because unfortunately my drug use is the number one barrier in my life at the moment. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this post all the way through.:)

Last edited:
If all you're doing is smoking cannabis, I wouldn't be too worried, but it seems like you have a bigger issue with binging on other, potentially much more dangerous habit forming drugs like the benzos/cocaine/opioids/booze. I would try and restrict your use of drugs to only that which you feel safe with. I just hope you're able to understand that you don't need to get a nice high just because you can - took me a long time to figure that one out - before anything too disastrous happens to you.

I wouldn't quite everything flat out. Do you work with a doctor? If benzos are helping you right now stay away from binging on other drugs and you can use them responsibly, stick with that while slowly reducing your dose. Xanax isn't a very good drug to use for your purposes though, considering how euprhoic it can be for some. The benzos are double edged sword. They may be helping you now, but the longer you take them, the less help they will give you, until they most likely will end up hurting you.

That is why working on an exist strategy, one you feel you can achieve in your own time and in your own ways, now is the best plan.

as TPD says. It isn't the drug its the behavior. Any drug can cause you problems...but it is not the inanimate object but your mentality towards it that causes trouble.

Binging is probably the worst type of drug use you can do. It leads to damaging your body way quicker than a small amount of use everyday.

If all you're doing is smoking cannabis, I wouldn't be too worried, but it seems like you have a bigger issue with binging on other, potentially much more dangerous habit forming drugs like the benzos/cocaine/opioids/booze. I would try and restrict your use of drugs to only that which you feel safe with. I just hope you're able to understand that you don't need to get a nice high just because you can - took me a long time to figure that one out - before anything too disastrous happens to you.

I wouldn't quite everything flat out. Do you work with a doctor? If benzos are helping you right now stay away from binging on other drugs and you can use them responsibly, stick with that while slowly reducing your dose. Xanax isn't a very good drug to use for your purposes though, considering how euprhoic it can be for some. The benzos are double edged sword. They may be helping you now, but the longer you take them, the less help they will give you, until they most likely will end up hurting you.

That is why working on an exist strategy, one you feel you can achieve in your own time and in your own ways, now is the best plan.

Well like I said toothpastedog, I realize the long- and short-term health effects of marijuana are minimal and that's why I continue to smoke it frequently. About the alcohol, you may have not read through my original post thoroughly but I dislike alcohol's effects a lot and almost never drink so that's not a problem for me at all.

I haven't touched coke in a few months either, mainly because my xanax usage replaced my urge to use it. BUT, I don't find much recreational value in benzos and I never even feel much of a "high" from any of the benzos I have taken in the past. It just keeps my mind off of the cocaine and stops me from getting irritated as easily when I am having cravings.

I might have misunderstood your reply, but I agree that trying to take the xanax less and less frequently and in lower doses so that hopefully my tolerance will adjust with the new dosage and I'll still be able to keep myself from doing more self-destructive behavior while not taking overly high amounts of benzos, perhaps eventually I'll even be able to quit it altogether and maintain my clean streak off the coke. Thanks so much for your help and wise advice from you manboychef as well, thanks.

All good advice. Your story sounds similar to a lot of people I know and probably many who use this site. I completely agree that working on a strategy is your best bet. Not just with regards to reducing use of certain drugs (even if you can just get to a steady level of maintenance, this is a positive, rather than sporadically fluctuating doses of this and that), but possibly eliminating some of them completely. It can help if you look back and think "of all the times I've used ____, has it ever actually done anything positive for me?"

Best of luck.

Hi everyone- I am really new (like first day) so if I say something I’m not supposed to, please be kind when you tell me. Outermostline, I was wondering if your ideal is to only smoke cannabis? I also wanted to encourage you as you go through this process. It can be hard trying to cut down/eliminate, but it sounds like you did the hardest part- you noticed that there may or may not be an issue and started evaluating your habit. That’s huge. I also wanted to toss out a word of caution, if I may: you may want to work with a pro if you are able/willing. Benzos can be dangerous coming off of them. I’m sure you probably knew that already and I am so sorry if I’m breaking any rules!

Hi everyone- I am really new (like first day) so if I say something I’m not supposed to, please be kind when you tell me. Outermostline, I was wondering if your ideal is to only smoke cannabis? I also wanted to encourage you as you go through this process. It can be hard trying to cut down/eliminate, but it sounds like you did the hardest part- you noticed that there may or may not be an issue and started evaluating your habit. That’s huge. I also wanted to toss out a word of caution, if I may: you may want to work with a pro if you are able/willing. Benzos can be dangerous coming off of them. I’m sure you probably knew that already and I am so sorry if I’m breaking any rules!

Best to make a thread to see the whole thing.

first, in response to the title of the thread- if you are asking that question then the answer is almost certainly yes.

the way i read it, you've cross addicted from a drug that you perceive to be harmful, to a drug you perceive to be less harmful, but in reality can fuck your life just as much. i have been addicted to both benzos and cocaine (well, crack) and yes while crack destroyed my life super quick, both are bad and benzo withdrawal can kill you. also, because benzos compromise your judgement, you are less likely to make good decisions regarding your drug use while on them. i.e. if i wasn't addicted to benzos i'm pretty sure i'd never have thought trying heroin was a good idea.

the issue as i see it is your need to be constantly on something. there is an underlying reality you don't want to face. i would try some talking therapy if you at all can. your life is unlikely to get better while you keep using substances on a daily (?) basis. the only thing you can do is stop, the sooner the better, and address what's really going on.

In my experience, if you’re asking the question, “Do I have a problem with” (fill in the blank; in your case, drugs), then you already know the answer.