View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Should I and my friend take psilocybin?

Ego_death

Greenlighter
I'm very interested in psychedellics. I listen to a lot of Joe Rogan and Duncan Trussell. I've never taken any psychdellic before so I thought I'll start with the psilocybin chemical. Thought I'd check with you guys before taking.

I'm very open minded I guess. I have anxiety but only when under pressure or social situations. I don't really want to take a mild dose. I actually plan on eventually trying DMT, maybe this year. My friend is also thinking about psilocybin but doesn't think he should do it at this time because he is in a difficult relationship he is worried about ending which might effect his trip. I was thinking we should both try our first psychedellic soon. What do you guys think?

Why don't you want to try a mild dose first?
Not saying it's a terrible idea, but if you haven't tripped before, just diving in might be too overwhelming. I might be wrong though, but I myself started with shrooms, with low doses, and found the whole experience (all trips combined, even the bad ones) very interesting and was glad I did it that way.

^Yep,
No need to jump in the deep end, but some people start there and are fine, some people end up in the ER getting catheters (no pee, nothing to bring you down) while their parents and the preacher watch. Psychs and dissos are the most interesting navel gazing I've ever done, and I recommend them, but if I was giving you your first dose it would be 2 grams of good but not super-strong shrooms.
If your freind wants to wait till his life is order, that's cool.
I also have anxiety, and I've had rather intense anxiety at one moment or another on all most all of my trips, so do expect to be pretty scared at times it's normal, also expect to have the complete opposite of anxiety at points.
Hope you have fun and come away with something interesting to think about.

I also recommend trying a mild dose first, even if you're perfectly mentally healthy. Everyone responds to drugs differently, so it's good to get into them one step at a time. There is no disadvantage to trying a mild dose first and a stronger one later.

I agree. Whilst I started with moderate - high doses, I've only just recently experienced the beauty of a low dose. Get acquainted with the psychedelic first. There's an incredibly low chance of somebody who doesn't have mental health problems/severe anxiety having a bad trip off a low dose of psilocybin. Take a high dose and have a bad time, and you could easily scare your self off ever doing a psychedelic again.

Let me put things in perspective. Three friends took acid earlier in the week. The acid was supposedly 150 micrograms, and they all had two each. I told them not to take two because 300 micrograms is a lot of acid, and two of them were first timers.

So they took one and all was fine. Then two of them took another one. One of them was fine, or would have been, had he not had to deal with his girlfriend absolutely losing her shit.

My friend who was experienced was fine, my friend who took one was fine, and my friends girlfriend, who was inexperienced yet took two, probably won't take acid again. If she does, she will have that whole episode looming over her.

Know your dose, and respect it. The more you respect the substance, the more it will respect you. A lot of people come to this forum seeking advice because they freaked out. Try not to be one!

How many grams is a safe dose? I'm not sure what the type is, just psilocybin mushrooms. How many grams would a heavy dose be?

Try starting out with 2 grams, that was what I had for my second trip and it was awesome without being soul-shattering.

I would also recommend 2ish grams, though not less :)

If they're legitimate mushrooms, and haven't been left somewhere damp since they were picked and have gone icky, then toxicity-wise they're absolutely safe. Tripping safety will come down to your mindset and environment. For this reason, as your friend believes, it may not be wise for him to trip in that mindset.

You could start with mushrooms, but don't assume that they are beginner trips because they are natural products or common... mushrooms can be heavy and relentless, one of the least forgiving. So start low, seriously - there is nothing lost with slowly ramping up dosage, also being natural products potency is variable and unreliable. You can always try a higher dose at a later time. I can't imagine any valid reason being worth risking an overdose.

Your friend is probably right, feeling intuitively like this is too sensitive a time to warp your mind.

Social anxiety etc shouldn't be a problem, just arrange a set and setting where you have nothing to worry about - where you are free to do as you like.. turn off the phone and let it take you on a journey.

That 2g dry is not a bad aim at all ^ . Definitely don't just start nibbling away mushrooms estimating or eyeballing. This isn't a movie and you aren't a hardcore shroomer (yet).

Try mushrooms? Why not.
Like Solipsis says, just because they grow in the ground and may seem like natural alternatives to synthetically produced chemicals, doesn't alter their potency or their ability to create one hell of a trip. Mushrooms can be severely heavy on the body and the mind. They also can happen to be some of the strongest experiences you can have with psychedelics and were originally the very first psychedelics us humans began experimenting with. Apparently many many many thousands of years in the making.

That being said, start from whichever point you want. So many people recommend their own bro science logic and some may have well founded beliefs and opinions but psychedelics are for the most part, an open book phenomenon that you will either enjoy or not whether having a heavy trip or just micro dosing. Some people just don't like them, full stop. Some people will only have heavy mystic experiences with of course, heavy doses. I'm one of those people. I think that taking small doses is pointless. Sure, be safe. I understand that. But.. You either want to reach that point of bliss, of reaching the great divide. Or you don't. Like, you don't go to a club and buy a beer and then only drink a spoonful. You don't go to McDonald's and eat one fry and a baby bite of a burger.

The most important aspect is making sure that the people you surround yourself with are trustworthy people. If you are in an unfamiliar setting, that will echo into your trip. Also, the setting is PARAMOUNT. Make sure you are somewhere that is ideally beautiful and awe inspiring like a walk into the middle of nowhere. Being with nature. These are great examples. Your trip is entirely based around certain variables that I've just mentioned. As for anxiety, mushrooms have been proven great therapy tools for anxiety and depression. Trials have been conducted on terminally ill patients with cancer for example and their mystical life changing experiences helped to create a healthy vibrant and spiritual encapsulation around themselves, their problems and their presence in the world. They went on to face their problems head on and had a new outlook on life.

So mushrooms are indeed great tools in the inventory of any budding psychotherapist or anyone really who wants to face their problems head on and sort them out. They increase the inner dialogues going through your mind and there, you might not like what your thinking but if you know your way around your own mind, it's very easy to come out of the trip fixed or at least improved. I've taken mushrooms to combat questions I had regarding myself, others and my life. I came out of every trip when planned and conducted properly, with a new perspective and a much more accepting and calming outlook. But they may not work for you like that. You have to accept that these are very strong compounds and not everyone fairs well when taking them. That being said, many people don't appreciate nor have the knowledge or prior understanding to enjoy these compounds.

Do your research. Don't just do them because you've seen Rogan talk about them. Do them because YOU want to. And have a plausible reason for taking them. Something structured and solid in its foundations. Like wanting a mystical life changing experience or to see nature like never before. Perception is reality. What you believe, you will eventually recieve. I'd recommend taking a relatively moderate-heavy dose for your first time. Maybe a gram or two or three. Get to grips with the feeling. Get accustomed to how it makes you feel. Be in good company. Be out in nature. You are sure to have a blast!

A gram or two is not *that* heavy a dose for a first time. The full 3-3.5 (an eighth) yeah that's pushing it too far.

Sure, some people do like it and others don't, and mushrooms are used in doses from microdosing to the high-dosing aiming for mystical experiences. It's perfectly doable starting low, then next time if the feeling appeals to you try a bit more... that is enough to get to grips with the feeling.
I had a friend who kept tiptoeing at very low doses and never got his feet fully wet. If you like the headspace, at some point I do think there is no reason for pussyfooting - just do the full immersion without overdoing it.

For a person who has never done it before, going easy is important so that there is a margin for error when they realize they are way too neurotic for it to bear the feeling or realize how unprepared they turn out to be, emotionally or just very practically. So that the times after that - without getting a false sense of security from a small dose! - you can do the actual full experience.

Diving in the deep end can be tricky.

I strongly disagree with the spoonful of beer analogy... it's more like vodka - of which a shot glass is smart to try first, not downing the whole bottle right away. Some people will learn that they are the type to enjoy drinking a bottle of vodka but that doesn't make it smart to do the first time.
The only thing that is pointless I would agree is taking a dose you can expect is so low that it would only produce an alert, a vague awareness of not being sober. That is no help at all since it will not show you the quality of the experience.

The details of set and setting mentioned above are indeed very important, and some people are hardly even used to things like being with only a few trustworthy friends, being at a place that has nature and is a safehaven.

I think the above poster and I fundamentally mean the same things.