• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Shocking video reveals the horror of babies born addicted to drugs: Newborn's tiny le

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Shocking video reveals the horror of babies born addicted to drugs: Newborns tiny legs shudder uncontrollably during heroin withdrawal - as it's revealed an opioid-addicted child is born every 19 minutes in the US

Shaking violently in a hospital crib, two tiny legs twitch and shudder uncontrollably.

Wailing, muscle clenching and gasping for breath accompany the disturbing fit-like seizure.

But, what makes the image all the more heartbreaking, is the newborn baby's diagnosis.

Despite being just weeks old, the tiny baby is suffering the effects of drug withdrawal, having been born addicted to opioids.

Every 19 minutes a child in the US is born with an opioid addiction - a devastating affliction inherited from their drug-addict mothers.

While for most newborns the first precious weeks of life are full of love, care and adoration, for babies born addicted to drugs their first weeks are long, agonizing and distressing as they battle neonatal abstinence syndrome.

The condition can cause babies to tremble and wail inconsolably, clenching their muscles and sometimes gasping for breath – as they go through drug withdrawal.

The video is part of an investigation by Reuters into the horrifying reality facing babies born with drug dependencies inherited from their drug-addicted mothers while in the womb.

The US is in the midst of an opioid addiction epidemic that extends to pregnant women.

More than 130,000 children in the US were born addicted to drugs over the last decade.

Each of them have suffered the symptoms of neonatal abstinence syndrome, which are similar to those of adult heroin addicts who go 'cold turkey' in an effort to beat their dependence.

A 12-year-old federal law – called the Keeping Children and Families Safe Act – calls on states to take steps to safeguard these babies after they leave the hospital.

But, the effort is failing across the nation – and endangering children.

One mother, Jennifer Lacey Frazier recently completed drug treatment and parenting classes.

However, the help came too late to save her daughter, Jacey.

The baby inherited her mother’s blue eyes – and Frazier’s dependency on drugs.

Jacey spent two weeks suffering withdrawal, a result of the methadone Frazier took during pregnancy to control an addiction to prescription painkillers.

Six months later, the girl was dead – the victim of a lethal dose of methadone Frazier mistakenly gave her.

Frazier said in a letter from prison: ‘I wish social services had been at my home investigating, talking to me, checking on Jacey.

‘I didn’t just slip through the cracks in the system; I fell through the canyon into hell.’

The investigation identified 110 cases since 2010 that are similar to Jacey’s – babies and toddlers whose mothers used opioids during pregnancy and who later died preventable deaths.

Being born dependent on drugs didn’t kill these children.

Each of them recovered well enough to be discharged from the hospital.

Yet, what sealed their fates was being sent home to families ill-equipped to care for them.

More than 40 of the children suffocated.

Thirteen died after swallowing toxic doses of methadone, heroin, oxycodone or other opioids.

2F4104C800000578-3354843-Since_2003_when_Congress_called_on_states_to_intervene_in_cases_-m-11_1449784198103.jpg

In one case, a baby in Oklahoma died after her mother, high on methamphetamine and opioids, put the 10-day-old girl in a washing machine with a load of dirty laundry.

The cases illustrate fatal flaws in the attempts to address what President Barack Obama has called America’s 'epidemic' of opioid addiction.

The crisis is fed by the ready availability of prescription painkillers and cheap heroin.

In 2003, when Congress passed the Keeping Children and Families Safe Act, around 5,000 drug-dependent babies were born in the United States.

That number has grown dramatically in the years since.

Using hospital discharge records, Reuters tallied more than 27,000 diagnosed cases of drug-dependent newborns in 2013 - the latest year for which data are available.

On average, one baby was born dependent on opioids every 19 minutes.

The federal law calls on states to protect each of these babies, regardless of whether the drugs their mothers took were illicit or prescribed.

Healthcare providers aren’t simply expected to treat the infants in the hospital.

They are supposed to alert child protection authorities so that social workers can ensure the newborn’s safety after the hospital sends the child home.

But most states are ignoring the federal provisions, leaving thousands of newborns at risk every year.

And statutes or policies in the remaining five states are murky and confusing, even for doctors and child protection workers.

In three-quarters of the 110 fatalities identified, the mother was implicated in her child’s death; in others, her boyfriend, husband or another relative was.

In 75 of the cases, child protection workers were notified but didn’t take protective measures specified in the federal law.

In many cases, hospitals didn’t report a drug-dependent baby’s condition to social services and the child died after being sent home.

Clorissa Jones was addicted to drugs when she gave birth to her first son, Jacoby.

Ms Jones said: 'I was in labor, in the bathroom shooting heroin, about to give birth to my child.'

She continued using drugs after Jacoby was born.

Ms Jones eventually lost custody of the boy crashing her car into a parked vehicle while on the way to buy drugs - with 22-day-old Jacoby in the back seat.

She then learned she was seven weeks pregnant with her second child.

At the time, she was smoking crack and doing heroin - but losing custody of Jacoby was the wake-up-call she needed to try to kick her addiction.

She entered a rehabilitation program for addicted mothers at Johns Hopkins University.

Her second son, Braxton, was born with a dependence to methadone, which she was taking to kick her heroin habit.

Braxton went through withdrawal for the first two weeks of his life, but is largely healthy - although he has trouble feeding.

Ms Jones retained custody of Braxton and is supposed to get custody of Jacoby back this month.

But, programs such as the ones at John Hopkins are few and scattered across the country.

Former US Representative Jim Greenwood, a Republican from Pennsylvania who authored the provisions in the 2003 federal law, said: 'The fact that the mother is in treatment is a good thing.

'But that doesn’t prove that she has a place to live that’s safe.

'It doesn’t prove that she knows how to parent.… It doesn’t say anything about the baby’s situation.

'And this is all about protecting the baby.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...d-19-minutes-child-born-addicted-opioids.html

Nobody is born addicted to drugs. I am still not convinced that these babies are being born with a physical dependence, either.

replace addicted with dependent. Dependence is what causes the withdrawal in kids.

This article made me cry.

Nobody is born addicted to drugs. I am still not convinced that these babies are being born with a physical dependence, either.

What do you think is controversial about the claim these babies are born with a physical dependence?

My understanding is that babies whose mothers used opioids throughout the pregnancy show withdrawal symptoms which are alleviated when opioid drugs are administered. Assuming I am not mistaken this is extremely strong evidence that these children have a physical dependence.

What do you think is controversial about the claim these babies are born with a physical dependence?

My understanding is that babies whose mothers used opioids throughout the pregnancy show withdrawal symptoms which are alleviated when opioid drugs are administered. Assuming I am not mistaken this is extremely strong evidence that these children have a physical dependence.

addiction is the actions associated with feeding a habit....dependence is your body physically needing the drugs. I think you have that twisted SJB.

How the fuck do you give a baby an accidental lethal mixture of methadone?

I simply haven't seen any evidence for these "withdrawal symptoms" being sufficiently differentiated from any other negative symptoms that a child might have due to poverty, stress on the mother, genetic factors, etc. I've never seen anything convincing in the literature that would make me believe that sufficient quantities of opioids are being transferred from mother to child in utero to cause opioid withdrawal symptoms.

Here is a study done on infants born to children of mothers maintained on methadone. It was found that the so-called "neonatal abstinence syndrome" (NAS) likelihood and severity did not correlate with either the dose of methadone taken by the mother, nor with the concentration of methadone found in the neonates' faeces, nor with whether the mothers took other opioids on top of methadone.

Also, see the Consumer's Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs, specifically the section entitled "Effect on babies born to addicted mothers."

I'm not saying it necessarily doesn't exist. I'm just not convinced that it does.

Neonatal abstinence syndrome does exists out there for sure, but it is absolutely nothing like this article portrays it as. Babies are born to mothers on methadone all the time, in fact doctors will recommend mothers take methadone during pregnancy if they're addicted to opioids because a mother going through withdrawal during pregnancy will do more harm to the baby than the baby going through 'withdrawal' after being born. A baby going through such withdrawal is almost nothing like an adult going through opioid withdrawal. Babies nearly never die or have serious complications from being born from mothers on methadone. It is extremely safe for both mother and baby. More often than not, all the baby needs to get weaned off the opioid is the opioids in the mothers milk.

Don't forget peoole, this article is from the Daily fail after all.

I simply haven't seen any evidence for these "withdrawal symptoms" being sufficiently differentiated from any other negative symptoms that a child might have due to poverty, stress on the mother, genetic factors, etc. I've never seen anything convincing in the literature that would make me believe that sufficient quantities of opioids are being transferred from mother to child in utero to cause opioid withdrawal symptoms.

Here is a study done on infants born to children of mothers maintained on methadone. It was found that the so-called "neonatal abstinence syndrome" (NAS) likelihood and severity did not correlate with either the dose of methadone taken by the mother, nor with the concentration of methadone found in the neonates' faeces, nor with whether the mothers took other opioids on top of methadone.

Also, see the Consumer's Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs, specifically the section entitled "Effect on babies born to addicted mothers."

I'm not saying it necessarily doesn't exist. I'm just not convinced that it does.

I know you never said it doesn't exist, just that you were not convinced. I appreciate the clarification and the sources you provided. It seems the evidence may be less conclusive than I believed.

How a woman can use drugs while being pregnant is beyond me. For god sake don't get pregnant if your on opiates. The title and first few sentences of the article make me so mad I don't even want to see a video. And to the person that think this isn't real is so dumb he probably also thinks the world is flat and hollow at the same time. How do you NOT think a baby would be born addicted if the mother is on opiates while pregnant????:?

People like you, by which I mean people who react the way you have, is exactly who inflammatory articles like this are meant for. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't imagine supporting anyone using anything that is a teratogen or causes dependency while pregnant. But thats not really what the article is about - it's about how mothers who use drugs are bad people. It misframes the issues to the authors own particular ends.

How a woman can use drugs while being pregnant is beyond me. For god sake don't get pregnant if your on opiates. The title and first few sentences of the article make me so mad I don't even want to see a video. And to the person that think this isn't real is so dumb he probably also thinks the world is flat and hollow at the same time. How do you NOT think a baby would be born addicted if the mother is on opiates while pregnant????:?

It's not always a choice how things go down in our lives in fact it barely ever is.
Of course its easy to say don't get pregnant or don't use drugs duh! But that's not really how it is the sex may not have been by consent the addiction most likely came first shit happens.

Also obviously its a concept you can't conceive, from your post I'm assume your a man you can't be in this situation there for you have no idea what it's like or what woman you would do.

I agree this article is to shun mom's,
in this case whIle I don't approve and think it's sad we shouldn't make things any harder for these parents.

The articles against it are interesting.

Well said, and yea it's kind of like how no one wakes up one day and decides want to start using heroin and become a junkie. No one decides, hey I'm going to get high because 8 pregnant and want to do as much harm to my unborn child as I can! Stupid. Amazes me how people get drawn into sensationalist bullshit like this, but then people's overall stupidity, mine own included also never ceases to amaze.

It isn't really clear what the point of this article is.

Is it arguing against prescribing methadone to pregnant women? The medical establishment is pretty united in the belief that neonatal withdrawal from methadone is less dangerous to the child than the mother withdrawing from opiates while pregnant.

Or is the argument that women who are opiate dependent shouldn't be left alone to parent immediately after birth? I'd agree with that, but I think my argument is "these mothers are likely to be complex needs and should have extra support to parent a new baby" and the author is probably a lot more "they're terrible people and should have their kids taken away immediately".

And to the person that think this isn't real is so dumb he probably also thinks the world is flat and hollow at the same time. How do you NOT think a baby would be born addicted if the mother is on opiates while pregnant????:?

So, do you have any actual evidence to refute what I posted? I would be more than happy to acquiesce to this point of view if such evidence were to be presented.

for me: I think that more should be done in order to stop these unwanted pregnancies from happening. Better free birthcontrol handed out at needle exchanges....eh I posted this in another thread...if you want my opinion read that. I grew up in a household that had an addicted parent (my father) and the damage that this caused far outweighed any withdrawal that a baby goes through (which he/she will not remember). I am with six buckets in the sense that there should be more social workers helping these mothers, not only get off the drugs, but become better parents. I have been irreversibly changed by my experiences growing up in that household. I would love to help other children not have to be there.

Toothpastedog your post is filled with some misinformation. My family member works at the hospital as a nurse in the maternity unit. She has observed hundreds of mothers addicted to heroin, buprenorphine and methadone give birth. The hospital in question receives patients from around the state. Many rural hospitals will not allow moms to give birth at their facility due to complications. They must be shipped to the largest city in the state to give birth. Life threatening complications are somewhat common but can be linked to drug use combined with lifestyle choices. Opiate dependent mothers are asked not to breast feed their babies if they have methadone or large amounts of opiates in their system as far as I know. To reduce harm moms are asked to wait a number of hours after the use of an opiate before breastfeeding if it is indicated for the individual. Newborns addicted to opiates are almost always tapered off with another full agonist like morphine. These babies do not look well when they come out. It's not that they are always underweight or premature but they certainly go through a horrendous withdrawal. They shake and scream for days. When I say they shake they really do shake intensely. My family member who works in this unit is extremely for the use of MAT if necessary in opiate dependent moms. Heroin addicted mothers who are food insecure do not have the healthiest of babies. They are premature and detoxing heavily. It is not extremely safe for both mother and baby. Moms maintained on an opiate replacement medication like methadone can give birth in a safer manner if under the care of a doctor at a well equipped facility compared to being dependent on street opiates and not under the proper care of a licensed professional.

Last edited:
Toothpastedog your post is filled with some misinformation. My family member works at the hospital as a nurse in the maternity unit. She has observed hundreds of mothers addicted to heroin, buprenorphine and methadone give birth. The hospital in question receives patients from around the state. Many rural hospitals will not allow moms to give birth at their facility due to complications. They must be shipped to the largest city in the state to give birth. Life threatening complications are somewhat common but can be linked to drug use combined with lifestyle choices. Opiate dependent mothers are asked not to breast feed their babies if they have methadone or large amounts of opiates in their system as far as I know. To reduce harm moms are asked to wait a number of hours after the use of an opiate before breastfeeding if it is indicated for the individual. Newborns addicted to opiates are almost always tapered off with another full agonist opiate medication like morphine. These babies do not look well when they come out. It's not that they are always underweight or premature but they certainly go through a horrendous withdrawal. They shake and scream for days. When I say they shake they really do shake intensely. My family member who works in this unit is extremely for the use of MAT if necessary in opiate dependent moms. Heroin addicted moms who are food insecure do not have the healthiest of babies. They are premature and detoxing heavily. It is not extremely safe for both mother and baby. Moms maintained on an opiate replacement medication like methadone can give birth in a safer manner if under the care of a doctor at a well equipped facility as compared to being dependent on street opiates and not under the proper care of a licensed professional.

I am literally sitting here crying now. I sent my ex to rehab when she got pregnant. I kicked at home and continued working....that was not a fun month....I really missed her....I missed seeing her baby bump. I missed feeling him kick....eh. I gotta stop getting so sentimental.