• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Shivering after opiate comedown?

xtcgrrrl

Sr. Moderator: SLR
Staff member
Have you ever taken an opioid to get high and then when you come down you shiver all over like you're cold? This happens to me a lot. Wondering why?

Hot/Cold flashes are a symptom of opiate WD. How frequently are you taking opiod drugs? Could be a sign of physical dependency.

True. The only time I felt cold post opiate is when withdrawing. Do you have other symptoms ?

No, I don't take or abuse my pain medicine frequently. I don't want my tolerance to build up so I try to leave a MINIMUM of four days between doses, ideally a week if I can manage it. And I don't actually feel cold - I just shiver. It reminds me of when I was in the hospital giving birth and they gave me Demerol and I was fine until the baby was born and then just after I started shaking uncontrollably. They said it was a reaction to the meds. But I get this EVERY TIME I take my pain meds. Just wondering why?

I had something like that happen to once during an od on oxycodone. Not saying that's why it happened to u but it sure sucked for me. Hope u figure it out. IMO u shouldn't be wd'ing so soon after taking ur opies unless u take big amts and dose very often...

Have you ever taken an opioid to get high and then when you come down you shiver all over like you're cold? This happens to me a lot. Wondering why?

Not sure what you are taking ..but.. here is some of the listed side effects..

Some of the side effects that can occur with hydrocodone / ibuprofen may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away. Your health care professional may also be able to tell you about ways to reduce or prevent some of these side effects. If any of the following side effects continue, are bothersome or if you have any questions about them, check with your health care professional:
More common
  • Anxiety
  • constipation
  • dry mouth
  • gas
  • increased sweating
  • nervousness
  • pounding heartbeat
  • sleepiness
  • trouble in sleeping
  • unusual tiredness or weakness
Less common or rare
  • Decreased appetite
  • decrease in sexual ability
  • depression
  • headache
  • heartburn
  • increased thirst
  • irritability
  • mood or mental changes
  • mouth ulcers
  • pain or burning in the throat
  • runny nose
  • sensation of burning, warmth, heat, numbness, tightness, or tingling
  • slurred speech
  • stomach upset
  • thinking abnormalities
  • trembling or shaking of the hands or feet

I don't actually feel cold - I just shiver. It reminds me of when I was in the hospital giving birth and they gave me Demerol and I was fine until the baby was born and then just after I started shaking uncontrollably. They said it was a reaction to the meds.

Did you have an epidural by any chance or just the Demerol when you gave birth? I was present for all 3 of my wife's c sections, and because of the epidural she was shaking and shivering like crazy (which is a normal side effect for an epidural).

It is my understanding that opiates can actually be used to lessen shivering... Demerol, especially.

So, as others have stated, this could been like withdrawal... Maybe you aren't actually in full withdrawal but instead you are experiencing some rebound shivering as the effects wear off. If this is the case, then you should consider this your first sign that you are becoming dependent.

Regardless, you should take things carefully... You can never be to careful when avoiding dependence or addiction to opiates.

Thanks, guys, I'll put even more space between my doses if I can help it. Been there with opie WD, don't wanna do it again.