• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Severing business ties with long-term accountant

2pac

Bluelighter
I've been recommended another accountant and would like to use him. I've had the same accountant for 12 years and he is a nice person, helping me file my tax returns and doing my bookwork. But i'm not sure if he is doing the best he can do for me - i've never dealt with anyone else in financial matters so there is no comparison to be had. He makes a fair bit of money out of our consultations and i'm sure he wouldn't like to lose a client. How do I break the news that i'm going to use someone else? I don't think he's a malicious accountant that would sabotage my finances, and I don't want to burn bridges just incase the new accountant is no better. Has anyone else ever been in a position like this before? Should I lie and say i'm moving Cities/States? Should I write an email or call him, but what do I say?

Depends what it costs but why not take your books to the new guy first and see whether you get a good deal? Then take your books to your current guy and see if he does better or worse?

Other than that, be upfront. Hey Joe, I've been told Mr X is really good at my kind of accounts so I'd like to see how he does this year... :D You can tell by watching him how it will be... Maybe he'll give you a better deal. I doubt very much he would sabotage your situation - there are accountancy boards who would like to hear about such practices, even where you live. :D

I've been recommended another accountant and would like to use him. I've had the same accountant for 12 years and he is a nice person, helping me file my tax returns and doing my bookwork. But i'm not sure if he is doing the best he can do for me - i've never dealt with anyone else in financial matters so there is no comparison to be had. He makes a fair bit of money out of our consultations and i'm sure he wouldn't like to lose a client. How do I break the news that i'm going to use someone else? I don't think he's a malicious accountant that would sabotage my finances, and I don't want to burn bridges just incase the new accountant is no better. Has anyone else ever been in a position like this before? Should I lie and say i'm moving Cities/States? Should I write an email or call him, but what do I say?

What are you unhappy about exactly? Explain " i'm not sure if he is doing the best he can do for me" in a bit more detail.

Thanks for your input Journyman16 and LuGoJ - The first problem with being straight up (which I agree in practice is the best way to handle it) is I had to pay a huge amount of tax, which i'm fine with paying because tax is part of society - there was just no forewarning of how much I had to pay and it was a bit of shock and I felt with the money I pay him (4000 p/anum) he should have advised me more so in advance. He knew I was shocked about this and I don't want him to think i'm leaving just because of this one incident. The problem with the comparison is the expense I don't wan't to be paying two people to do the books, but I may just have to.

I'm obviously unhappy about the aforementioned incident, but also i'm unhappy/uncertain about his thoroughness with regards to my claims and expenses - like I said I have no comparison having only had the one accountant. Because if I go to the new accountant and he does more for me then I will be saving/making more money, but if I stay I will never know if another accountant could do a better job. It all feels very much like a Seinfeld episode.