• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Severe neck problems from computer rsi?

Bare_head

Bluelighter
So i overused the computer over last 7-8 years or more. It all started from the use of a mouse. My shoulder began feeling painful and it became inflamed alot. I tried everything but the route of the problem stemmed from overuse on computer and sitting long periods without stretching properly and generally fighting through the pain. Some clinic helped some but my issues still got worse. I went to a chrio and he helped alot? I dnt know how but some of the sessions ridded me of my shoulder pain until one time i had a strange neck adjustment and it put me off going

Ever since that my issue is now in my neck? I still didnt rest and its gotten to the point where my neck hurts to rotate, it generally feels swollen compared to the other side i dnt use the mouse (my other side feels fine just my right side as im right handed)

Due to lockdown ive had no real doctors to go to and last time it was checking for range of motion and telling me to take anti inflammatories:/.

I dnt know what ive.done but from all the years of bad posture and not an ergoronomic workstation caused a serious issue? Im taking some time off the computer ofc but at this.moment 5 days off its no better.

Im.close to making an appointment with a private clinic its that bad :(

Sorry for the rant the pain is indescribable its causing some syatic pains, shooting pins and needles aswell. Scared ive done irreversible damage or need surgery.

Im only 32 but my neck feels like 90 years old at this moment :( putting ice on as heat stopped relieving it which makes me think thats a worrying thing..

Any advice. Experience appreiated

Anti inflammatories.
Painkillers.
Can you start using your left hand for the mouse? If not then I'd stop using it.
You can get free apps for your phone or tablet that act as a wireless mouse/touchpad, connecting to the computer through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth - have you considered that? Would let you sit and use it with your hands in your lap and shoulders relaxed rather than having one stretched out on the table using regular mouse. Or maybe switch to a laptop/tablet? What are you using the computer for?
Keep your back straight.
Get a better chair with lumbar support.

I have this problem, and I use a Herman Miller Aeron chair. Yep. Even that chair isn't helping prevent neck strain. Not to mention leg discomfort. It's the largest size Aeron too.

I have Occipital Neuralgia from computers and working on mobile phones.
I find the best thing for me is no longer working full time on one and when I do, using monitor arms to reposifion screens correctly, repositioning them often and lots of moving it's the sitring position that makes it flare up. Naproxen is really good, I'm also on pregablin that helps a lot, but it's an awful drug side effects wise. I tried abour 17 medical professionals before I got my diagnosis from a my second opinion neurologist.. I tried physio, acupuncture, chiropractor, deep tissue massage, sports massage, Pilates, yoga. The latter worked the best. Good luck

Thanks guys.

After posting this thread i continued to use the computer for long sessions. My neck got some type of ball in it. It felt awful. The ball got larger and larger until one day recently it felt like the ball moved in and the neck muscle had become depressed with the pain going back into the shoulder?

I dnt know whats going on but ive woke up and i cant turn or move my head without the muscle that supports the shoulder feeling in excruciating pain and hardly any movement.

Ive had a look at some private hospitals as the nhs are nt willing to help.

I did find exercise.to help it.somewhat but this rsi feels like i have no right side neck muscle anymore... it doesnt even stretch it just feels.like mechanical and clicks when i move my head left or right..

Hw dangorous is neck surgery?

Im that bad im.willing to pay anything to get this.fixed.

Gonna take warm bath but tbh warmth has stopped helping it.. close.to ringing my dad to see.if i can have one of his 10ml methadone amps god the pain 😭

Do neck surgery LAST STOP ON THE TRACK !
there are no guarantees it will work, can make it worst, also a huge potential for long term side effects , down the road . Wait as long as you can on that option!