• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Severe anxiety followed by depression after using cannabis

heroinbliss

Greenlighter
Please help- Severe anxiety followed by depression after using cannabis

Hello everybody, I have been using cannabis for 5 years. 3 of those years I was using daily with no problems. Just having fun with friends smoking weed. Everything was great. Well, in the last year it all started to change, drastically. Cannabis started to provoke a negative effect on me. I have a high tolerance but once this started, one small hit would send me into a state of endless negativity. I would think terrible things about myself. My mind would twist reality into something it wasn't. I am genuinely a happy person. I do have occasional stress, stemming from my college course load but I doubt that has anything to do with it. After the anxiety slows down, I would drift into a depressive state until I wasn't high anymore. I can't enjoy it anymore. I tried to use Xanax in conjunction with cannabis but it did not help. The only thing that helps is if I have had a few drinks beforehand. It is strange. Let me know yalls opinion on this. I am staying away from cannabis for a while. Just sticking with opiates ;)

Last edited:
Opiates IMO is not the solution for your anxiety. Obviously it will be for a very short term.
But I'm pretty much sure you know how this works. Welcome to bluelight and good luck! :)

They are not a solution, your right. I was not implying I use them because I'm anxious. I have been using them for some time because I find them recreationally fun :). I would say I am a responsible drug user. Thank you for the reply, though! Take care

Take breaks, rotate strains, don't smoke every day... All of these things will help to prevent the negative effects of MJ.

If you feel a way about the herb let it be positive all the time!

I rarely smoke nowadays but that's because like you after a few years of happily smoking frequently I started to get negative effects.

Weed is one of those things which should only be done if it's pleasurable. If it's not, take a break! It's not going anywhere any time soon.

Idk Heroin, sometimes weed reveals anxieties that need to be dealt with. Sounds like school is the trigger. Spark up once ur done with school ;)

Hello everybody, I have been using cannabis for 5 years. 3 of those years I was using daily with no problems. Just having fun with friends smoking weed. Everything was great. Well, in the last year it all started to change, drastically. Cannabis started to provoke a negative effect on me. I have a high tolerance but once this started, one small hit would send me into a state of endless negativity. I would think terrible things about myself. My mind would twist reality into something it wasn't. I am genuinely a happy person. I do have occasional stress, stemming from my college course load but I doubt that has anything to do with it. After the anxiety slows down, I would drift into a depressive state until I wasn't high anymore. I can't enjoy it anymore. I tried to use Xanax in conjunction with cannabis but it did not help. The only thing that helps is if I have had a few drinks beforehand. It is strange. Let me know yalls opinion on this. I am staying away from cannabis for a while. Just sticking with opiates ;)

this is exactly what I'm experiencing . I can't enjoy cannabis anymore , and I'd like to go back to smoking but it just fucks with my head too much. I also have tried using benzos with cannabis , but that didn't work for me either. I am interested in any replies folks have to this one. thanks for posting this!

There are cannabis strains that are helpful with.anxiety, depression, & give off euphoria & help with chronic pain, etc.....its usually 50% sativa & 50% indica.

Unless you live in a state where you can walk in & ask for certain types of bud for certain problems, or you're looking for a certain high, its kind of hard to know the type of weed you're receiving locally.

Thing about weed is, just like any other drug, it can wear you down. I've heard of people smoking for 20 years, then stopping for a year or so, then trying to go back & can't, because it affects them negatively for what ever reason.

Be careful with opiates........good luck!

It's strange, I'm an "anxiety medicine patient" (prescribed Xanax a number of times, as well as Effexor & Ambien) but marijuana never provokes anxiety for me. If anything it helps calm my anxiety. For that I'm definitely glad, love weed....

Start very low with edibles. The high can be strong, stronger than inhaling, and lasts hours. If the dose is right though it will be smoother. It kicks in slower also.

http://cannabisdigest.ca/black-pepper-relieves-cannabis-anxiety/

While working at the Victoria Cannabis Buyers Club I was able to teach some of the members about Black Pepper. While benefiting from the medicinal effects of THC, these patients suffered from bouts with anxiety while medicating. Most patients who have tried this simply took a few sniffs of the black pepper to receive an almost immediate effect. Others have reported that after chewing on pepper corns they felt relief within an hour, but that may be a delay most would seek to avoid. So how does this work? .........continued in link

I quit smoking for almost 10 years because of this..This gonna sound hokey, but the weed is removing a filter and allowing you to experience your subconscious as concious..For me, alot of that anxiety resolved when I started working on those issues..Psychedelics do this in a way more intense way, but in this way, THC is a psychedelic..

You could just not smoke weed. If you gotta risk addiction to make your weed high pleasant, then why not just not do it?

Also for me, because of my predisposition to anxiety, the mindset of weed is something I need to wade into, not dive..When I do this, it is quite pleasant..I never do dabs, bong rips, smoke whole joints...I take a hit and put it down for 15 minutes..then if I want more, i do it again. It took some getting used to by my friends, but fuck them, its my brain and I'm the one who has to deal with it.

I find that keeping your dosage as low as possible and not dosing more frequently than every 2 hours can almost completely prevent any sort of side effects that can come with the uniquely psychedelic effects that high dose cannabis can offer.

To me, that's one 25-50mg dab (0.025-0.050mg) or 0.07-0.12g of cannabis flower.

Your mileage may vary

If you can't enjoy it anymore, then let it go. At least for a while. It's not worth a damn to fuss over.

Start smoking weed after you've completed all your life goals...otherwise all you'll do is die in a heap of kingsize rizzla and nothing for anyone to remember you for.

Herb is weird like that, it seems most daily users these days get about 5 maybe 10 years before the negative effects hit them, me being one of them so i know what you mean, i had to quit herb last year cause of it.

I think smoking too many sativa strains for too long in your life fucks with your head too, try to find indica and stick with it, most of the time people get anxiety and all that because they are worried about something, is something bothering you?

Plus growing up and getting hit with all of life's adult problems don't help, try to finish college before toking again, and when you do take micro doses like a baby puff of a weaker strain and make sure you are as happy and as prolem free as possible and also don't overthink things, if the negative effects continue from smoking, give it up cause it's run it's course and will only cause mind games from here on out, just stick to the opiates you said your taking and wash your hands of the herb and never look back.