• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Severe anxiety/brain fog hangovers from alcohol (GABA/benzo related?)

Zon

Bluelighter
So in recent years (I'm now mid 30s) every time after a night of drinking I will not just have a headache and feeling tired but have severe anxiety, brain fog and lack of focus. To the point where I can't even focus on the most basic of tasks and just feeling and acting weird as hell. Almost like I am stoned (I get pretty dumb and anxious if I smoke as well).

So I am going on a mission to find out what exactly is going on, and what I can do to prevent or cure it as much as possible.

So far the possibility that fits the most seems to be GABA/benzo related. I only take 0.5-1mg clonazepam maybe 1-3 times per week for specific situations, while making sure I have at least a week off maybe once a month. So I thought I was fine with this amount, but now I am not so sure...

My drinking is also quite consistant. While I've never felt chemically addicted to alcohol I do generally drink quite consistantly. I used to drink almost every day but these days maybe once a week getting drunk in a party, and 1 or 2 more chilled drinking days or 2-3 beers. Sometimes also taking a small ~0.5mg kpin on drinking nights. I also sometimes drop in an adderall or two or drink a large energy drink (don't know how that could effect).

I also started getting anxiety caused by some stuff in my life recently, as well as being pretty badly ADHD which I'm sure has some part to play in this.

So far, I know that taking GABAergenic drugs (amounts are rarely specified) can cause inbalances in the brain, and cause you to have more anxiety when not taking them. But other than this, I really don't know what I can do to avoid this type of problem. It is just my lead theory, I'm not sure of anything yet except that while I had a little post drinking brain fog/anxiety I didn't have anywhere near this severe until a few years ago and it has been getting worse and worse since then.

I have cut down drinking quite a lot, and keeping it just for the weekend whenever possible, but stopping completely is out of the question. The same for benzos, I am trying to only take them when I really need them, but I don't want to give them up as they really help me in certain situations.

I am considering to try a GABA or phenibut supplement, either on a daily basis or just on hangover days but not sure if this would only make things worse? I am also open to trying any other substance that could help get me through those days, or prevent them.

So does anyone have any similar experiences to this?

And any knowledge or suggestions that could help?

Are you already taking benzos for anxiety ? Could this be rebound symptoms ?

If you drink 2-3 times a week and take benzos 1-3 times a week, then that's a lot of time messing with your gaba receptors. I'd imagine this might be some kind of rebound/withdrawal. Either way I'd say it's tour body saying "too much". Alcohol is a neurotoxin and you used to drink every day, and now you drink every other day ish and take benzos and stims.

You might think that it is you regulating the drugs, but to me it sounds like maybe the drugs are regulating you. They all tend to catch up with you eventually, I'm afraid.

I took benzos for 3 months daily prescribed. I havent taken benzos in 3 months though. I never drink. Recently I drank 6 beers in about one hour, got wasted, woke up the next day with that heavy anxiety feeling. I can see this being a problem with GABA.

I know people who swear by that product called PHARMA Gaba. Worth a shot.

Are you already taking benzos for anxiety ? Could this be rebound symptoms ?

I take small amounts as infrequently as possible. Never taken them daily or ever had to increase amount because of tolerance. Not sure what rebound symptoms are though?

If you drink 2-3 times a week and take benzos 1-3 times a week, then that's a lot of time messing with your gaba receptors. I'd imagine this might be some kind of rebound/withdrawal. Either way I'd say it's tour body saying "too much". Alcohol is a neurotoxin and you used to drink every day, and now you drink every other day ish and take benzos and stims.

You might think that it is you regulating the drugs, but to me it sounds like maybe the drugs are regulating you. They all tend to catch up with you eventually, I'm afraid.

Could be... Although I never had anything like this when I was drinking every day. I even considered if this problem was because I stopped drinking every day haha.

I took benzos for 3 months daily prescribed. I havent taken benzos in 3 months though. I never drink. Recently I drank 6 beers in about one hour, got wasted, woke up the next day with that heavy anxiety feeling. I can see this being a problem with GABA.

You mean you stopped taking benzos for 3 months before drinking and then had this problem? Had you ever been drunk enough to have a hangover before those 3 months of benzos?

I know people who swear by that product called PHARMA Gaba. Worth a shot.

Thanks I'll look into it.

These are pretty common hangover symptoms. A kpin would help the day after altho this could get out of hand very quickly and you risk full blown wds.

I am definitely trying to cut down both drinking and benzos, but quitting either completely is not going to happen... So is there any specific strategy of cutting down to reduce these anxiety hangovers without completely quitting? Like... Is having 1 beer while watching a movie having any negative long term effect or is that too small amount to matter? Or is it ok to get wasted every now and then if I take a week off after it?

And how long could it be before I could notice an improvement if it is working?

I will of course report back if anything improves.