View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

serotonin syndrome/ microdosing psilocybin while on Nortriptyline

therealfred

Greenlighter
Hi I am looking for info re the likelihood and dangers of triggering Serotonin syndrome from microdosing psych mushrooms while taking Nortriptyline (75mg daily). Does anyone have info, experience or advice? Thanks

Welcome to Bluelight, @therealfred !

I’ve never been on that med, but It’s not safe to mix psilocybin with a tricyclic or tetracyclic, of which Nortyptyline is a member.
Little article here.

Talk to doc, or taper off and replace with microdosing. But I wouldn’t combine them, even at MD levels, just to be safe.

I’ve never been on that med, but It’s not safe to mix psilocybin with a tricyclic or tetracyclic, of which Nortyptyline is a member.
Little article here.

Talk to doc, or taper off and replace with microdosing. But I wouldn’t combine them, even at MD levels, just to be safe.
Thanks! Good advice.

Little article here.

Hi again- do you think that microdosing is less risky than macrodosing while on nortriptyline? In other words does a smaller dose of psilocybin produce a smaller amount of serotonin? I would not microdose w out tapering off but am curious if there is a correlation in serotonin levels produced

Complex question.
Yes, but . . .
That’s beyond my comfort in responding, given some of the folks’ pharmacological knowledge here.
You’d certainly have increased risk with increased dosages of either/both, so the inverse should be true.
But wait for a better response before diving in.

Complex question.
Yes, but . . .
That’s beyond my comfort in responding, given some of the folks’ pharmacological knowledge here.
You’d certainly have increased risk with increased dosages of either/both, so the inverse should be true.
But wait for a better response before diving in.
I totally get that. Thanks!

The histaminergic effect will conflict with the mushroom effect, but at microdose levels the heart load could be tolerable, as should be the serotonin levels. What I'm more concerned with is that nortriptyline already risks seizures on its own. It's probably not a substance you wanna push the limits of, even gently.