• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Serotonin syndrome dxm 5htp

lightblue543

Bluelighter
Need advice asap was having a first plat trip on Dex it's coming down now but during it I feel after googling I had or have moderate serotonin syndrome but can't gett the er due to my state unless I had no other choice basically had to gut it out with a positive mind...

like imagine being in the middle of a trip (it was only low dose dxm 300mg 5htp) with the thoughts and experiences that arrise and the ways no one but the taker could understand in the dextroverse, profound dissoctive experience and boom comes SS (I'm sure if someone saw me like that thes probably be able to tell honestly but besides the point)

If I had moderate SS I am really bloody hoping no damage was done or out like that right? Do yous think there is a chance any damage could have happened with moderately high blood pressure, that dxm shaking thing, tremors, odd movements, confusion and the rest and that? I feel semi alright at this point in time but no damage physically done right...?

This study sez:
To our knowledge, however, serotonin syndrome has not been reported in humans in association with 5-HTP, either as monotherapy or in combination with other medications. Regarding the combination of 5-HTP with SSRIs, we know of only 1 relevant study (Meltzer et al., 1997). Single doses
of 5-HTP were administered to 16 patients taking (multiple doses of) fluoxetine, none of whom manifested signs or symptoms of serotonin syndrome. In the same study, single doses of 5-HTP were administered to 14 patients taking tricyclic antidepressants (which inhibit serotonin re-uptake to varying degrees). Again, none of these patients showed evidence of serotonin syndrome. In a multiple-dose study of 26 patients, 5-HTP was used to augment clomipramine, a potent inhibitor of serotonin reuptake. There were no signs of serotonin syndrome or other serious adverse events (Nardini et al., 1983). In addition, trials with patients taking 5-HTP together with MAOIs, a class of antidepressants notorious for its many drug
interactions, did not indicate any side effects attributable to serotonin syndrome (Alino et al., 1976; Kline & Sacks, 1980; Nicolodi & Sicuteri, 1996).

Also, serotonin syndrome is a very severe condition, and in my opinion is a binary condition: you either have it or you don't. There is no real thing as "mild" or "moderate" serotonin syndrome.

Wiki: To fulfill the Hunter Criteria [for serotonin syndrome], a patient must have taken a serotonergic agent and meet one of the following conditions:
  • Spontaneous involuntary muscular contractions and relaxations (clonus, like a seizure), or
  • Inducible involuntary muscular contractions and relaxations (i.e. they occur with stimulation of some sort) plus agitation or severe sweating
  • Involuntary eye movements plus either agitation or severe sweating
  • Tremor plus hyperreflexia (twitching and spastic tendencies)
  • Abnormal muscle stiffness plus temperature > 38 °C (100 °F) plus either involuntary eye movements or inducible involuntary muscular contractions and relaxations

Tremors, odd movements, writhing/shaking is typical of higher dose DXM.
And DXM itself will also raise blood pressure in every trip. It is after all a stronger SNRI than a dissociative, looking at its binding affinities.

As far as I know DXM alone never causes SS. And as that study said even though DXM is a SNRI, 5-HTP should never be expected to cause SS.