• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Serotonergic and Cholinergic combination

schumpetersgale

Greenlighter
I am interested in a discussion. What do you think about combining a sertonin precursor (5HTP), with a positive allosteric modulator of acetylcholine (Galantamine)?

5HTP competes with L-DOPA. Acetylcholine indirectly stimulates dopamine. With less precursor (L-DOPA) available for dopamine production, I am thinking that the effects of Galantamine will be potentiated. Dopamine is needed to slow down choline, but with less precursor available to make dopamine, perhaps production will become more efficient.

I intend to try this combination as soon as I get some Galantamine. Thoughts?

5 htp is a supplement which is able to be sold because it seems reasonably safe. It is not proven that 5 htp alters seritonin in the brain.

Galantamine is a prescription drug and used in emergency medicine for increasing acetylcholinergic signaling in atropine poisoning. This is imo something to really be careful with. Also, acetylcholine has a complex interaction with acetylcholine. Many antiparkinson drugs are anticholinergics.

I do not know what will happen but, i do know what will happen but but the amount of dopamine and seritonib produced is tightly regulated so my guess is your body will select aa much 5 htp as it needs and enough l dopa as it needs amd the rest will be burned as energy or converted to something else. Your body can pick and choose so its very hard to influence neurotransmitters by delivering precursers because excess precursors are effeciently converted to something else it can use or excreted your bodys like a mad chemist you can put a bunch of stuff in but you cant control what your body turns it into or where it goes

Wow i need to go to sleep :) haha acetylcholine has a complex interaction with dopamine depending on the receptor amd location in the brain and where it is signaling too check out m1/m5 m2m3m4 and maybe you might like muscarinic antagonism nucleus accumbens shell muscarinic antagonism motor neurons and nicotinic receptors in the vental tegmal are and nicotinic receptors increasing 5 ht1a seritonin activity in the hippocampus

d1nach, you need to slow down, that last post is effectively just a bunch of words run together - it doesn't make any sense.

OP, as far as I can tell, there's no major interaction between the two. 5HTP is no better than placebo in healthy people.