• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seroquel (Quetiapine) + Codeine Interactions?

FailSafeIndigo

Greenlighter
Hello! This is my first post, though I've been a reader for a while ^_^.

So, I've been diagnosed with Schizophrenia and put on Seroquel XL (extra lame, I assume). I've been self-medicating for years on codeine - not enough to experience a major buzz, but enough to relax me into not freaking out constantly. The problem is... I don't know if there are any drug interactions between seroquel and codeine.

I've read a lot of conflicting reports - some saying no interactions, some saying hallucinations (I get enough of those as it is), some saying instant death.

I take about 150mg of codeine a day (if only I had access to a better opiate!) and I'm currently on 50mg of seroquel, but that'll go up to 100mg in a few days, and then up to 150mg, continuing in that fashion until I reach 300mg.

I'd really appreciate the help!

And apologies for this being in the wrong topic thing.

Please don't take this as medical fact but I take codeine and seroquel and have no interactions.

Quetiapine might block the opiate euphoria at higher doses. But is also could theoretically potentiate the codeine at low doses because of the antihistamine-effect. Quetiapine is mainly metabolized by CYP3A4 which is also responsible of turning codeine into shitty norcodeine. In theory this might increase the conversion to morphine by CYP2D6. Tough question.

Last edited:
ive never had any interactions apart from slight potentiation. I take the serequel about an hour first.

You probably should stick to quetiapine, you will feel much better along with time, as your dosage adjusts itself.

Please be carefull when taking Quetiapine & Codeine together. I'm used to taking quetiapine on a daily basis and i recently combined it with codeine, I had severe respatory problems and hart rate drops. At some point i was affraid of going into cardiac arrest.