• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Seroquel good or bad for opioid w.d?

Wolfmans_BrothEr

Bluelighter
Can seroquel be useful for helping to cope with opiate withdrawal?

Other than using it for sleep i know its classified as an antipsychotic and was wondering if it could possibly help with the elevated heart rate, anxiety and restlessness?

Has anyone tried it?

Most people report that seroquel causes more severe RLS when taken whilst in opiate withdrawal. I have tried it during opiate withdrawal and I didn't like how it made me feel.

I use clonidine for withdrawal since it helps with RLS, puts me to sleep, keeps my heart rate down, and also helps with anxiety. I don't have much experience with gabapentin but I have heard that it helps in many of the ways that clonidine does, with slightly more help with dealing with some of the aches/pains. I'm not sure how it [gabapentin] stacks up against it [clonidine] in terms of anxiolytic effects though, but they both help to some degree.

^ Exactly what this person said, truth. Personally I'd use a benzodiazepine in conjunction with Seroquel, if Seroquel was needed/used, because RLS is sheer torture which is only exacerbated by opiate withdrawal as well as taking Seroquel by itself either with or without opiate withdrawal happening.

Clonodine and something like diazepam should help, although certain dosages of dextromethorphan are reported to be of help.

I haven't found any use for it, not even for sleeping. It causes panic attacks and anxiety for me, and if I'm suffering from insomnia (from opioid withdrawal or other reasons) and take seroquel it will put me in hellish state of mind and body if I still fail to sleep. That shit should only be used for what it's made for. Last thing I would do is to take seroquel while I am awake, regardless of symptoms experienced they only get worse.

Seroquel knocks your ass out at the right dose. I know plenty of people who used to take em during W/D just put put their ass in bed for awhile. I know nothing else about what effects it might have during w/d. Only that people I know used to take it to knock the fuck out.

I found that in smaller doses during the day, the seroquel did help a bit with the withdrawals without simply making you pass out... especially like another poster said, if it's used in conjunction with a benzo. For sleep, it did wonders for me. Nothing was working for me to get me to sleep and the insomnia was brutal.. the detox I was in switched me to seroquel and it was a huge help. So, even if it did nothing to actually help withdrawals directly.. the fact that it'll make you sleep makes being sick during the day much more bearable.

For some it does seem to help, for others it doesn't. I personally don't find it to be that helpful.

It is the WORST EVER don't use it! Man screw that man it's horrible you take it to sleep and maybe it'll knock you out for 15 mins like me and then put you in the worst w/d of your life, stay away!

I found that in smaller doses during the day, the seroquel did help a bit with the withdrawals without simply making you pass out... especially like another poster said, if it's used in conjunction with a benzo. For sleep, it did wonders for me. Nothing was working for me to get me to sleep and the insomnia was brutal.. the detox I was in switched me to seroquel and it was a huge help. So, even if it did nothing to actually help withdrawals directly.. the fact that it'll make you sleep makes being sick during the day much more bearable.
100%, to be honest during withdrawals, sleeping is like a Time Machine, if you can manage to knock out for 8-12 hours on a large dose of seroquel, that’s 8-12 hours less of the mental and physical torture of the withdrawals you have to deal with, and you are 8-12 hours closer to the end of the withdrawals.

Sorry if this thread is really old, I found it on google and wanted to chime in. Seroquel definitely has helped me when I was in opiate withdrawal sheerly by the fact that it can knock me out cold with a large enough dose even when otherwise I wouldn’t be able to sleep during peak withdrawals. I also believe during sleep your body repairs more and recovers / balances out your receptors in the brain causing the withdrawals at a faster rate then it will if you can’t sleep for a week and only get a few hours a day of sleep at most during withdrawals. Seroquel can at least knock me out so I don’t have to experience 8 extra hours of the mental anguish, misery and both physical and mental torture that occurs during peak opiate withdrawals.

It is the WORST EVER don't use it! Man screw that man it's horrible you take it to sleep and maybe it'll knock you out for 15 mins like me and then put you in the worst w/d of your life, stay away!
You probably didn’t take a big enough dose. If you take like 100-200mg with no tolerance to it, that will knock anyone out for the entire night.

It caused me horrible rls. I did actually find thorazine of all things to be helpful for severe wd though. I took a benzo with it though

It caused me horrible rls. I did actually find thorazine of all things to be helpful for severe wd though. I took a benzo with it though
I think some people are really susceptible to RLS from both seroquel and antihistamines like Benadryl, and some people are not. Haven’t noticed seroquel cause me RLS yet, I take 25mg a night for sleep and will take up to 100-125mg to crash and sleep off the second part of a speed/meth high when you are all stimmed and tweaked out but it’s no longer euphoric and you just feel like shit and wanna sleep it off.

Amazingly I’ve actually used seroquel to sleep just like 5 hours after a large dose of meth, 100mg seroquel knocked me tf out and I woke up 7-8 hours later still high as the seroquel wore off lmao and was quite chatty all day still. So if it can knock a person out totally high af on amphetamines, it can knock out a person with insomnia from opiate withdrawal, which I’ve also used it for before. To be honest any sleep is better than the extra hours of opiate withdrawal misery, and opiate withdrawal is even worse when you’re brain is fried because you haven’t slept the last 2 nights cause of withdrawal insomnia, so any sleep helps big time IME. But I definitely say if you have seroquel vs nothing at all, I’d take the seroquel, usually 75-100mg is that sweet spot that should knock you out before you have to deal with too much RLS if you are a person that easily gets it from withdrawals and drugs like Benadryl.

Seroquel is a great sleep aid in general and it is especially useful to comedown off stimulants but I found it did not help during opioid withdrawal. Infact I had a rather unpleasant experience trying to use it at such a time. Maybe look into doxylamine. I found that put me out during opioid withdrawal when seroquel wouldn't.