• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Serious Methadone Withdrawal Questions.

Jowieseff

Bluelighter
Hey all long time no see ! I've been on methadone for about 6 months or so. Maybe 8. Started at 35. Now I'm at 125. Well the methadone clinic I go to (the only one in my area ) is kicking me out i Think due to me drinking alcohol.

What is the best way to go through methadone withdrawal I am scared as hell and am trying to get as much info as I can to figure out how to either stay in the methadone program (maybe I'm a different county or different state) or find out the most comfortable way to Kick Methadone.

Long story short.
Can anybody tell me how their experience was like getting off methadone? What helped and what didn't help? Would you still use methadone again in the future after that first methadone withdrawal experience ?

Thanks all

They are kicking you out at 125mg? Would a clinic actually do something like that without at least doing a 30 day taper? If i went to a methadone clinic that kicked me out at 125mg and just wished me good luck, id probably go back and burn the place down 🔥

How much alcohol are you actually drinking for them to kick you out?

In any event you're in for it. I have no experience personally dealing with dropping to 0mg from that dose. Closest was when i has on an extended stay in Australia and ran out of my 3 month US supply of 380mg/methadone and was forced to go to an adelaide, australia public methadone clinic where the most they'd give me was 180mg. That was a 200mg drop overnight. That was definitely not fun, i was sick for the remainder of my time in Australia. Even months later when i was flying home i was still pretty sick. I remember doing a cold water extraction of codeine pills on the plane back, i never got used to that 180mg.

But that pales in comparison to 125mg to 0mg of methadone. At least i was on some methadone, cold turkey is a different ballpark.

Cold turkey from that dose is not fun you might consider some sort of bernese method buprenorphine induction. Or secure some other opioid, taper down and switch to buprenorphine.

Though I was once hit with narcan while on 380mg of methadone. Now that was horrifying. Never felt so cold in my life. And it burned/hurt. Felt like being thrown in an icy river. Within 90 seconds i was spontaneously shitting myself.

To answer your question, yeah i would take methadone again, its one of my favorite opioids hands down. Im sure if i took 40mg right now i would be pretty high for something like 30 hours since i have no current opioid tolerances. If i took my previous all time high dose of 380mg right now i would almost certainly die within 8 or 12 hours (i don't think i could survive much more than 2 grams of morphine equivalent right now, though who knows 🤯) . Still one of favorite opioids if not my favorite opioid.

I jumped off 140 mg with a professional subutex and Valium taper and I still wanted to die for 3 weeks after that. I’d find a new game plan cause it’s terrible there’s no way to sugar coat it

Please don't try and CT the methadone. Ask the clinic ( beg if you have to ) to give you 30 days to lower your dose. Even then it won't be pleasant. Get some good comfort meds ( gabapentin, pregabalin, benzos, kratom) anything to soften the landing.

Or better yet, just apologize for you relapses with alcohol and ask them to let you stay and continue with your daily doses but keep lowering them so if the day does come that they really do let you go you won't be on 125 mgs maybe only half of that. Even at that it will be rough so just keep lowering your dose consistently.

If they do cut you loose ( even after begging ) get some suboxone and google how long you need to wait before you can start taking some. Because you will have to wait. Don't take any sub when you still have m'done on your receptors. Take the comfort meds until you can induct on the subs. Good luck !

I jumped off 140 mg with a professional subutex and Valium taper and I still wanted to die for 3 weeks after that. I’d find a new game plan cause it’s terrible there’s no way to sugar coat it

Did they slowly induce you on the methadone? I remember you describing that situation, but don't remember all the details.

Did they slowly induce you on the methadone? I remember you describing that situation, but don't remember all the details.

I left my clinic due to a bad meth binge, got on a plane to a detox in Denver, 96 hours later they started me on subutex 1 mg up to 20 mg in 24 hours, then brought me down to 1 mg within 10 days. Also with temazepam and Valium more so cause I was failing for benzos though on my entry drug screen.

It definitely helped but it kind of made me detox from both drugs I feel (bupe and methadone) and of course my benzo taper ended too all at once so when I got back home to a PHP / sober living / IOP, I still was detoxing for a solid 3 weeks. Mainly the worst being days 1-10 though