• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Serious memory loss, maybe from alcohol?

Zon

Bluelighter
Hope this is the right place to post this kind of thing... Lately I am having quite serious memory loss and it's really freaking me out...

I've been having it for a few years, since I was 28 years old so I don't think age should be a factor. I am not a heavy drug user either, maybe drop a pill a few times a year but that's about it. So my best guess would be alcohol as I have been drinking quite a bit through the last 10 years. Hard to say numbers but usually 3-6 nights out per week usually drinking around 5 or 6 beers each night.

So anyway, it all started around 2 years ago, I started getting really bad hangovers, and seemed to be more forgetful than usual so I started to cut back (around 2 nights out a week). But my memory seems to be getting worse and worse :( These days I constantly forget peoples names, even my close friends sometimes! It's ridiculous... I've always been bad at names and stuff but not like this. Imagine going to introduce someone you've known for years and suddenly realizing you can't remember their name! I've also been having a lot of depression over the last year which could also be related but I feel like the problem was there before that...

So does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I was hoping cutting back on booze would help, or at least stop it from getting worse but doesn't seem to have any effect. Could I be sick or something? What is going on? :'(

I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer here, and in any case, if it is negatively impacting your life that much, you should see a neurologist.

good luck :)

Yeah I am thinking to speak to a psychiatrist about it soon but is always better to have some ideas and research before going. I know no one can diagnose me on a forum but maybe someone has some ideas about possible reasons for it. And to be honest some people on bl know more than most doctors about this kind of thing anyway :)

You can probably rule out the pills if you take them at the frequency you state. Maybe, but unlikely due to young age, some neurodegenerative disease is starting to manifest itself? I know alcohol can cause acute amnesia, but I'm not so sure on the extent to which it can cause long term memory deficits.

Alcohol, especially used daily can cause memory problems. I had experienced this also when I was drinking heavily, but I didn't know I had liver cirrhosis on top of hepatitis c. So you're only drinking 2-3 nights a week now? I would start with seeing your GP and get your blood work done. There are also medications they can put you on to help with your cravings.

I've been reassured several times that memory deficits due to alcohol or benzos are transient, but I admit I have similar worries to you.

- Ex alcoholic

If you are experiencing memory losses, you should see a psychologist or doctor. It could be totally unrelated to your drinking! It's quite important.

Ozle - recovering alcoholic.

I did mention 'wet brain' for a good reason - my wife is 29 years clean and sober and saw what alcohol was doing to people. It rinses vitamin B1 out of the body causing Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome. Just read the Wiki & tick the list.