• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Separation of Opiates within Poppy Tea

Oakstone

Bluelighter
So in my experiences with poppy pod tea (or even just grinding them up and eating them), I've found the experience, while nice, to be... "dirty", as it's called sometimes, I think. It seemed quite feverish to me, in a way, if that makes sense. I'm wondering if this could've been caused by the blend of opiates in the poppies sort of muddling the specific effects of each other. (Plus the dreaded thebaine.)

So what I'm wondering is: is there a way to try to separate the opiates within the tea? I'm not asking for something injectable-quality. I know that that's nearly impossible to make out of poppy pods/straw without a quite advanced understanding of/ability with chemistry. I'm just wondering if I can make a few brews of the tea and end up with (for example) a cup mostly only containing morphine, a cup mostly only containing codeine, etc. (This would also be handy for getting rid of the thebaine.)
I guess it probably depends upon different solubilities at differing pH, temperature, etc.

I mostly just want to be able to get a feel for what they feel like separately, instead of in a blend with varying percentages of each. Can anyone give insight into this, or is it basically impossible?

I'm afraid it's a lot harder to do in the kitchen than it is worth. Basically you could separate morphine from codeine and thebaine by making the solution very basic, with sodium hydroxide for example (lye); codeine and thebaine should leave the solution for the most part while morphine should stay as a phenolate anion. Unfortunately I think the problem for you is thebaine or oripavine, codeine shouldn't be a problem unless you're somehow allergic to it. Oripavine (which I think is in opium poppy?) would follow morphine and stay in the solution, so you'd be able to separate the 4 alkaloids into two pairs: morphine + oripavine and thebaine + codeine. Anything more and you'd need some proper equipment as far as I can see.

Disclaimer: This is just basic speculation by looking at the molecular structures of the alkaloids. I haven't actually read much about people making morphine into a phenolate anion by making the solution basic - there could be a chance that it decomposes. So the bottom line is, it probably isn't worth it honestly. How long have you been drinking poppy tea? Maybe you'll get used to it or it's a bad batch or something.

Thanks for the response - knowing it's probably not possible is better than not knowing at all, imo. I do have some lye, though... I probably won't risk it however.
I haven't had it that much, and the times I have have been spread out considerably (mostly due to a lack of pods in my possession). At some point I'd like to get enough that I could do it for a few days in a row to hopefully get used to it (as that's quite likely one problem with it for me).
The funny thing is, the "feverish" feeling is pretty much only the night I take it; the day after I have a long-lasting opiate afterglow/buzz that's great. Perhaps the thebaine or oripavine have a shorter half-life or something.

Yeah, it's not a very good idea to try doing something if you're not really sure what it is you're doing and whether it works at all. Maybe someone else can give some input and confirm whether something like this can work or not.

The feverish feeling could be an allergic reaction to something other than the alkaloids too. Is there any difference between drinking only the tea and eating whole pods?

Maybe it's the thebaine? For me, poppy pod tea was my DOC, I always thought it was the most euphoric, long lasting, purist feeling opiate. It never felt dirty to me. It could be the particular batch?

Sometimes I miss it. But I don't miss the addiction, the fear of running out, the high prices, etc.

Not really that I remember. I don't really mean that I felt like I had a fever, though; I'm meaning that it sort of felt like fever dreams, in a way. Chaotic and disorganized, if that makes sense as effects from a drug, lol.

Oh, and I don't think it's a particular batch, since I had them from a few different places (one of them being my church, haha). I'm growing my own next year though (giganteum), so I'll have some degree of quality-control over them.

Last edited:
I've consumer oceans of poppy pod tea and I think I know what you mean by feverish. Back when I still got the itch, poppy tea would make me flush and itch more than any other opiate. At times it felt like a histamine reaction. It also left me more "fucked up" than typical opiates. The nod on poppy tea was, to me, more enjoyable than the nod from any other opiate - the most vivid opium dreams.

The next day I'd often wake up with a headache and I would also itch my face while sleeping and wake up all puffy eyed. I absolutely loved the day after high though - I'd get a solid 24 hours of opiate buzz.

I found taking some benadryl and ibuprofen helped with the flushed feeling. Benadryl not for potentiation, but for the histamine-like reaction.

I tried many ways of separating out the morphine but never had much success. There was talk about using a slow-freeze method, where the particulates would be caught in the ice and the morphine would stay in the unfrozen water. I don't believe this was meant to separate out the alkaloids, just the plant matter left over after brewing tea. Goal being to dry out the water and scrape up some nice morphine. I never had much success with that though.

Not to get preachy but be careful with that stuff - it is what got me addicted to opiates. I was drinking 50-60 grams of poppy pods a day (strained tea of course.) Then came tons of opana, then heroin. Of course that was back when pods were dirt cheap. Now they cost a fucking fortune.

I haven't actually gotten much of an itch from poppies, oddly enough. What's hilarious is that the first time I had them I ground them up and mixed them with pistachio pudding. Later that night I got *seriously* itchy. Next morning I woke up with a rash all over, and feared I might be allergic to opiates or something. Turned out I was allergic to the pistachio pudding. XD It might be partially due to my kratom usage; I don't get much of an itch from that any more, sadly enough.

Yeah, I've been making sure to space out my poppy usage quite a bit. (No more frequently than once per two weeks, and it was usually longer than that.)