• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Selfishness perhaps?

lovegluegunnin

Bluelighter
So, we all have our down moments where we just feel so empty and don't know what can fill us up again. For some it's love, for some it's hobbies, for some it's their children, etc.

Well, I think that for me, it's caring for other people. All I want to do is make someone happy like I am and wanted to be when I wasn't so happy, when I was at my lowest points in my life so far. I wished I had someone to talk to me the way I want to talk to others who need help. I really, really want to do this for as many people as I can. I want to make a difference.

If I do this because it makes me happy, does that make me selfish?
Just something to ponder.

We are all selfish. Selfish isn't really bad. We just have that image of it. There is another thread that might tie with this in Philosophy and Spirituality, called "There is no such thing as a selfless act", that you might be interested in. Linking on a phone- as I am on, can be difficult... but its on the first page.

Last edited:
We are all selfish. Selfish isn't really bad. We just have that image of it. There is another thread that might tie with this in Philosophy and Spirituality, called "There is no such thing as a selfless act", that you might be interested in. Linking on a phone- as I am on, can be difficult... but its on the first page.

okay, thank you!

It's absolutely selfish. Helping someone should be about making them, not yourself, happy. Selfishness isn't always bad.

If you're not happy how can you spread happiness to another? If I don't have butter I can't put it on my toast...

If I do this because it makes me happy, does that make me selfish?
A few thoughts:

1. What difference does it make?
2. Would it be preferable to do this if it made you something other than happy?
3. Personally, I'd prefer to be cared for by someone who was made happy by the caring.

Warning: My academic adviser suggested I drop "Introduction to Kant" in college midway through the semester because I was probably going to fail the class. True story.