• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Self-publish, or suck corporate cock?

Flickering

Bluelighter
Pretty soon I'm going to start focusing on my lifelong goal of writing fiction and music. I've been thinking, I really don't want to go through a publishing corporation to get my work out there. All I see of the industry is that artists get abused and their work gets unashamedly molested through and through. I'm not interested in making money, and I'd be surprised (though delighted) to get more than a few thousand readers / listeners. So what's the point of going to a publisher, exactly? Is it just something we do because we're chasing this big pie in the sky, the J.K. Rowlings and Metallicas we've been made to believe are the norm because they're the ones who get put in the spotlight? Most artists don't make nearly enough money to earn a living, in fact quite a few of them end up in debt. What's your take, am I missing something here?

why would you even consider traditional publishing when you have such a low opinion of it?

i believe there are advantages to traditional publishing but in this day and age, i think the gap is narrowing and you have much more control over your product, timeline, etc. when you publish yourself.

alasdair

Is it really necessary to go with a publisher in this day and age when you can market directly to your target audience, by yourself, for free via social media and the web at large?

it's cool seeing pieces of creative writing pushed over social media. especially twitter micro stories. certainly try marketing your own stuff. and suck corporate cock if you can. if that ends up not being an option, the creative writing publishers you'd be dealing with are sticking it out because they believe writers should have a forum.

I'm not really hot on microblogging or fanfic stuff but I've been following some self-published novel writers who are making major headway marketing on social media. What seems to be a successful tactic is spreading out a storyline over a few smaller novels and push the first one or part of the first for free in ebook format to get people hooked. It reminds me a lot of the agile method in software development, where the main focus is to just get viable content out there and scale up efforts in response to customer feedback and demand.

Is it really necessary to go with a publisher in this day and age when you can market directly to your target audience, by yourself, for free via social media and the web at large?

This assumes that everyone is a good at marketing. The few writers I happen to know in real life are extremely awkward socially and have zero marketing/PR skills, so they require other people to do pretty much everything while they just focus on writing and nothing but writing. As long as there are people that are unable to perform the services a publisher provides, there will be use for them.

I believe some people also just don't like to have that responsibility put on them and would rather pay a small percentage to not have to worry about it. Look at travel agents, they serve almost zero purpose in this day and age yet continue to be very popular. Why? Many people don't want to worry about putting all of the pieces of the puzzle together. They just want the finished puzzle handed to them and are willing to pay extra for it.

Most people will happily sacrifice money for convenience.

Last edited:
This assumes that everyone is a good at marketing.

No, it just assumes a willingness to acquire the necessary skills to survive as a professional. Social media has become a necessary part of holding onto careers in all knowledge-based industries. For example, I can't even apply for some programming jobs without a LinkedIn profile. A talented developer friend of mine recently launched a personal website (he was already on LinkedIn) and with some SEO tricks and networking managed to scare up an audience on his blog postings. He went from undesirable nobody to getting unsolicited calls from headhunters.

I hate "social media" myself, but society is at the point where we search for who we want to know on Google or FB before even asking a mutual acquaintance for intel. Having a presence online has become a necessity, we're competing on a global scale now and making money depends on standing out against your peers.

The few writers I happen to know in real life are extremely awkward socially and have zero marketing/PR skills, so they require other people to do pretty much everything while they just focus on writing and nothing but writing. As long as there are people that are unable to perform the services a publisher provides, there will be use for them.

Ask one of them to show you their latest royalty cheque.

Technically, even I am a writer, but I don't think it's honest to call oneself a writer if the royalties don't even cover what it costs to feed a hamster. The people I know who legitimately make a full-time living by being writers bust their asses in public engagement and networking. Just like the major, well-known authors they do tours and seminars and workshops and book signings. These are things you can't just hire someone to do for you. People pay real money to attend those events and meet the writer in the flesh. Nobody is going to pay to attend a workshop held by the writer's paid proxy.

Being any good at these aspects of being a writer is not even important. Many people have to deal with aspects of their job that they aren't as good at as other aspects, c'est la vie. Fortunately, there's the local community college for anyone who needs to learn new skills. In fact, I would say it's worth going to community college because most of the night courses are taught by people who actually work in the industry they're teaching skills for. That's how I got acquainted with these aforementioned legitimate writers that I know. $250 to pick their brains for a few weeks was one of the best investments I ever made.

The reality is being a successful writer is hard as fuck. Paying someone else to do part of your job for you is shooting yourself in the foot because nobody being paid to make someone else successful will ever work as hard as a person who works for their own success. I agree that paying pros to do work that would be too laborious to personally do is a good idea, but if being able to earn a living writing is a goal of Flickering, it's not going to be enough to just write.

I'm not interested in making money, and I'd be surprised (though delighted) to get more than a few thousand readers / listeners. So what's the point of going to a publisher, exactly?

At least until you have something really solid that you can stand behind and have the confidence to put out there through a publisher, you're better off self publishing. My first works were done completely via self publishing, and like you said, there's really not a lot of money in it. I ended up spending much more money giving my stuff away than I ever made in royalties by far. This is an attractive option for those seeking to gain experience in how the industry works or if you would just rather publish and distribute on your own (not to say you can't make a dollar if you're well versed in distribution, marketing etc) It's a great crash course in what it takes to publish your works, once you can do it yourself, write /record a few pieces that you are okay with and just throw them out there. There are several self publishing companies that will guide you through the process (for a production fee of course), but they can put your product on channels like amazon globally, put your book in smaller shops, create ebooks etc. Get your name out there, build a portfolio. I was lucky enough to escape any debt, but I certainly paid a price for self publishing, which I wasn't really opposed to. I figured I had to start somewhere.

If you stick with it, develop your craft and become comfortable with it, then big name or even independent publishers might pique an interest in your work. Both the writing industry and music industry are BRUTAL and come with lots of competition. If you feel that you're ready for the next step, submit demos and manuscripts to every place you can get ahold of. The Writer's Almanac is a great source for this. I'm not quite there yet myself, I see plenty of self published works for me in the future, but Im quite a mediocre writer and feel like I need several more publications before I feel like I'm ready to start the publisher submission process. I'm in my mid-late 20s now, and feel I'll be well into my 30s/40s before anything I produce will be taken seriously on a commercial scale. I don't know your skill level, but what I took from the whole process is that unless you have the money to spend on professional editors, advertisement, distribution channel packages that won't complete screw you over, and the raw appeal to readers/listeners, it's going to take a very long time to get anywhere self publishing. It's not an impossibility, but sadly it's likely improbable.

If you choose the publisher route, submitting manuscripts to publishers in certainly a first step (again, The Writer's Almanac is a great resource) . You may also want to consider a REAL literary agent, a list of which can also be found in the almanac lol. You don't have to pay them a dime until a book is signed, in which they will take a small fee from your royalties. This also comes with a lot of creative forfeiture, you're basically signing your rights over to a publication company, but the money and exposure is certainly a balance to that.

I suppose it all comes down to what you want out of your art. Self publishing is a long and strenuous road, while publishers will set you right up with the connections you need if your product is good enough at the expense of your creative control they will sell your book for you.. For example, I could write 10k words tomorrow and have it published and ready for sale the next day. Your publisher with have certain stipulations, regulations and oversight. Honestly, I hope to become good enough one day to find the right publisher, produce good content and ride the gravy train for as long as I can. But like I said, I'm a long, long way away from this.