• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Self medicating for ADHD?

Bleaney

Bluelighter
Does anyone have any experience with the above?

I'm currently waiting for my ADHD assessment and am only self-diagnosed at present but I'm 99% sure that I have it.

A few months ago I've been forced into a job that is too demanding for me, considering the difficulties that my Autism (already diagnosed) and ADHD (only self diagnosed so far) causes me.

In order to get by I've been using Kratom during the working week which gives me a useful mental boost. I've also been using Modafinil at the weekends. I've discovered that Modafinil seems to be more effective, but it's best not to take it all the time.

Many a You Tuber is swearing that modafinil is very effective for ADHD and that it avoids some of the problems that the stronger stimulants can cause.

If I was to play it smart I would alternate between kratom and modafinil in order to keep tolerance low and all the benefits that provides and avoid the problems of increasing tolerance and potential dependencies. Alternate days, weeks, months, anything. Just any alternating.

The problem is that I have inevitably discovered that using both substances together feels a lot nicer and works better. However I know this is potentially a recipe for something verging on disaster or at least a recipe for storing up problems. If I carry on, my tolerance to both substances will eventually be shot that will leave me nowhere to go but the stronger stimulants typically prescribed for ADHD. Assuming I get the diagnosis and get offered those meds.

So far I've only combined both substances as a 'Saturday treat', apart from last week where for various reasons I used both together all week. Yes it feels good at the time, but I know it's not the smart play., and is storing up trouble. It's only been one week so far and I really need to stop immediately. Stopping the combo after only one week feels like it will be hard, even though I know it'll be much worse if I allow myself to carry on.

I already know the answer, it's just kind of helpful to put it all down in writing, and hopefully get the input of others who have been through or going through similar things.

Is anyone else self medicating for ADHD, or have you done so in the past? (whether you knew you had ADHD or not)

What substances did you use and were you able to manage the self-medicating successfully?

By that I mean avoiding problematic drug use as much as possible.

One of the issues I am finding with daily Modafinil use is that if you re-dose too late in the day, which sometimes feels necessary to get things done, this means that more and heavier downers of various types are required to get to sleep at night. This has the knock on effect of making me feel much worse the next day, meaning that I feel the need for stimulants more than ever. So it can easily becomes a bit of a vicious cycle. One which I need to end today before this starts getting completely out of hand.

I have enough experience to recognise any danger signals regarding my drug use, and I'm definitely getting very near to a point right now where all of this could start descending into messy chaos and become a real problem. The whole idea is that the drugs are meant to be a solution and not a problem.

Last edited:
Self-medicating is basically never the right answer….especially when you don’t even have a diagnosis….even more so when you are already identifying the fact that your drug use is already on the edge of out of control.

Everything you are reporting screams bad idea. No medical professional is going to read what you have written and go “yeah using two medications to control a condition that you are not diagnosed with, for which they are not indicated, the use of which you are not able to control, and whose side effects you are using even more drugs to control is a good idea.”

Like you said I think you know the answer here. You could be causing more problems than you’re solving. Keep yourself safe and hopefully your assessment and potential treatment won’t take too long.

I get a little help from cannabis but im old as hell 54.

When I was under 30 or so I smoked too much, it was expensive, and seemed to make me way tireder back then.

Now i blaze pure indica for brunch no prob, wakes me up