• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Self catheterisation on methadone due to urinary retention

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
Urinary retention when take methadone makes me waste the time asleep on the toilet because I end up straining for ages and nodding out. Would it be feasible for me to self catheterise using one of those kits you can get online which uses a syringe-inflated balloon to stay in the bladder?

Yeah, I guess it would if you really need it. What methadone dose are you on?

Sorry I don't think I was very clear. I am maintained by another opioid, tapentadol and a tiny dose of methadone (5mg) whilst I save up methadone I don't use and take it all at once to get high. When I get high I can't pee, so I was considering a catheter because the instruction videos for nurses on youtube look fairly straightforward. I don't know though, I have zero healthcare training or experience so I just wanted to see what you guys think. I know it might sound a bit extreme!

I think a self catheter may cause more problems if you are not trained in implementing one. If you suffer from incontinence then try taking a diuretic to piss faster or use diapers (Nappies?)

Catheterization is a pretty extreme (not to mention unpleasant) solution. Have you tried just wrapping a warm wet towel around your pisser? I had similar issues when I was on subutex and doing this helped a lot.

^plenty of folks out there that do it at home. Paraplegics are a good example. I get retention pretty bad and have nodded out on the toilet too many times - I've become an expert at focusing my mind on the job at hand but I can have no distractions otherwise it will never happen. Amitryptaline and lyrica on top of opiates makes for an almost impossible pee.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. When you're dealing with sharp objects and raw flesh, things tend to go wrong.

Maybe get a prescription for something like flomax (tamsulosin). It's suppose to help relax the muscles involved in urination.

My wife suffers from regular kidney stones (fairly large ones. She keeps the big ones that she passes in a jar by the sink. I shudder every time I look at them). She is prescribed small amounts of oxy to take whenever she is passing a stone. She quickly discovered that the kidney stone and the difficulty urinating from the oxy were bad combination. She is also hyper sensitive to both the main effects as well as the side effects from opiates.

So then her doctor prescribed her flomax. She says it helps her urinate a lot when she is taking the oxy. Maybe it'll work for you?

have you ever been catheterized before? It is not so painful going in, but coming out it can be a searing blast of pain. You see, the balloon doesn't completely deflate.

come on now, youre gonna walk around with a piss bag just for the sake of getting cunted on methadone?

this is very extreme.

when im on opiates i find counting backwards in 3's from 200 or whatever helps, as does sitting down to piss. putting a tube up my dick has never crossed my mind.

@ smackydowners....do you ever sit on the toilet Slater style (saved by the bell) aka backwards hugging the tank?
images

I've had a catheter in hospital loads of time and its never been too painful. It's always been straightforward and I always thought I could do it myself. Spinal cord injury patients do it themselves all the time. Yes I know it sounds a bit OTT but I don't mind.

No I would not leave it in, I would take it out after a while. If I stayed I doors I might tape it to my leg.

I'm going to look into tamsulodin first. If I can just take a drug obviously that is a lot better.

@ smackydowners....do you ever sit on the toilet Slater style (saved by the bell) aka backwards hugging the tank?
images
Don't forget the emo kids who sit backwards so they have a place to write in their diary. On topic...self catheterization sounds terrible. I know all too well about suspending hours passed out on the toilet trying to pee. It may sound stupid but applying slight pressure on my bladder and meditating, telling my muscles to relax eventually worked.