Mental Health Self admitting into Inpatient

reb38

Bluelighter
Has anyone ever purposely send themselves into a inpatient hospital? I've open to suicide the last three months. I say "open" because I have no plans. But I really have felt like shit for awhile. I've been left out of my friends wedding coupled with extreme awkwardness in public due to autism. These are people I know. The last thing is I've applied to jobs, over 15 the past 2 months. None have called back. My doc says I should apply for disability but I say no. I don't want that nor do I need it. I meet with my pdoctor November 1st. I'll I say I'm suicidal. I want this because I am medicated so high it's ridiculous. I'm thinking the could tailor it better. That's the reason I want to go in. Maybe the will reduce meds, couldn't hurt. I've been to a hospital here once and it wasn't too bad. So have anyone done this? I'm not really asking for support but more about doing inpatient. I feel like with inpatient you can only go up.

Yes, I have.

It is a safe place to adjust meds. I think your reasoning is valid.

Though if you say you're suicidal, they might increase the meds?

My meds are so high I don’t think there’s room to go up.

Where do you live? It's pretty hard to get committed here in the U.S. unless you're actively suicidal or homicidal. I tried when I was depressed and deep into alcoholism and even answered yes to them asking me if I was suicidal and I still wasn't committed somehow. If you just want a reduction in meds why not work with your doctor? I'm not saying to not try to admit yourself to impatient if you are suicidal or in a really bad mental state but it just seems like there's other options you could try first.

My meds were adjusted by a doctor in Colorado. This doctor was one of the best in the US. I’m home now and my doctor would never undo what has been done. Understandable. It was a lot of adding meds, taking off, adjusting. He did a very good job even though I get depressed sometimes. That’s just how it is. Especially how it is SAD season.

I live in Mississippi. I believe my insurance will pay for 10 days. That’s how it was last time.

I have schizoaffective disorder.

Last edited:
I had to a few years ago after something bad and as much as I hated the thought, i am happy i went.
Sometimes meds need to be changed.
My doctor put me on effexor and I almost lost my mind, the hospital switched me to mirtazipine and the difference is crazy . I feel great with mirtazipine and I thought they were all the same
Hopefully where you live is like my country. They have mental health units but they separate the people who are screaming from the ones with depression and anxiety.
I hope you get the help you need

I have to level out, after a bad time. I don't know your private healthcare level if you have it, but In Australia, even the worst private hospital facility beats the best public. Be honest, and spend a few weeks, sort your meds. Keep in mind, a private psychiatrist in the hospital, public or private, is going to be far more attentive and not just decide t jack up doses of Haloperiodol or something for a paycheck. What country are you in (PM if comfortable.) My tolerance to medications, which are few now, is absolutely insane. I was at a great facility though, when you're psychiatrist researches RC's with you and starts to get than may standard Valium doses don't cut it, they can help out, after all, "do no harm' is what all doctors are instructed, and if you're honest, and they get it, well, I wish you well

I had to a few years ago after something bad and as much as I hated the thought, i am happy i went.
Sometimes meds need to be changed.
My doctor put me on effexor and I almost lost my mind, the hospital switched me to mirtazipine and the difference is crazy . I feel great with mirtazipine and I thought they were all the same
Hopefully where you live is like my country. They have mental health units but they separate the people who are screaming from the ones with depression and anxiety.
I hope you get the help you need
Mirtazapine in one of three SSRIs I consider actually valuable, and it's not even an SSRI, a NaSSA I think

Commitment in the US is based on what city and state you're in.
If you self commit, they will increase your meds, they will not reduce them at all. Very few psychiatrists taper you off meds.

I have been committed non volunteerly and it worked. They adjusted my meds and I came out just fine. I’d say go for it.

Commitment in the US is based on what city and state you're in.
If you self commit, they will increase your meds, they will not reduce them at all. Very few psychiatrists taper you off meds.

This is not true tell them you don't want no new meds

And I've self committed at least 10 time just go to the hospital n say you feel like killing yourself (so they take you seriously) you'll get in and depending on insurance you'll be there from 3 days to a month