• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Seizure after weed??

MindSeeker

Bluelighter
I like weed. One day I smoked a lot though, with just a little alcohol, maybe 4oz of whiskey, and I suddenly started feeling worse and worse... I came inside the house, sat on the couch and... had a seizure. One, short lasting, but a seizure. That's what my family told me, and one of them has medical education.

I was told my face got totally white.

This was a few years ago. Last weekend I smoked just a little bit - 2 small hits - just to try a new kind of weed I got - after that everything was normal, I barely felt it and then.. about 10-15 minutes later - I felt some kind of heat wave in my face... especially ears, lol... and I started getting dizzy and feeling exactly the same way as I felt before the seizure.

And someone who saw me at the time said that I looked super pale, almost white, on the face.

It lasted maybe 30 seconds, I sat down and felt better, but.. it repeated a few minutes later.

Any ideas, anyone? I know it makes no sense. As far as I know weed shouldn't cause seizures, even if you smoke a lot, but what happened last time really shocked me... just a bit of weed, zero alcohol or anything else, for 10 minutes I'm fine, and then... I felt I was on a good way to another seizure.

I knew someone who rarely had a weird reaction like that. He was a stoner and smoked every day for years, but maybe once or twice per year he would describe something similar.

I saw it happen once. It really freaked him out. It was more than just a weed anxiety attack.

We never really knew what it was. Possibly a partial seizure or something.

I've had seizure like episodes myself when I was a teenager from smoking weed, but I used to hold in my hits way too long back then... Pretty sure it was just lack of oxygen. I would sort of black out, vision goes white and have uncontrolled muscle movements.

@MindSeeker Something similar happened to me July, 2021.

I’d had to stop smoking for a week b/c I was living at my sister’s prior to moving to the east coast (NA). I’m also a home dialysis patient, hadn’t eaten all day, had taken my blood pressure meds and started the dialysis. I figured wtf and smoked a 0.5g joint.

Low blood pressure compounded on top of not eating, dialysis, meds and a joint.

Started feeling sweaty and clammy. Had to disconnect from dialysis. My reflection was pale white. And I knew that my blood pressure always dipped when I smoked. Couldn’t even sit up. Had to lie down on my back on the floor. Was pretty much immobile for 1/2 hr. Dog/cats were very curious.

It may/may not have been part of what you experienced. Feeling the heat wave is what happens when I’m crashing from low bp.

Eventually I scuttlebutted to the fridge, drank 1/2 gatorade and drank some cold soup.

Isn’t totally unusual, but you know the drill. please see a doctor. You could also try a CBD predominant strain or (I like these) the Dosist vape pen, which is metered at 2.5 (or 5?) mg per hit.

Tom

Any ideas, anyone? I know it makes no sense. As far as I know weed shouldn't cause seizures, even if you smoke a lot, but what happened last time really shocked me... just a bit of weed, zero alcohol or anything else, for 10 minutes I'm fine, and then... I felt I was on a good way to another seizure.
I've had a small number of seizures in my life, docs ran quite a few tests and told me it's not due to any brain damage or a tumour/cancer, it's just that my brain can generate excessively strong electrical impulses in response to some stimuli.
For what it's worth, weed was one of the things the doc said would increase the chances of me having a seizure, just like other things like flashing lights, sleep deprivation, alcohol consumption, excessive exertion.
Now in my personal experience weed never was associated with seizures, I was a weed smoker but never had a seizure while high.

Thank you everyone for your input!!!!

@MindSeeker
Low blood pressure compounded on top of not eating, dialysis, meds and a joint.

Thanks to your post I think I figured out what was up. The situation I described took place on the last day of my 14 days long very strict diet with zero fat and animal protein. Now I am pretty sure it was just malnutrition!

I've had seizure like episodes myself when I was a teenager from smoking weed, but I used to hold in my hits way too long back then... Pretty sure it was just lack of oxygen. I would sort of black out, vision goes white and have uncontrolled muscle movements.

It seems then that weed can be innocent in regular quantities and without any other negative conditions, but it can indeed be quite dangerous in certain situations.

For what it's worth, weed was one of the things the doc said would increase the chances of me having a seizure, just like other things like flashing lights, sleep deprivation, alcohol consumption, excessive exertion.

So you need to be sort of prone to this. Perhaps I am. Now I'll try to remember to eat well before smoking. After smoking I won't need to remember, I devour everything I see :laughing:

@MindSeeker Glad things seem to be shaking out. still happens to me occasionally when I've been vaping/smoking all day, not eaten b/c I'm saving for a pig out meal in the evening. If I push my one big meal until too late I can get queasy.

My goto's for quickly raising blood sugar is fruit (peaches, watermelon, mandarines) and to nudge the blood pressure up a bit, 1/2 a gatorade or a cup of instant soup.

Tom

Thank you everyone for your input!!!!

Thanks to your post I think I figured out what was up. The situation I described took place on the last day of my 14 days long very strict diet with zero fat and animal protein. Now I am pretty sure it was just malnutrition!

It seems then that weed can be innocent in regular quantities and without any other negative conditions, but it can indeed be quite dangerous in certain situations.

So you need to be sort of prone to this. Perhaps I am. Now I'll try to remember to eat well before smoking. After smoking I won't need to remember, I devour everything I see :laughing:
Yep, I consider myself extremely lucky in regards to what type of epilepsy I have.
Only ever got seizures when multiple factors where present at the same time.
Reading the other experiences, I remember that being hungry or thirsty was always one of the factors for me.

It's more likely adulterants in it or shit sprayed on it. Sometimes weed gives me myoclonic seizures and some I'm totally fine with.

Yes a doctor actualy diagnosed a family member with 'cannabis toxicity' after having a seizure, which she only has had when she smokes dabs and carts nonstop. I believe it is somethin neurological but out of my depths already