• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Seen blood in IV but, missed the shot twice in a row.

cadaverella

Greenlighter
I've only been IVing for 2 weeks now and I somehow missed a shot twice in my right arm (inner elbow area). I seen blood in the IV when I pulled back and continued as usual but, never felt the rush or heat afterwards like I always do so, I know I missed. Can't use the other arm because every time I shoot in that one now, it feels like a knot in the area I shot. I have no fucking idea what it is and I'm kinda worried about that. What happens to your body when you miss? Anything I should worry about? :? And the other knot in the arm, should I be alarmed? I IV 2mg of dilaudid 3-4 times a day and like I said, only 2 weeks since I first started. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had this problem before because I got long tipped needles always which I later found was totally unnecessary since I tie off and my veins naturally protrude anyway, come to find out I now have heard short tips the way to go. Because yea u draw back blood but if u move it a tiiiiny bit further/back then itcould miss

Dunno if that's it but figured I'd give you my experience since it might be

You must remain absolutely still. Experiment with long/short needles and smaller/larger gauges and see what is easiest for you.. I like short, 31g my girlfriend likes long top, 29g.

I was absolutely still :( And I use short 29g insulin needles. I've never missed before. Do you think my veins are just getting harder to hit? How long have you been IVing and can you still IV in your inner elbow area?

I use short needles 29g insulin needles. I've never had this problem before. :( I've never shot in my hand and wouldn't even know how to begin to. Any other spots you recommend?

It sounds like the vein is either thrombosed (clotted) or collapsed. It's really important that you rotate your sites to protect your veins from damage, and also make sure you use a fresh needle each and every time as they become blunted after just one shot, and can cause a lot of trauma to your veins and surrounding tissues.

If the needle is only half in the vein you can register and see blood but still have a missed shot, so this may have happened, or the vein could be too narrowed for you to be able to deliver the shot fully into it. Whatever the cause, it is important that you leave that site alone now. If the vein is thrombosed then it may well recover and you want to give it the best chance; if it is collapsed or scarred then it is unlikely to recover, however.

Inner elbows are the easiest and safest places, but if you have no veins available here then your forearms are often the next best place. Take a look at a vein map, make sure you are warm and well-hydrated and have a feel. Sometimes the best veins can be felt but not seen - get used to what veins feel like. Try using a tourniquet and exercising/lifting weights to make your veins pop out.

I wouldn't go for your hand unless you have no veins at all on your forearms/upper arms, as the veins are fragile and roll easily, so there is a higher chance of missing your shot or developing an infection.

I'm going to move this over to OD as they are the IV experts.

BDD > OD

^Listen to Effie's advice.

A good technique that helped me out a lot when I first started to I.V, was to create a vacuum within the barrel of the syringe. The way you do this, is that you draw back on the plunger as soon as the needle enters your flesh, even before you think you've hit the vein. This will cause a suction, so once you slide the syringe in at an angle that does register, the blood will shoot up the barrel, and you can just press down on the plunger without having to worry about slipping out of the vein after registering the normal way.

This isn't ideal obviously, and it's good to learn how to properly stay in the vein as you don't want to be wiggling a syringe point in and out of your arm till you strike gold, but it will give you an idea of where the veins are located as well as what angle you need to insert your syringe in (always use a shallow angle btw..).

Yeah. The vacuum technique is pretty golden..it's a great trick especially when your veins start to become harder and harder to easily hit.

Depending on where you are hitting, it requires a different technique. Sometimes the veins are really high on the surface, so you have to go in almost parallel or use the short tips. Other times, they are deeper and you need to dig and use a long tip. This is something that just comes with experience. Try different spots on your arms, even if you do have one really good vein. I know the temptation is great to just stick to the same spot until it's ruined, but rotating your sites is much better. If you practice hitting in new spots while your go to is still good, if it doesn't work out.. you can always just hit your regular vein. But when it goes, and it eventually will, you'll be glad you learned how to hit other veins.

just leave it alone for a day or two, then you'll be able to use it again

Ok, and my other arm. My left arm. Every time I shot up in that arm, a little (pea sized) knot came up and stuck out afterwards for a few hours before going down. Any ideas to what this is? I haven't used in either arm since yesterday. Do you think it's vein is either thrombosed (clotted) or collapsed? How would I know. It stays a little numb as well. I'm fucking praying I didn't fuck something up. :(

If you loose your veins in a few weeks your technique is causiong major trauma and you need to change it.

If your vein is collapsed you will not be able to register. If you have been poking around in the area or you missed a shot the swelling can cause reduced or blocked bloodflow with a vein which might make you think it's collapsed.

You have to anchor your hand and pin meaning rest against your arm, the pin should not move even 1mm. You should not have ANY pain what so ever while injecting other wise you are missing.

Halfway thoguh you can pull back a unit to make sure you are still in. SImply do not press the plunger if you feel burning..theres no reason to miss a while shot.

The knots and lumps are all swelling blood whatever from trauma you are causing. Are you not using brand new pins every time or something? YOur veins should last forever or atleast years even with heavy abuse. you need to educate your self on proper technique or have someone show you.

If you keep missing shots or you hvae a lump/swelling that is increasing as the days pass you have an abscess and need to go to the er to get antibiotics and a lancing. You dont wanna keep missing eventually youll get bacteria wher eyoud ont want it,.

Man I feel ur pain!!! I was able to hit perfectly when I first, first started and I am new to this just like u but now it's weird!! I can see the vein protruding out, I can feel it with my fingers, and when I pull back I draw blood but I have been missing a lot recently! I also have the problem of when I get it in and draw blood but get the burning feeling that I am not I so I try to get it in but have the needle clog bc my blood is now in there! Ugh Smdh!!!! It's like super frusterating! The little bumps that u see (I know this from experience) is the fact that u r missing. The "product" is not going into ur vein but otherwise going into ur skin/muscle/whatevs and it's creating a bump. Sometimes it doesn't burn or have any feeling bc it depends on the "product" and placement of what ur doing to have that feeling. I was very interested in this post. I feel like everyone is being very helpful but really not answering the question. At least the question I want answered. Is how to educate myself on how to hit properly and what is causing me to draw blood but still missing. I know the moving thing bc let's face it of course if u move it can come out of the vein. However, doing it urself with one arm can be hard not to move. It was so easy and now it's harder. Y?!?!? I feel ur pain man!!

As people said (for the newer poster) you're likely pulling the needle out when you register