• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

SeeKrit MENS clubs and why men should be bloody left alone to enjoy whatever they do in them as its BORING AF anyway

✿Dai₷y✿

Bluelighter
The WELD CLUB, yawn, who cares

above article said:
The exclusive, all-male history of Perth's Weld Club

ABC Radio Perth

/

Kimberly Howie and Emma Wynne

Posted Tue 29 Apr 2014 at 10:56amTuesday 29 Apr 2014 at 10:56am, updated Wed 30 Apr 2014 at 1:35pmWednesday 30 Apr 2014 at 1:35pm

The Weld Club on Barrack Street in Perth in 2014. The building is little changed but is now dwarfed by skyscrapers.(
ABC: Kimberly Howie
)

The 143-year-old gentleman's club on the Esplanade was created to bring a slice of London life to the small colonial outpost of Perth.
Richard Offen from Heritage Perth described Gentlemen's clubs as having originated "in the 17th century coffee houses in London where men used to meet and chat and gossip".
"The Weld Club was founded at a meeting at the Perth Town Hall on the 8th of August, 1871, and it was very much along the lines of the exclusive gentlemen's clubs in London.
"It was named after Mr Fredrick Weld, later Sir Frederick, who was the Governor of Western Australia from 1869 to 1875."
A month after the club's foundation the Perth Gazette reported:

Suitable club rooms have been taken in a central portion of the city, and we have no doubt the club will be found to fill up an hiatus in colonial society, which was most seriously felt.

"The members met to discuss politics and play billiards and to invest in the stock exchange, in an informal way," he said.

The first Weld Club clubhouse on the corner of St George's Terrace and Barrack Street, Perth, 1874-5.(
Supplied: Battye Library
)
"They imported newspapers from Britain and other colonial countries so they would sit in a leather chair and enjoy a glass of brandy and read the news from Britain.
"The membership was men from the colonial gentry and government officials, all of high social standing, so it really was an influential forum."
From 1872 the club relocated to the house of member John Summers at St George's Terrace, which was temporarily adapted, and in 1890 they decided to build a much larger home.
A design competition was held and the winner was J. J. Talbot Hobbs, a prominent Perth architect who also designed the Perth Cenotaph, the Swan Brewery and the Windsor Hotel.
"He designed the building in federation Queen Anne style on two storeys, and with verandahs on two sides," said Mr Offen.
The new club building was officially opened by Governor William Robinson on 22 December, 1892. The West Australian reported:

"...the members possess in the new building a habitation which would receive respect in any of the Colonies. If, in its ornamentation and size, the building does not compare with those of some of the clubs in larger centres, few possess a finer site and surrounding."

According to the Australian Heritage Register, "While other private clubs were formed in Perth in the 1890s .. the Weld Club was the most prestigious and exclusive".

The Weld Club on Barrack Street (then still a dirt road), Perth, photo published in the Western Mail on 10 November 1921.(
)
"A roll call of members, shortly after the new premises opened, in 1892, shows that 13 out of the 15 members of the Legislative Council and 21 out of the 30 members of the Legislative Assembly belonged to the Club, including the President of the Legislative Council, the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly and all the members of Sir John Forrest's Ministry."
"It really was a mark of respectability to be admitted into the club," said Richard Offen.
The benefits of membership, according to the register, included accommodation whilst in town, various recreational activities: billiards, reading, croquet, bowls and tennis and they "could sail on the Swan River or, when visiting Britain, rent a luxurious house boat, The Golden Grasshopper, in which to sail down the Thames".
"By 1901 membership had increased markedly and, in 1904, extensions practically doubled the size of the club and provided new residential accommodation.
"Indentured Chinese servants were employed as cooks, bed makers, yardmen, waiters, butlers and billiard markers at the Weld Club until 1901, after which time they began to be replaced by white servants, although there were Chinese on the staff until 1927.
"Women were first employed as staff in 1927."

Elevated view from the Weld Club over the Esplanade showing the parade to mark the jubilee of Queen Victoria, 1897(
)
Despite its status among the Perth establishment, the status of women has been an ongoing source of controversy for the Weld Club. In 1892, the Women's Christian Temperance Union moved in next door in Barrack Street.
"In the mid and late 1890s, the Union strove hard to win votes for women, a movement much deplored by many of the members of the Weld Club," the Australian Heritage Register recorded.
In 2006, the then WA Attorney-General Jim McGinty said, "In my view organisations like the Weld Club are dinosaurs from the past", and announced plans to force the club to admit women as members, however the laws never came to pass.

I am getting really pissed off with the alleged need for women to be included in everything as who the hell gives a shit if there's a men's only thing, its not as if its actually interesting and I'm pretty sure there's women's only crap everywhere.

Women who feel so excluded should take a good hard look at themselves.

Sure they're rich businessmen and would be helping each other and getting richer,in doing that.

I doubt tantruming a d demanding from women is seen as anything but annoying nagging (what u reckon @TheLoveBandit ?

TLB and a lot of particularly male people that have cum and gone dont like women who are kinda on their case about shit, men tend to be seen as less nagging and more powerful.

I doubt whining and publishing the names of all WELD members in the paper will win any favours and if it does relent and allow women in, as if women will just get richer as they aren't the guys buddies.

What seekrit men's groups are in your area?

Leave the simple sex alone to be men, they need to be all manly man and do it without a woman judging, besides women don't seem to be wanting guys to come to women's things (I avoid them too as women really are bitches sometimes, so am I and prefer to talk to cats).

Feminists have to realise they are screwing up by forgetting women who are mothers and have a hell of a lot to do do not always want to work, cant rely on men to drop work when the kids are sick as easily, dont have the same drive career wise at all costs and probably just wish feminist activists would get laid more and stfu.

Women or these advocates for more inclusion are just doing it to get in with the woke era crew who do spoil fun, theres need for genders to have time away from each other to do their shit.

@Perforated, this isn't sexist, I feel, if it is I'm fairly sure adults can cope but if not then I suggest some harden up pills for feminists, some things like having to invade a boring men's club just coz isn't about equality, its forcing upon a peaceful private population change when ill bet not many of the activists want to be there, they just don't want men to be comfortable.

Alternative idea would be a women's Weld club that wouldn't be any fun , bet there wouldn't be male strippers or even non vegan hors devours.
.:p

Last edited:
@Perforated, this isn't sexist.
I agree that the article is not sexist, and neither is your post. You raise some important questions about Feminism for discussion. I’m not sure if they are better discussed here or over in CEPS, but we’ll see how we go.

One thing I’d say is that the kind of Western feminists who mount campaigns like this operate on a system of values that places career above family and all other interests, desires, or concerns that women might have.

While I think it is perfectly fine and normal for some women to want to compete equally with men in any career they like, it is possibly a mistake to organise the entire culture to cater for those particular kinds of women and basically compel all other women to buy into the same set of values.

I know plenty of women who have been made to feel guilty wanting to mother their children closely all the way to high school. Even though they felt mothering was the highest possible calling or vocation.

However it’s not that one version of womanhood is superior or inferior to the other. The issue is that we need to respect and cater for diversity in what women want to do with their lives. Obviously the converse is true too, and a man that wanted to give up his career to father his kids full time should be seen as making a legitimate and valued choice also.

In the case of bastions of social and political power like this club though, I think that the time has come to get rid of discriminatory measures. It’s within living memory that these clubs would not let in Catholics, or Jews, or non-white people too. They are basically a place for powerful people to control power by being a forum to do everything informally “between friends”. In a democracy that’s bullshit, and everyone should have equal access to such power if they have the skills and the talent. As many women do.

Please don't move this to CEPS, I am sick to death of the amount of nitpicking, editing, deleting there. Its a no from me.

Feminists have changed things for the better and worse for women, also men.

I like men, they are generally funny and more easy going, maybe its a privilege thing or because for hundreds and thousands of years we had defined gender roles that worked out well for the species.

The nuclear family, hubby working and wife at home for the kids was normal for the generation before mine and my parents .

What is going on now us bad for everyone except women who seem to want and get "it all", dunno how that's true as day care is the new parent and kids are losing out.

Men have done nothing wrong, really, they just have their thing they do and ffs just let them.

Gives women time without men annoying them at home anyway abd if these Weld bozos are that rich they can afford a maid, cook, driver and nanny. This is what feminists forgot about.

What about women who are that clever or lucky to not have to work and still be rich and pampered, surely these women can't be feminists demanding all weird shit as they'd have to ..well..follow through with it and do the CEO jobs, pop the kids out , belittle men's masculinity, mow the lawn, wash the dishes, etc.

Nah fuck that, I'd be happy to just get a hubby to do the money earning boring crap, mow the lawn, kill cockroaches if all I have to do is let him go to a men's club and not wash the dishes .

I’ve always preferred the company of women to men so I can’t speak from experience really but I can understand why men might like to have a male only space to do their male stuff. Until very recently they had lots of places outside work: the football club, the Masonic Club (or similar organisation), the front bar at most pubs. I don’t think there is anything intrinsically wrong with blokes just wanting to hang out with blokes. It’s only when power and politics comes into the pictures and those men only spaces end up controlling resources that women want access to.

But it’s worked the other way too. In some female[dominated industries and professions men can feel really cut off from access to power because they aren’t able to participate in women-only activities.

I was just thinking about throwing a men's only rave, but then I realized it would be overrun by gays.

You'll probably attract a huge mob of offended women who wouldnt go if they were allowed originally or maybe 3 women and some liberal activist demanding entry only to get in, ruin your candy flipping peak by lecturing how women don't ruin anything ever then demanding Alanis Morissette instead of Tiesto. And you'll need more toilets. And toilet paper. And have to get more security so women don't have to take any self responsibility in drug use , get with guys and need rescuing. Srsly, women don't write yourself off, look after yourself, when there's drugs involved dont assume you'll be safe .

Stick to the men raves and just turn gay, its easier than putting up with us, we kinda suck.

I’ve always preferred the company of women to men so I can’t speak from experience really but I can understand why men might like to have a male only space to do their male stuff. Until very recently they had lots of places outside work: the football club, the Masonic Club (or similar organisation), the front bar at most pubs. I don’t think there is anything intrinsically wrong with blokes just wanting to hang out with blokes. It’s only when power and politics comes into the pictures and those men only spaces end up controlling resources that women want access to.

But it’s worked the other way too. In some female[dominated industries and professions men can feel really cut off from access to power because they aren’t able to participate in women-only activities.

Thing is, women like anyone including antelopes, have to start somewhere and women are very manipulative and crafty, many career and self promoting to be teh grand poo bar are far more agile at getting what they want than less schemey men. Women would have so many other ways and means to get what they want simply by doing what corporate climbers do-play men off against each other.

Men talk, they talk to wives, lovers, they show off things, they might even have genuine respect and trust in women peers who simply aren't in WELD.

Demanding entry just coz its SOoO Unfair is not a good way to earn respect and could make any businesswoman look like a dimwit.

Having quotas based on sex is stupid as well, never liked that. Women can and will get what they want if they are determined enough , its not easy when you lose years in workforce with kids.

All women have to do is pretend they don't have kids or can show the family won't affect their availability for work at all abd never take rime off coz sick kids. My previous bosses admitted the kid thing cant officially be a reason to not promote but it is. Men don't have that problem.

My boss said he wouldn't employ women anymore who had many kids as its too hard to do a roster.

I missed a promotion as I couldn't work at 5am, which allegedly was vital but had so much more experience than the guy who got it. He starts at 7am as he wants to, so I could have done that but I am not a yes man who does the managers work for him anyway, so it wasn't because I'm a woman, I'm not a limp wrist with no balls.

But that's a choice and basically too bad, the husband could have raised the kids but didn't coz priorities.

Women need to stop thinking the sexes are the same as they arent. Gaining things like executive positions should be based on either their ability or how they sell themselves to get the job.

My CEO is a woman and she's a ruthless soul sucking profit driven robot, the old one was a male pathologist who stepped down coz family issues, he was about quality and patients, which was great but now no one gives a shit about things going wrong , lack of workers just as long as the share price goes up.

Women's traditional roles of being the centre of the family has really just been devalued and its sad, not all women would really care about having the same access to jobs and money unless the men had to take back some routine unpaid tasks that women did in return.

You'll probably attract a huge mob of offended women who wouldnt go if they were allowed originally or maybe 3 women and some liberal activist demanding entry only to get in, ruin your candy flipping peak by lecturing how women don't ruin anything ever then demanding Alanis Morissette instead of Tiesto. And you'll need more toilets. And toilet paper. And have to get more security so women don't have to take any self responsibility in drug use , get with guys and need rescuing. Srsly, women don't write yourself off, look after yourself, when there's drugs involved dont assume you'll be safe .

Stick to the men raves and just turn gay, its easier than putting up with us, we kinda suck.
Oh come on, In all seriousness, I have gotten fucked up out of my mind and had to be peeled off the ground, why shouldn't a woman have that same freedom?

Thing is, women like anyone including antelopes, have to start somewhere and women are very manipulative and crafty, many career and self promoting to be teh grand poo bar are far more agile at getting what they want than less schemey men. Women would have so many other ways and means to get what they want simply by doing what corporate climbers do-play men off against each other.

Men talk, they talk to wives, lovers, they show off things, they might even have genuine respect and trust in women peers who simply aren't in WELD.

Demanding entry just coz its SOoO Unfair is not a good way to earn respect and could make any businesswoman look like a dimwit.

Having quotas based on sex is stupid as well, never liked that. Women can and will get what they want if they are determined enough , its not easy when you lose years in workforce with kids.

All women have to do is pretend they don't have kids or can show the family won't affect their availability for work at all abd never take rime off coz sick kids. My previous bosses admitted the kid thing cant officially be a reason to not promote but it is. Men don't have that problem.

My boss said
Oh come on, In all seriousness, I have gotten fucked up out of my mind and had to be peeled off the ground, why shouldn't a woman have that same freedom?

We can get fucked up and have more fun anywhere anything, its not as if a dudes only rave one off is the be all and end all, let the dudes dude it up .

Welcome to the Man Cave; no girls allowed

Yeh. I don't see many blokes whinging about not being included in the local knitting club... 🤣
Nobody expects the knitting club.

Nice one at exposing it, Fubar, ffs. Is any debauchery that's hidden in the least expected of social institutions, sacred anymore! 😖

It is the 1%.

The men only clubs in America are called bath houses.
Yeah those are not Men's clubs. Lol!
We have a really fancy one here called The Pendennis Club. Doesn't look all that interesting to me but I'm not involved much in business.

Men's bath houses often double as a gym membership.

It's locker room talk and it's just one of those things.