searching "private" areas

LilBlondie

Bluelighter
i did a search but i didn't really find anything... i just want to know if cops are allowed to search certain "private" areas like underwear, etc? even with probable cause?

Yes. If the item(s) police are searching for could likely be hidden in a private area, such as your underwear (even inside body cavities), these areas are fair game for a search. If, however, police have a warrant to find a hidden stereo or bike, for example, one would not reasonably suspect these items to be found in the "private" areas you describe.

They are allowed to search these areas but in most police forces it has to be an officer who is the same sex as the person being searched. If you're a girl and the cops are all blokes they should leave you alone (untill they can get a female there anyway) Also these types of searches should not be conducted in general view of the public.

I have only seen girls get searched 'very well' when a female officer is present.

Searchs are tough ground...

Cops are crooked as hell in Chicago

If the police believe they have enough evidence to warant the search where they believe they are likely to find any contraband. This could come in the form of an informant stating they have seen you secrete an item. Also if the police are to place you into the custody of corrective services, any new person entering this type of custody is stripped searched, so if the police didn't find anything, they will.
There may also be other reasons depending on the circumstances.

Yup they can, i was down to my boxer in a circle of cops all looking for weed, heres a little hint, when your in your underware during a search they make ya shake your underware so stuff might fallout, so dont assume your totally safe with drugs in your underware

ahh yes, the good ol underwear search, but correct me if I'm wrong but to do anything more than a terry pat on the street don't you have to be taken into custody and taken down to the station??

nope they did it in school,they asked my parents if they could do one and they said yes, so i was pulled in another room(in school) and they did it

damn...

that really sucks. i was just thinking about having to "carry" some things. I don't want to be caught with them so I thought I might ask to see if cops could search ANYWHERE. thanks for the replies :D

Mahan, Id actually like to get your take on this.

In Miami, police will not do a bodily cavity search unless you are actually arrested for a felony. I dont know if this is constitutionally reqd or just the department policy.

I do remember from first year crim pro that police CAN NOT do a bodily cavity search if you are simply arrested for a misdemeanor (i.e possession of marijuana).

Mahan, or anyone else who knows.. Can police do a body cavity search without a warrant, simply based on prob cause to search.

well with the comment to you being searched in school when your parents agreed then i'm assuming your under age in which case then all bets are off, i mean you still kinda your parents property till 18.... but i'd still like more info of being on the street and the cop checking underwear, cause like i stated a terry pat is only outer clothing.....

I have been strip searched before. Not a fun experince :( I am a female and they had to call in a female state trooper to do it.
They can not go inside of you if that whats your asking, so if you have whatever crambed up your cooch you'll probably get by fine. make sure it won't pop out when you bend over thou.... think that old ice cube song, lol .kinda like that, lol.