• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Scrap ecstasy charges, says Australian ex-minister

Bluelight Crew
Ecstasy users should not be charged by police, former federal health minister Neal Blewett says.

The former Labor MP also says cannabis laws around the country are "chaotic" and need reform.

Dr Blewett made his assertions in a keynote address to a police drug and alcohol forum in Australasia on Tuesday.

He believed resources should target the most serious drug abusers.

"Already we struggle with drugs, including designer drugs scarcely on our horizon in the past," said Dr Blewett, the minister who launched Medicare.

"The whole development of the internet has introduced a vast new range of problems in the ways drugs are distributed in our society," he told 6th Australasian Drug and Alcohol Strategy Conference.

"The fact that the majority of criminal justice resources are absorbed by minor first-time drug users, by the way of cannabis and ecstasy, should make us rethink the use and allocation of these resources."

He said all use and possession of small amounts of cannabis should be treated as a civil misdemeanour. "And there is a good case for treating ecstasy in the same way."

In NSW, police charge anyone in possession of ecstasy, with the courts deciding whether a criminal conviction is recorded. With cannabis, police have the discretion to issue warnings rather than lay charges.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/scra...-exminister-20130320-2gf4q.html#ixzz2Ou40KXJW

Good ideas, pity none of the people in power wont things like these ideas to happen. But you never know I guess, maybe we'll see some changes one day.

Do they actually think that arresting small time ecstasy and marijuana users is going to stop people from using drugs? Its quite pathetic that you can get a criminal record for an ecstasy pill.

It's beyond pathetic, it's ridiculous & infuriating & it should be stopped.

I started reading, thought it wasn't too bad until I read this:

He believed resources should target the most serious drug abusers.

The most serious drug abusers are those who need the most help, NOT those who need more policing.