• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Scared & unsure - need help identifying if I am experiencing withdrawal

cosmic_canary

Greenlighter
First time poster, long time lurker. Really would appreciate some help here discerning if I could be experiencing opioid withdrawal. I feel like an idiot asking this, but I am honestly at a loss & I need help.

I developed pretty terrible chronic pain a few years back from various health conditions, and periodically would receive limited prescriptions to hydrocodone, oxycodone, tramadol.

Anyway! I played it pretty safe for years. Using them only from time to time with lengthy gaps inbetween and never developing a dependency or raising my tolerance.

That is, until I had surgery again a month ago in mid-July. For some bizarre reason my surgeon insisted it was better to supply me with hydromorphone and tramadol as a combo instead of the oxycodone I am accustomed to post-surgery (this was my 4th surgery since 2015).

For almost every single day for a month straight with only a few days off, I took something. For the first 5-6 days it was around the clock - mostly the Dilaudid (2-4 mgs by mouth, so not a big dose). The following week it was mostly oxy and I was taking 10-15 mg only 1x a day at night.

In the couple weeks that followed it was a mix - sometimes oxy, sometimes the trams, and then finally…I am sad to say, I became concerned with running out of both of those (which I enjoy far more) so I decided to use the Dilaudid for awhile (use my least favorite first, I guess). I kept justifying it to myself that I am stuck at home, in pain (my recovery was a maddening weeks-long process of complications) so why not. I’ll quit when I run out, I told myself. Again, I only used them once a day, in the evening. But as I am sure many of you are familiar with - I wanted more “bang” for my buck, and researched the process of snorting them instead of swallowing given their shit bioavailability when taken by mouth.

I never snorted more than 4 mgs. And in fact, only did 2-3 mg for a few days at first. This only went on for about a week and a half - again only 1x a day.

You can infer my tolerance is still relatively low bc I felt pretty damn good a this dose! Not like nodding level, but I could hang out with my partner, put on some Netflix and just feel content and relaxed for a few hours.

Anyway, the last time I did this was last Wednesday night.

By Thursday late afternoon, I was feeling like shit. I can’t believe how potentially naive I was. Let it be known I actually have post-grad training in the chemical dependency realm, and I am no dummy about opioids. It’s how I justified my use over the years - relied too much on my “smarts” to argue my more recreational use was “safe”.

Am I experiencing opioid withdrawal?

Important to note:
  • only took opioids 1 x a day in evenings for most days out of a 1 month period
  • Never took more than 10-15 mg of Oxycodone
  • Never took more than 100-150 mg of Tramadol
  • Never took more than 4 mg of Dilaudid
  • I never felt shitty in the 24 hour span between doses until last week….
Symptoms that started Thursday:

1. Crazy runny nose and sneezing
  2. Horrendous sinus pain, pressure, and congestion
  3. Killer sinus headache
  4. General “weird” cognitive feeling - light-headed, slow-witted, spacy, out of it
  5. Nausea and lack of appetite for first couple of days - as I neared dinner moving towards 48 hour mark, this let up quite a bit
  6. Abdominal discomfort at times
  7. Aches only in chest and back - almost like a pulled muscle from sneezing, etc.
  8. It really felt like a bad cold
  9. Last night (night 3 without opioids) fucking awful RLS, couldn’t sleep till nearly 5am. (Didn’t have this the first couple of nights)
  10. Now I am at almost 4 days without meds and my nasal passages are still aching and inflamed, appetite still kinda weird, still kinda in a weird head space, we shall see about the RLS later tonight.
Of course in these COVID times, I worry it’s not withdrawal at all, and I actually have been sick! I’ve been quarantining to be on the safe side.

I’d love and appreciate some thoughts on if withdrawal can occur based on my usage history and symptoms. While I could find countless descriptions of withdrawal being like a “flu”, I saw none describing it as a “bad cold”. Did I fuck up my sinuses somehow from the snorting? I didn’t do much and it was only for a little over 1 week. However, I’m a total novice at it (with a history of sinus infections and terrible allergies I might add) & I don’t doubt I did it poorly - maybe got shit in my lungs or inhaled too big of particles, I dont know.

Lastly, I am curious - did I ruin my well-maintained tolerance levels? I’ve kept my recreational doses so low & still found them enjoyable. Did I possibly fuck that all up with the Dilaudid (even though I never took more than 4 mg)?

I still have a really limited amount of each type of med. How long do I need to wait before I can take something without re-starting the withdrawal process if that is what this is? I still have intense pain at times and I cannot take NSAIDs due to another health condition.

I will toss the limit I have left if I indeed got myself into a situation where I ruined my tolerance and will put myself into withdrawal again - these past few days have sucked & I am angry I did this to myself, potentially!

I know I just wrote a novel so I apologize!! I just feel so alone on all of this & I am beyond driven to understand what is happening to me. Also, add in the additional COVID anxiety and I just need to talk to someone about this…..

Thank you so much!

well...just in case I don't end up receiving any replies (which is fine! I feel kind of like an idiot with this post, anyway), I thought I'd add that I just spent hours reading old threads on opioid dependence/addiction/withdrawal, and holy shit I think I'm a dumbass and managed to get myself on the slippery slope I always swore I'd avoid. As I sit here, another night, with more noticeable aches and pains in my back, arms, and legs along with restlessness and anxiety, it certainly does seem like I am experiencing withdrawal. I'm humbled by my own blindness. And honestly humiliated. I feel very foolish that I told myself if I kept to small doses and only used 1x a day that this couldn't happen to me. I went on and off for so long without it becoming too problematic, but to get access to more of this type of drug during one of the hardest times in my life was a recipe for trouble, I suppose.

Anyway, I have some soul-searching to do now because I cannot pretend that I don't want to eventually use my remaining pills (have less than 10 of all 3 types), but also....what the hell am I doing?

I'm talking to myself here, but it's helping! Thanks to anyone reading my ramblings.

... did I ruin my well-maintained tolerance levels?
I do not believe so. All one has to do is quit for a while or drop dosage and the tolerance will drop, IME.
Welcome to blueligh. No-one is slighting the post it is just (as put: novella like) some will not read the thread it can be tldr-ish. The WDs could be lessened by a tapering down of the substances used in stead of outright cessation. Before I found BL it was withdrawals like a MF every month for years. Came here as a last ditch effort to acrue some insight as to what the hell was really going on. After finding a few answers to a few of my questions: I stayed on for shits and giggles and to pay forward the help that I got.
Well, hopefully one got an answer. I agree that the withdrawals are upon you. Appears that one may be through the worst of it... how's it going today?
Be well,
Ptah

thanks to all for responding & apologies if i came across impatient or entitled to a response - not my intention at all. I do tend to write way too much, particularly when I am anxious. I really appreciate the existence of this site and I found many answers I was looking for just by spending more time back-reading old threads, and then of course by the responses here.

@PtahTek to answer your question, I do believe I am through the worst of it now, I hope. I actually managed to sleep for a handful of hours last night & the main remaining symptoms now are a sluggishness, continued congestion/headache, and achiness but all are lessened. Trying to decide whether to toss my remaining meds...only have enough for 10 doses and while I want to keep them for their originally intended purpose of pain relief, I also know (1) i love how they make me feel so I cant pretend that's not part of why I dont wanna toss 'em and (2) even if I brought my tolerance back down, I am not interested in taking a dose of something and then immediately re-triggering withdrawal....

any thoughts on how long I might need to wait in order to avoid that? that'd be assuming I could actually avoid taking all 10 doses over like, back to back, days, and truly keep them in the pocket for my worst pain days.

... re-triggering withdrawal....
any thoughts on how long I might need to wait in order to avoid that?
Nah, man. Sorry but there is no guarantees after one has visited captain howdie and liked his/her/its company. Oh, if ya mean in the immediate future, well taking in hydromorphone and *other meds... maybe a couple weeks to a couple years??? Not sure how to answer this or if there even is an answer, tbh. This would depend a lot, IMO, on how well one can mange not using. It is a very slippery slope, indeed, and fraught with dangers.
Congrats at making it this far. :) It may not be over with, though. Give it a few days and reassess always. Make adjustments if necessary....
Keep us posted on any changes or questions? We will be around lurking onda conas. =D
Peace,
Ptah <3

When I was in my opiate phase I tried to follow a 3 day rule. 3 on 3 off. It worked for a bit but as my addiction got stronger that rule became obsolete and I was sick all the time without anything. Also, for me and others I know, the mental part of it has caused physical symptoms after taking a small amount that would not cause them and I know it dose that because I am an addict. Doubt you you have this same issue being as this is newer for you but something to keep in mind.
is a very slippery slope, indeed, and fraught with dangers.
Indeed it is.

gotta just say again, truly appreciate you guys providing some perspective and feedback. really drives home the point that it's better not to face stuff entirely solo. I am still realizing what of course I already knew on some level, which is that with a larger supply, I WILL slide right on down that slippery slope. Trying to be real with myself about why I don't want to get rid of what I have even if I have to wait months to use them again. I just like them too much. Lots for me to explore on why. Not 100% ready to dive into all that yet, but trying to be grateful for this wake-up call, so to speak. Helps a lot to share that with people that dont judge even as I find myself asking questions that can potentially get me into more trouble.

in the meantime, my body aches like crazy so I broke down and took what is oddly enough a forbidden drug for me - ibuprofen. quite literally burnt out my stomach lining from years & years of over-using it for my chronic pain. havent touched it in a long while & decided to apply some "harm reduction" thinking, at least in the short term, it seems to have been a helpful choice.

i really feel for you guys with chronic pain problems, must be a nightmare to have to walk this tightrope with using addictive drugs to manage a medical condition.

unfortunately any use of opiates will put you back in withdrawals due to something called the kindling effect. i've heard that it can take up to 18 months for your opioid receptors to go back to normal. certainly for me, i had to do a rattle when i used heroin after nearly 18 months of no opiates.

don't let that dishearten you, you've done well. i'd strongly advise you to speak to your doctor about a feasible long term pain management plan cos you don't want to have to face the choice between frequent withdrawals or unmangaed pain if you don't have to. opiods are now contra-indicated for chronic pain so this will be possible.

thanks for the feedback @chinup - appreciate it. Yeah, beyond frustrated with myself that I let my use become problematic when I genuinely need the meds. I know long term use for chronic pain isn’t a good route - for many reasons. I’m a weird case bc 600-800 mg of ibuprofen will actually make life livable for me 8 times outta 10, but NSAIDs are now a hazard to my body. And I guess opioids a hazard to my mind! Not many other options at this point - been down the pain mgmt road. I’m nearing its terminal point and in a place where “deal with it” is the option last option barring organ removal. Anyway! Thank you again. Might have to start coming to grips with tossing what I have bc even tho I hate my pain, I’m not interested in getting really sick for a week following a night of pain relief lol.

ha yeah, NSAIDs can wreck your stomach. have you looked into mindfulness based approaches? i know it sounds like woo but the scientific evidence is very strong.

ahhhhh, i know this is a dead thread, but holy shit, man, just reflecting here - 2 weeks out from last use & got through my withdrawal in less than a week since I hadnt quite yet let my usage get too out of control.

And now here I am, just angry at the very existence of the pills I have left.

because I want them, plain & simple, it's like they taunt me.

I am tired of spending every evening having an entire inner dialogue (sometimes more of a war) about why I should not take them & then my mind comes up with 20 different reasons why it'd be fine.

The dumbest plan my brain comes up with? just blast through all 10 remaining doses all over the next week & a half or so (I've only ever taken pills 1x a day at night) and be DONE, no temptation. But I am sure i'd make myself sick again with that.

some days I wish I had never discovered how much these type of drugs seem to fill in all the empty places.

this probably sounds incredibly foolish, but I am just not ready to ask....I do have someone who knows I am struggling & probably would hold onto them...I think maybe I can get there - get to the point where I am strong enough to take the control out of my own hands. In the meantime, I'm still grappling with this shit. I didnt end up using any tonight! but i know I'll be thinking of it again. Just gonna count each day as a step forward.

this probably sounds incredibly foolish, but I am just not ready to ask....I do have someone who knows I am struggling & probably would hold onto them...I think maybe I can get there - get to the point where I am strong enough to take the control out of my own hands. In the meantime, I'm still grappling with this shit. I didnt end up using any tonight! but i know I'll be thinking of it again. Just gonna count each day as a step forward.
It doesn't sound foolish at all and it's good that you recognize that rather than try and rationalize or justify it. I was heavily addicted to pills for many years, clean (from them) now for almost 5 but occasionally think about it, actually as an addict if I don't have anything I dwell on it and if I have something in my possession, saving it or rationing generally goes out the window pretty quickly. This was always much harder for me when pills were the factor. I understand 100% what you are going thru, addiction is a bitch and it's not always an option to pick our battles, keep in mind the sickness that comes this battle.

i know this is an old thread but if op is still around i hope everything went well for you man

i was going to suggest nerve blockers in terms of pain management until i saw the dates