• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Scared dog

gicumafo

Greenlighter
I'm learning that my dog is scared of loud noises. In the 2 months or so I've had him we've had exactly 2 claps of thunder. He sorta freaked both times. Now with warm weather and holidays approaching fireworks are starting. Never had a dog freak like this. Every dog I ever had would just look at me to see if I was scared, see me relaxed and they would relax. Not this one. Running from room to room trying to figure out where to hide. Shaking. No pissing yet, thankfully but who knows? Gonna call the vet tomorrow but wondering if anyone has a similar problem and could weed help to calm him? Delta-8 edibles maybe? Regular edibles dosed on weight? I don't think CBD would help but I honestly know little about it. I'm hoping someone has some experience with dogs scared of noises. My mom had one and the two times she gave it meds from the vet it made the dog stoned for 2+ days each time and never used it again.

I've been a vet tech for over 18 years. There are a number of different traditional pharmaceutical meds your vet can trial with your dog to see which one helps the best. However yes, CBD is showing to help with a lot of anxiety cases. Please talk to your vet about it. Please do not attempt to dose your dog yourself.

Let us know how you go! :)

im sure that cbd for pets range of products are usually lower in CBD than the ones for humans i would recommend trying one of those rather than just giving your dog some made for humans

My dog is terrified of thunder. One thing I do is plan ahead. If there's a strong chance of thunderstorms I give her a 1/2 dose (25mg) of diphenhydramine (OTC sleep med) in peanut butter. Sometimes she sleeps through the storm; if not, she seems a little calmer. My dog is pretty big (about 80lbs)--- smaller dogs would take even less than 25mg. I'm always there to pet her and talk soothingly to her. That helps a lot too.

PS-- Sometimes vets prescribe benzodiazepines. Be careful, though. My dog has a paradoxical reaction (gets agitated), so that's out.

My dog is terrified of thunder. One thing I do is plan ahead. If there's a strong chance of thunderstorms I give her a 1/2 dose (25mg) of diphenhydramine (OTC sleep med) in peanut butter. Sometimes she sleeps through the storm; if not, she seems a little calmer. My dog is pretty big (about 80lbs)--- smaller dogs would take even less than 25mg. I'm always there to pet her and talk soothingly to her. That helps a lot too.

PS-- Sometimes vets prescribe benzodiazepines. Be careful, though. My dog has a paradoxical reaction (gets agitated), so that's out.
Something else that can really really help is putting a really tight-fitting doggie vest or jacket on them, before the storm starts. Obviously they need to be able to breathe and move properly so use a stretchy fabric, but make sure it's tight. The tight pressure on their body acts like a weighted blanket and calms their nerves. It can significantly help with all types of anxiety but especially thunderstorm and fireworks anxiety <3

My dog is also nervous when got thunders and lightings.A lot of gun and fireworks stress him too.like on New Year's Eve.I let him go inside the house when storming

If i can get ma hands on acid never thought to give a dog ha

My dog is also nervous when got thunders and lightings.A lot of gun and fireworks stress him too.like on New Year's Eve.I let him go inside the house when storming
Only when storming?? You should let him in the house ALL the time!! Our 2 pit bulls LIVE inside our house! 😊
qau2nqV.jpeg

If i can get ma hands on acid never thought to give a dog ha
Please do not ever do that...ismene was joking

Last edited:
My shepherd mix used to sleep with me but then when we got our new puppy she realized it was too squished so now she’ll just come up for a few hours in the morning when she’s at her coldest.

There was a time I was pretty much living outdoors for a bit, one night it got really cold and I woke up to her shivering standing next to my sleeping bag. I let her get in then wrapped my body around her and held her until she warmed up. Took her about 2hrs to stop shivering it was close to freezing. Ever since then me and her have been tight, almost like that was thing that told her she could trust me from then on.

Only when storming?? You should let him in the house ALL the time!! Our 2 pit bulls LIVE inside our house! 😊
qau2nqV.jpeg

That jacket is too adorable :) flannel on pittys. When we go camping both of ours wear full flannel pajamas and it’s the cutest thing on the planet. First time we put them both in em I’ll never forget their faces, I laughed so hard. Both of em (they don’t often mimic each other) were sitting there dead eyed staring at us like “do we really gotta wear these doofy things?” The hoods were the icing on the cake.

-GC

qau2nqV.jpeg

Actually i let him....all the winter.He also sleeps on bed,but is garden dog.Ablot of dirt when he sneaks inside you know:)

I am very good friends with a dog trainer and I've learned so much from them when I got a dog.

I don't know how old yours is but the younger you start the better - positive reinforcement training. For example my dog.. We played firework shows on the TV, loudish, while keeping her calm and giving her treats. It didn't take long for her to realize fireworks = I get a treat. Eventually treats can just be a pat, and you just give a treat now and then.

We did this with all sorts of sounds. Think we ended up finding an app specifically for this even?

Anyway while drugs may be the easier!/tempting option and may be needed regardless as some dogs are very nervous no matter what, good training goes such a long way. My dog isn't scared of any noises like fireworks, lightning, honking horns etc. All from just a bit of training that really wasn't all that much. 10 minutes a day you will see results.

I am very good friends with a dog trainer and I've learned so much from them when I got a dog.

I don't know how old yours is but the younger you start the better - positive reinforcement training. For example my dog.. We played firework shows on the TV, loudish, while keeping her calm and giving her treats. It didn't take long for her to realize fireworks = I get a treat. Eventually treats can just be a pat, and you just give a treat now and then.

We did this with all sorts of sounds. Think we ended up finding an app specifically for this even?

Anyway while drugs may be the easier!/tempting option and may be needed regardless as some dogs are very nervous no matter what, good training goes such a long way. My dog isn't scared of any noises like fireworks, lightning, honking horns etc. All from just a bit of training that really wasn't all that much. 10 minutes a day you will see results.
Yes!! That is awesome!

My 14 yr old Cairn Terrier is terrified of thunder and loud noises. When a storm is coming, I’ll put her in her kennel and add in my Norweigian Forest cat (who loves the dog). The cat kneads and licks the dog.

Tom
That is so frickn beautiful 🥰