• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Sassafras? Does anyone have experience with sassafras root powder?

DrBear

Greenlighter
Recently obtained sassafras root as a powder. Anyone with experience with this?

Both it seems. Specifically the safrole found within

Is it supposed to be a less harmful way to roll? Cheaper? Why not just buy actual mdma?

Alright so obviously sassafras root is mainly used a precursor to Mdma, but there have been reports over the years of effects straight from the root or essential oil as well...

I didn’t believe until this last fall I was at a typical Friday night show doing my thing when I run into an old acquaintance. Normally I’m very quick to remember a face but this guy took me a few seconds, he’s the first person I’ve ever met that remembered my face before I did his..

Turns out me and him had only met once prior, 6yrs ago! Where we both had hunkered down under a shelter from some rain while rolling (and me on San Pedro) the fact I was on Mescaline intrigued him and we sat for hours discussing some deep shit before parting ways never to see each other again. (Or so I thought...)

Well we catch up for a minute and before long he asks me if I want any sassafras root bark. I am obviously intrigued and question him on it. He says that it won’t give you an intense roll but there is definitely an energy/vibe to it reminiscent of MDMA.

He gave me and my brother a bit and said to chew on it sublingually. We did. At this point I had drank a few alcoholic beverages, a latte with Maca added, so I was in dancing mode feeling good.

I can indeed report both me and my brother felt some effects, again nothing extreme but a mild warmth and headspace that borders on empathogenic. I would need to try it more but there’s something to it I believe.

-GC

Recently obtained sassafras root as a powder. Anyone with experience with this?

Safrole isn't going to make you roll unless you extract it and convert it into MDMA... not that there's all that much safrole in commercial sassafras root powder to begin with; the highest safrole content is in the fresh root bark; the dried powder made from whole roots is going to contain drastically less.

Sassafras albidum grows all around in the woods out this way. That being said I can confirm that there are some vague but definitely perceivable effects.

Thank you all for the follow-up. Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort as the effects of sassafras root would be rather mild. It's the saffrole in the sassafras root that is problemmatic. As an aside, many commonly consumed spices contain saffrole such as white and black peppercorns, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and star anise. As for it being a carcinogen, the evidence is there but it is weak. Andrew Weil, MD writes that there is no clear evidence that saffrole causes cancer in humans, only by extension of high dose saffrole exposure in lab rats. cf. ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/content/profiles/safrole.pdf - if you're really curious.

Real root beer is made from sasafrass, so it is relatively safe to drink at that dilution.

Safrole being "carcinogenic" is a convenient excuse to stop it from being distributed, plenty of other compounds cause tumors in rat liver like those found in dill, parsely, nutmeg, aniseed, calamus oil, etc. etc. - but those are not common precursors to MDxx drugs so that's OK.

However sassafrass root bark is not much more than a very nice smelling addition to potpourri maybe, or something to steam distill to get the 0.5%-1.0% w/w of essential oill out (mostly safrole and some terpenes)... the safrole itself is not active as a MDxx type drug unfortunately.

Agreed sekio. I was speaking in terms of relative safety in consumption as root beer, not effect. Drinking root beer, while safe, is inert except for the possibility of caffeine that may have been added.

The confusion probably comes from the fact that MDA is often sold as "sassafras" or "sass". While safrole from sassafras is often the precursor used, sassafras itself is not active. Safrole may or may not have some slight activity, but that seems like a good way to give yourself liver cancer. I would save my pennies and buy a safe drug - I rather like having a functional liver.

Sassafras itself is rather tasty. People chew it all the time where I live, or make root beer. No one gets high from it.

So the cancer thing is mostly likely bogus. They also say cardarine causes cancer in cancer prone rats while humans have been using this RC for over 12 years with zero reports. There are a lot of medical professionals that place heavy doubt on the cardarine cancer theory, as pharmaceutical company realized a drug this good that would correct your cholesterol with zero side effects, boost fat loss, and give you cardio boosting effects only beaten by epo or EQ, they tanked the studies. I believe similar is to be said about sassafras, so many natural plants will cause tumor growth, why is ONLY sassafras, out of probably 50 different plant species, illegal?

There are enough reports on erosion and similar that says it is active for me to believe it is.

People use to say tianeptine was a weak anti depressant with no abuse liability, 5 years later people are IVing 5g daily and have withdrawal as bad as heroin.

There used to 25 commercials daily about lyrica and how safe it was and now not a single commercial and people are acting sueing the company for having withdrawals and seizures.

My point is why would this plant be used by natives in ceremony if it was inactive?

i had one experience with pure sass root. Source was pure, true & a total stranger.

Ingested .5 grams (1/2 the bag, seamed reasonable) tasted like licorice.

45 minutes later, I was offered LSD or "acid" - since i hadn't felt a thing from sass, i dropped 2 tabs.

during the next 1.25 hours i became quiet warm, fuzzy, lovey & although very present & hanging with a large group of life long friends, I found it impossible to say any words. Finally a buddy pulled me aside to check in, little HR ya know, as friends do. I literally found a piece of paper & wrote:

took sass and acid. doing great just cant communicate. I also handed him the other 1/2 gram of sass and a few tabs. I think i also took more tabs at that point.

That was one of the funnest combos, especially on a NYE. We dubbed the xperience "SACID" San Fran "Sea of Dreams"-2007

Basically cartoon land with a shift in gravity & proportions, never a moment of fear but a complete release of reality.