View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

San Pedro Cactus Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one can tell you for sure... I've studied intermediate botany but practiced generally on non-succulent dicots; and I had them in my hand.

Google: San Pedro Identification
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...=&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8&q=san pedro identification

There are plenty of serious sites dedicated to cataloging and easing the identification of all different plants.

Edit:
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Echinopsis&species=pachanoi

This is an Echinopsis pachanoi, but there are 129 other cacti in Echinopsis alone.

Identifying cut cacti without many awesome pictures from when it was standing is going to be almost impossible.

And BTW what you really need are pictures of the flowers for identification, they give the most information out of anything in the plant for the most part.

Original Description: The Cactaceae 2 p.134 - Britton & Rose (1920)
Plants tall, 3 to 6 meters high, with numerous strict branches, slightly glaucous when young, dark green in age; ribs 6 to 8, broad at base, obtuse, with deep horizontal depression above the areole; spines often wanting, when present few, 3 to 7, unequal, the longest 1 to 2 cm long, dark yellow to brown; flower-buds pointed; flowers very large, 19 to 23 cm long, born near the top of the branches, night-blooming, very fragrant; outer perianth-segments brownish red; inner perianth-segments oblong, white; filaments long, weak, greenish; style greenish below, white above; stigma-lobes linear, yellowish; ovary covered with black curled hairs; axils of scales on flower-tube and fruit bearing long black hairs.

Bolded all I believe you can really look for with your pictures.

Edit 2:

Also, at least it seems that most cacti are not poisonous, but many succulents are, and might be confused with cacti.

FLOWER - if you had a pic of this from your stuff it would be pretty damn easy to tell you had san pedro with just a quick comparison. My guess is you bought pre-cut lengths or chopped down some cactus:
NSFW:

Sanpedroflower.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, I guess I'll have to do some more research on the plant. Is there any poisonous cacti that look similar to what I have? That is my main concern.

Hi and welcome to Bluelight, we don't allow ID threads unfortunately, if you read the rules closely (all vital info for beginners are in links in my signature below)... We can't really offer expertise on this kind of thing and take responsibility for doing so.

I recommend that you use a determination description / key and try to compare with other cacti descriptions you can find. And maybe try other forums that do allow identification like The Shroomery / DMT nexus.

Will leave this thread open for you to respond especially since you are new here, but after that this thread is due for closure.

As I said, most cacti are not poisonous, they use spines defensively so don't have much use for toxins. Now there are succulents you might confuse with cacti which are indeed deadly toxic.

As I said though, without pictures of it whole and/or without a picture of the flowers on that specific cactus, definitive identification (short of a GC/MS test looking for alkaloids, and that wouldn't be definitive for San Pedro, just a mescaline bearing one) is almost impossible. No one will really be able to tell you much more, especially without detailed measurements of spine lengths, distances between, and so on. I doubt anyone can tell you for sure, except maybe a graduate degree botanist in person. Maybe he could comparing vascular bundles or something from slices under a microscope lol

Sorry, didn't know this would be considered IDing in the same sense. I thought ID referred to powders/pressed pills or the like where you can't make a definitive identification. With plants, you often can. Won't do it it again :)

Also http://cactiguide.com/cactiornot/

Read that ALWAYS to make sure you have a cacti (which are all succulents) or a non-cacti succulent. The latter can be toxic.

Seems rather similar to mushroom hunting ID type questions which we also don't allow for the aforementioned reasons. I see that most cacti are not poisonous so there should be less harm in it, but it also seems like we have answered to our best knowledge already. Condoning that seems fair but also enough for now.

Seems rather similar to mushroom hunting ID type questions which we also don't allow for the aforementioned reasons. I see that most cacti are not poisonous so there should be less harm in it, but it also seems like we have answered to our best knowledge already. Condoning that seems fair but also enough for now.

I agree totally. Cacti aren't toxic, but there are plants which look much like them which are. The only people who should really be giving advice are Graduate Students of Botany, not an HR forum.

Mushroom questions are even crazier because to accurately identify the mushroom you actually need cross sections of the gills laid onto slides. It gets really nuts there, because there are some CRAZY small differences. Online identification is russian roulette with fungi; Shroomery is doing dangerous stuff if they're ok with allowing people to ID mushrooms over the internet, unless the guy has made a bunch of slides, and then taken a bunch of micrographs.

Probably not happening.

Edit:

Not just micrographs... SEM micrographs lol

basidium-botamynus.jpg

You have to be able to tell the differences in this stuff---^ (the stalk holding 4 spores - it's a basidiomycete, and those are basidiospores - same phyla of P. Cubensis. Fungi only comes in 4 phyla)

Without a graduate degree in mycology, this is unlikely.

Yeah I've read about the anatomy, cool info to share...

Anyway, TS be careful and sorry that we could not be of better assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.