View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Same music good on psychs and other times not

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
Does anyone else find that your favorite music sometimes sounds amazing on psychs or MDMA (or sober)....then the exact same music is displeasing on a different trip or another point of the trip.

I did acid last week and could not enjoy my usual electronic stuff...instead I had to put on ambient sort of music because the electronic was just sounding too cheesy to me on that trip...where other times it produces total euphoria.

Any ideas on how to better control this phenomenon or prep before hand to ensure enjoyment

I don't wanna go all Matrix-y but it is probably you who changes, the mindset with it. Don't try to control your mindset very directly, that is impossible. Just go with where the flow, and your mindset, take you and be open to possibly enjoying different things.
Tripping is not a reliable formula like a mcDonald's restaurant and it will only make you unhappy to try and standardize your experience in the long run.

If electronic music sounds too cheesy (and I can certainly relate to both liking electronic music and finding it cheesy), go on an exploration for things that are a good alternative to that. Just less cheesy electronic tracks or entirely different genres, some of which can be much more down to earth and natural-sounding like the timbre of wood and voices rather than sounds produced by a VST.
It's really quite pointless to fight your feelings on it, we don't really get to pick what we want as much as we think we do, and it is not set in stone. So roll with it. Beautiful things can come out of trying things you otherwise don't try.

There is also some explanation for it: during trips there is evidence that our minds and brains become much more interconnected, people have been saying for a long time that new connections are made. Well at least it is much easier to make faraway unlikely connections. This can be the key to staying young and flexible: to stay open to new things, and during a trip your mind guides itself.

I absolutely could not enjoy music when I was doing opiates. It's like it was blocking all my pleasure centers. I bet it's a chemical thing

Yes but so different though... psychedelics bring to the surface your deeper feelings and thoughts. Opioids (I have been dependent) do make you "feel" good but mostly of course they make you not-feel. Some things get easier and even more functional thanks to that, but on another level people really tend to suffer if they don't feel as weird as that might sound to some. Part of that pain may not be apparent until later which is certainly my experience.
Opioids or not, if I have lost touch with my feelings or they are too powerful and/or negative I can eventually steer away from music temporarily and not play any even though it is very important to me. Musical experience tends to be a very emotional thing and our response to it tends to go very deep (as shown by very old people who can be reanimated by music), but we may shield ourselves from it too if our relationship with feeling is not right, sometimes it is just too painful in particular ways.

Anyway, opioids do activate pleasure centers directly giving artificial euphoric sensations, but music probably uses very complex indirect ways to do that some of which do relate to "feeling". That's not to say a lot of people can still relate to feelings in a less threatening way since pain may be removed but it still disturbs our relationship with our feelings.

I've always been terrible with my emotions for certain reasons but one important thing I've learned is how disastrous it is to not work on this relationship with yourself. However difficult that may be, you can be a lot more lost if it is worse.

Last edited: