View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Same music good on psychs and other times not

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
Does anyone else find that your favorite music sometimes sounds amazing on psychs or MDMA (or sober)....then the exact same music is displeasing on a different trip or another point of the trip.

I did acid last week and could not enjoy my usual electronic stuff...instead I had to put on ambient sort of music because the electronic was just sounding too cheesy to me on that trip...where other times it produces total euphoria.

Any ideas on how to better control this phenomenon or prep before hand to ensure enjoyment

hm I don't really see how you could condition yourself to like a certain kind of music while tripping. as you said, even sober, one isn't able to enjoy the same music all the time... I wouldn't put on venetian snares when I am about to go to bed, even though I enjoy the music he creates.

how about you prepare different playlists for different moods in advance and then you just pick the one you feel most comfortable with in the moment. that way, you can quickly. change the ambience without having to think too much about what to play.

^ this. You gotta go with the flow. Attempting to force or control a trip is often a bad idea, i reckon.
Just go with it, and you'll find the right thing to listen to.
I find some drugs (especially MDMA) alter my taste in music.
Whereas with classical psychs i can usually sort of work within my usual tastes and find different perspectives.

I think it's important to be flexible and impulsive on psychedelics, to go with whatever it throws at you.

I've actually had this feeling before also. I think it's heavily determined by one's underlying mood.

I've also had experience with making music while on MDMA. I felt like it was amazing, trippy, diverse and completely unique. While it may have been diverse, trippy and unique, when I played it back the next day I felt like it was far from amazing.

I've also tried playing guitar while on mushrooms. I didn't record it so I can't say how well it sounded to my sober mind but I can say that it felt absolutely amazing at the time. The way that the sounds seemed to express themselves through my fingertips was a completely euphoric feeling.

Has anyone experienced this music dysphoria while at an actual concert/festival? I did one time but it seems less common in such a setting. It seems a little easier in such a setting to feed off the energy of everyone else and get into the music, while being home alone it seems to happen more to me.

Sometimes I try to over-analyze lyrics, it makes them seem meaningless and thus silly, at other times the same lyrics can bring complete revelation. Psychedelics are never predictable :\

I experience music dysphoria on acid almost every time someone drags me to any sort of electronic concert. It seems hollow and hedonistic, and to me acid isn't supposed to be as such. I have a bias though, I find music to only be created and true if the artist has a connection with the object producing the sound; if someone is just up there twisting nobs with headphones on and bobbing their head, it seems so, so damn fake. I strive to experience all that is original and truly artistic and 9/10 times EDM shit is just straight up boring.

^ off topic but why don't you think using production software to create music is "true" Its kind of like saying beethoven didn't creat "true" music himself and its the instrumentalists, because he only used a pen to write down notes on paper...then other people played the music.

i used to think the same way having played music for about 8 years before I got into electronic. But then are started looking at it soley as its the feeling the music creates in you that matters, not how hard it is to perform on an instrument or how complex the music is.

Hi im new on here and dont realy now wear to start but i like to unplug the keyboard and put on some blues when im tripping its like im playing it lol

I don't know man, I feel there's no connection between artist and the music itself. There's less innovation. It's not even that I dislike all electronic music, there's lots that I love, lots that takes me places... I guess it's when it went from synthesizers being the instrument of electronica, a keyboard yet something more I guess, into "I twist these nobs and it mixes a bunch of pre-layered sounds together" type deal that I feel it's lacking that originality and connection. The way rappers sample beats instead of creating their own. The way so much EDM is just sampled music layered on top of pre-established sounds and bass. The creativity is lacking and I find it soulless. In the early days of electronic music there was innovation that I don't see in a lot of modern stuff.

Perhaps you're right and I'm wrong; don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking my taste in music is the end all be all. It's just that the electronic music events I attend never spur me to tears and awe. Maybe I just expect too much from everything. I try to let go, but there have been times I've had a 'bad' trip just because someone wants to dominate the speaker box and play Seven Lions when I just wana mellow out to some Dead.

Forgive me if I seem rude. My fiance calls me a hipster frequently and it's times like this that I realize how right she is.

^ not rude, its just different tastes perspectives....thats art. beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Totally get you... Sphongle is completely mind-blowing when I am under the influence of psychedelics, but when I am sober, it's like I can't grasp the full textures of the music, and it is just kind of annoying. I heard they released a new album not too long ago... the next time I am tripping, I will be sure to lisen it! It's like this music was made for tripping!