• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Salvia Divinorum, What does it do ? Somebody explain Salvia to me

aguythatlikessmoke

Bluelighter
I read a bit about Salvia and have never tried it before, I am a bit intrigued.What is the effect of Salvia? for those of you who have tried it? is there any psychological benefit to Salvia? Are there any long lasting benefits? Anti depressive anxiolytic, or perhaps insight into issues?
How does it compare to shrooms?

Also one more note , What is ketamine like? And does it produce any lasting benefits? because i heard its a very effective antidepressant is this true? why do some people take a lot of ketamine as a techno club drug?
I saw a few friends do low doses of ketamine and it doesnt cause them to trip out, seems like they felt physically relaxed and very good. What is the effect of very low doses of ketamine?

I can't shed any light on salvia because I've never done it. Ketamine though...I have done. I probably did 0.3, snorted half and smoked the rest sprinkled on top of a bong rip. Honestly it was the most uncomfortable high I've ever had. My perception of time was distorted...it was moving at a very delayed pace. I kept walking outside to get fresh air and the light coming from the street light made for a very eerie aura surrounding me. It was borderline creepy. I also had a very hard time falling asleep. My girlfriend at the time also did some with me and she wasn't enjoying it either. She seemed stuck in her own thoughts the whole night. All in all a very bad experience, I will never willingly try ketamine again. How people take it before going out to a club is beyond me.

uhm.... HAHAHA it is not any of those things. Salvia is a terror nightmare wrapped in a sock punch that wants to rape your brain. Only thing this crazy shit will teach you is terror.

you need to go to erowid and read all the trip reports. This shit is not calm at all, you will have a terrifying experience it does not compare to shrooms or ketamine. DO NOT DO IT. Only real psychonauts need apply with this one. It is one INSANELY intense ego death trip that lasts for a minute or two then you spend the next 2 hours in terror trying to figure out what just happened to you.

It's nothing like Ketamine (Which i like) Salvia is the worse drug iv ever tried, when i came out of my insanely bad trip i thought nothing was actually real and everything including my twin brother was just an illusion and almost committed suicide, I'm a healthy person who exercises everyday and have never had thoughts of suicide, it feels like you're in the trip for years and when reality hit's you just cant comprehend anything

I've done lots of acid and shrooms and can speak with certainty they are nothing like salvia. You do hallucinate from all of the 3 but with shrooms and acid I still was in control.When I did salvia my world went away for only a few minutes but to me it seemed like a lifetime. After finishing hitting it my legs and body felt extremely heavy and I sat down and I had such a strong hallucination that I must've had a mini psychotic break I find it hard to put into words let alone type what I experienced but it wasn't pleasurable!

Have you not seen the salvia challenge videos on youtube? A few of those videos was enough to make me never want to try it. It's a very short 'trip' but apparently in your mind it feels like it lasts forever which is not what I would want if I reacted the way 95% of those people on youtube did.

I have had a few very intense experiences with Salvia.

Put as simply as possible, it is not a pleasant trip. Every time I did it, while I was watching layers of reality stack on top (relative, as there is no 3D space in this realm) of each other, I always got the feeling that I was tricked into existing, or that I had just missed the punch line of the big cosmic joke. And the joke was on me.

Man, you guys are giving Salvia a REALLY bad rap.

Me personally, I always really liked Salvia a lot, but it's not "enjoyable" exactly.

The thing about Salvia is that it only lasts about 10 minutes.

You take a few huge bong rips and next thing you know you are pretty much in a different world.

It's almost always very jarring but that doesn't mean that I agree it's always TERRIFYING or horrible.

It's just...basically like going from zero to 100 and being thrown onto a psychological roller coaster.

Here's a few of my experiences:

Once I was with friends and smoked and suddenly I felt like I was levitating looking down on them while they were sitting around this table. It didn't last long, but honestly it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had on it.

Another time I heard a voice say to me "you shouldn't have done that" while I felt like my face was kind of being pulled to one side magnetically in a mildly unpleasant but interesting way. I talked back to it and said "oh yeah, why not?" and took another hit and continued to feel my head being pulled to the side and heard more weird voices.

Another time I smoked a lot of weed and Salvia and Calea and drank Calea tea and saw a floating diamond in my room with a face which I talked to and it said it was the spirit of Salvia. IT WAS AMAZING.

The most full blown hallucination of something that wasn't there AT ALL that I ever had.

I talked to it for a minute then it disapeared.

One time I smoked weed and Salvia and saw some little dancing colorful men moving around in mid-air (my room was dark as the best hallucinations with Salvia happen in the dark).

Then I took a hit of nitrous and the little men turned into a giant colorful cross made up of little dancing figures. It was amazing.

Other times I had more auditory hallucinations and magnetic feelings of my head being pulled apart.

You never really know exactly what is going on when you do Salvia.

ANYTHING can happen.

But I think it's a wonderful and fascinating substance.

I don't get scared when I do it because I basically just expect it to be like going on a roller coaster or watching a horror movie.

I kind of "challenge it" to do it's best and give me all it's got, and I never end up having more than I can handle.

But there's really nothing else like it I've ever done even though I'm FAR less experienced with psychedelics than many on this board.

From what I've heard the only other thing that MIGHT compare to it a bit is DMT.

In a strange way it's also just a LITTLE BIT like Nitrous, both in the extremely short duration and also in that IMO it is also a bit of a dissassociative and not just a psychedelic...but it's still not really like nitrous even though the two go GREAT together.

It's 100% unique, but it's very underrated because most people seem to get bad experiences or can't handle it.

I have had a few very intense experiences with Salvia.

Put as simply as possible, it is not a pleasant trip. Every time I did it, while I was watching layers of reality stack on top (relative, as there is no 3D space in this realm) of each other, I always got the feeling that I was tricked into existing, or that I had just missed the punch line of the big cosmic joke. And the joke was on me.
Oh my God if I had to put the experience into words that's damn close. My buddy had a wooden TV cabinet and the wood was tile looking like it was made up of wood squares in 4 inch by 4 inch blocks.Anyway once I started tripping these blocks literally started covering everything up in my vision one block at a time at about a block a second. They did this until everything went away and I was alone(there were 3 other people with me) in this wooden box by myself.I'm still not doing the trip much justice but this is the closest I've been able to explain it!

Here's a copy/paste from another forum where I started a thread about my "theory" on my experience with Salvia:

" Okay. Well, beingone that has experienced the "layers/slices of reality" trip every single time I've smoked salvia, I've been very curious as to why it is that I've had the same trip repeatedly. It's been almost a month since the last time I've had the trip (stopped smoking to wait and see if I could remember it with time). It turns out, I remembered enough to come to quite a reasonably hypothesis.

People that experience a variant of "layers/slices" trips experience layers of what they perceive to be "reality", stacking on top of one another. They may see ahead of them, outlines or images of themselves reacting to things they haven't felt yet. But, sure enough, they fit the outline/image.

When your eye sends an image to your brain, the image combined with your nervous system stimulate your brain to perceive this one split-second of "reality" or 3d space. I believe that Salvia slows down this process. I think that the images and nervous messages sent to your brain stimulate your brain, and stimulate it for longer than it is supposed to. Normally, perhaps, an image and nervous message would be sent to your brain, and it would be immediately replaced with another image and sense of space. Well, I think that salvia causes the images and feelings to sort of "stick" in the brain. Hang back longer than they're meant to. Resulting in multiple messages stimulating the brain at once. This means that a person would experience multiple 3d spaces at once. This would mean that the user was experiencing 4 dimensions.

The closest comparison I can make is to an old projector. The ones that had a wheel in which you'd place images. Let's say that the images were, instead, instances of 3d space. The images placed in the slide were an image and feelings sent to your brain. Normally [sober], one would perceive one of these 3d spaces at any point in time. However, being on salvia would be the equivalent of widening the range of the amount of images that were projected at the same time.

Using an arbitrary number of 5, let's say that the brain perceived 5 images and feelings at once, rather than 1 [sober]. As the wheel scrolled, one new image would appear, one old image would move from your sight range, and the images that didn't disappear would move back a slot. That is what the user experiences when they move and change their field of view, resulting in more messages being sent to their brain. To people on this trip [or, at least me], it would look like reality, perhaps, stacked on top of itself, or rested vertically on each other.

That is the best I can describe my trip, and come up with reasonable explanations. Tell me what you think. Perhaps it's not as possible as I think.
"

Another post of mine from another thread:

-----
"At about 1AM this morning, I smoked half a bowl of marijuana, and then set the mood for a bowl of 15x. I hit it. One hit. And it hit me back twice as hard. Everything suddenly stopped. Paused. And after a few seconds, the next frame of what happened was revealed to me. Slowly, frame-by-frame, reality was shown to me. It was as if everything that happens is cut into really long thin slices, and dropped in to place. I thought that I was stupid for thinking my life was real. It felt as if everything that happened forever, and that was still happening, was totally pre-set, and that forever, there were slices of reality just waiting to be dropped. The slices fell faster and faster, and I was becoming aware of what I was doing. I got angry, and wondered why I was here. After a few seconds (8 minutes), I remembered that I exist, and that I had smoked salvia, and simply sat there, trying to comprehend what I just witnessed."

----

^^^^

It's interesting that all of your descriptions mention how Salvia makes you perceive things different VISUALLY though, and I think it is of note that the Mazotec Shamans of Mexico who were the original ones to use Salvia always recommended that it be used in complete silence and darkness for best effects.

The majority of times I've used Salvia I've done it in the dark and have gotten AMAZING visuals, but the changes in perception I've had through it have also had to do with just general thinking patterns being distorted and also auditory hallucinations.

But your theory about how it slows down your visual process (if true) might possibly be one reason the Shamans recommended using it in the dark: maybe it just overloads that part of the brain to where it is best if you don't have any visual objects you are looking at so your brain can create it's own reality.

Have you ever tried smoking it in the dark before??

Also, the thought patterns it creates are just straight up bizarre.

I don't even know how to describe them, as I honestly can't even really remember them from trips that were years ago but I don't think I could have properly explained them at the time even right after coming down they were so strange.

It's kind of similar to nitrous in that way in that under the influence it seems like you are having these profound thoughts that make sense that you've never had before and that you are experiencing a whole new kind of thinking but once you come down you can't remember any of it or make sense of it.

I haven't ever smoked it in complete and total darkness, but there was one time a few years after the major experiences where I took a tepid few puffs and laid back and covered my face with a blanket and closed my eyes.

I got the same exact effects, the weird shifting a pulling of gravity in directions I didn't know existed. I got the faint "falling-into" sensation of these layers stacking on top of each other. I don't think it would make too big of a difference being in the dark or not. It wasn't really the visuals that were overwhelming. It was the sensation that some core aspect of the flow of the universe, time itself, had broken....and I was experiencing some in-between dimension where I could "see" all of my past present and future thoughts and actions.

That's interesting.

I've never been able to "see past, present and future thoughts" but I did have that same "pulling of gravity in different directions".

That's always the one thing that is the same with every one of my Salvia experiences: I feel like my head is basically being pulled apart and one or both sides of my face or head are being magnetically pulled to one side by some kind of powerful force.

It's such a weird and jarring feeling, kind of unpleasant but interesting enough not to be a really bad feeling either just because it's so unique and I know the experience only lasts a few minutes so I just try to enjoy it as much as I can.

It's such a strange substance.

It's been years since I've done it but I still overall like the experience and will be doing it again at some point.

Yeah I wouldn't say that it's a bad substance. I'm glad I did it. But it is definitely not a trivial thing. It was a mistake to do it as poorly prepared as I was at 16.

100% no question about it, it completely changed my life and the way I look at the world. If I had to pick a turning point in my life, that would be the biggest one.

The only pulling I had was a pulling me down like my body became very heavy or gravity changed dramatically!

I have had a few experiences on 60x, and 25x. There really wasn't that much difference to me.

I completely agree with the layers building up in front of you. One time I smoked 60x in my car and I thought I was in king Poseidon's court and he was telling me to make things out of these three sacred colors, blue, green, and yellow. The only thing I remember him telling me to make was seatbelt covers. Twas surreal.

Another time, everything was made up of snakes and hamburgers. Both building up on top of eachother....like hamburgers, then snakes eating the hamburgers, then hamburgers covering the snakes then snakes eating the hamburgers again...what it means I do not know, but I surely wanted a hamburger after that.

I also had an experience where I don't remember the trip but I had thought my roomate and his girlfriend had come home and I was just standing by my fireplace yelling at the top of my lungs over and over...."aaaah! ahhhh! aaahhhh!" then I came out of it still yelling, realized they had not come home (why this was a problem for me I do not know because he had and her had smoked some with me) and just started uncontollably, maniacally laughing like a madman that just figured out the secrets of life.

This stuff is powerful, I will give it that, and not easily controlled.

I thought I was in king Poseidon's court and he was telling me to make things out of these three sacred colors, blue, green, and yellow. The only thing I remember him telling me to make was seatbelt covers.

YFW

3922_6.jpg