• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Safety of e cigarrette

Neithman

Bluelighter
Hello,
I bought an e cigarette because of reduced toxicity and im certain its less toxic than regular cigarretes but how much less toxic are they?
I read many conflicting articles in the internet and in this article http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/dangers-e-cigarette-vapors-updated-research/ they state that e cigarrettes form formaldehyde hemiacetals (14.4 mg/3ml)which they say are toxic and form from PG over time.I wonder if thats really true and how toxic it really is in the end and if how the measurements were taken if there are other studies reporting otherwise in regard to the acetalaldehyde.
Really appreciate an answer

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069 this is the backing study they refer to and this study shows there were some voltage issues in this study http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1502242

Last edited:
It causes addiction and you'll just increase your levels of Nicotine which will lead you to a more addictive situation.
I have a similar issue with nicotine patches (like mini closed tea bags). Not as toxic but super addictive. Some ppl use it for 24 hours and just replace them after eating.

any toxic compounds in e-cigarette vapor will be much lower concentration than the nasty shit in pyrolysed tobacco

The basic point is that putting anything into your lungs is going to be bad for you, but if you choose to smoke and your choices are cigarettes or an ecig, pick the ecig. Is IS toxic, but it is much less toxic than cigarettes. Sadly i cannot quote a percentage or anything like that because their isnt enough research being done on them right now. But i started at 24mg (i was naive) and have worked my way down to 6mg after about 3 months, and stayed at 6mg for a while, and now plan to work down to 3mg in another month.

Also, check this out. This warns about the diacetyl and other chemicals in ecigs. http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/wp-content/uploads/advpub/2015/12/ehp.1510185.acco.pdf

well my question how much less toxic it is and sekio in the article i posted they stated acetalaldehyd levels are actually higher in e cigarttes than in the equal amount of cigarettes

well my question how much less toxic it is and sekio in the article i posted they stated acetalaldehyd levels are actually higher in e cigarttes than in the equal amount of cigarettes

What exactly are they basing that on? As I understand it, the level of AcH (and many other compounds) varies greatly according to the temperature you use, so talking about levels of anything "in e-cigarette smoke" without any additional information is fairly meaningless.

Yes, but if you scrounge around (I forget where the exact article is), the experiment you posted uses ecigs at voltages much higher than the average ecig. And at those much higher voltages you are actually combusting the liquid, not vaporizing it, which is why the acetyladehyd content is so much higher

Ozle has it right

The only bad part about e-cigs is even the stuff without nicotine in it is bad for you. But even that is still better for you than inhaling pure tobacco like american spirits. It gets a bad rap because of the cig companies and the moral majority that freak out about the "flavors" and targeting children.

The psychiatrist I asked about it said that the flavoring chemicals they put in it are dangerous when vaporized, but yeah I can't imagine it being even nearly as dangerous as smoking tobacco.

The psychiatrist I asked about it said that the flavoring chemicals they put in it are dangerous when vaporized, but yeah I can't imagine it being even nearly as dangerous as smoking tobacco.

Risk will vary among individuals, just as with smoking. I'd have to agree that some of the flavors do have the potential to be harmful. Due to chronic exposures I've developed very bad sensitization allergies to various substituted benzaldehydes particularly vanillin derivatives, especially trimethoxybenzaldehydes. When I vape certain chocolate flavors I get very bad breathing issues, skin exposure to the liquid can cause issues as well. For fun I ran a TLC of the juice and co-spotted with vanillin. The Rf was identical and both spots reacted to DNP and FeCl3 stains. When I vape non-flavored stuff I don't have issues.

I'd think a certain portion of the population would be at similar risk. I'd assume that vulnerable individuals could develop allergies to these substances as a result of vaping.

another thing to consider is the quality of the e liquids you vaporize, some are very low quality (especially the cheap one) and therefore more toxic, also i think it safe to say that you should avoid the eliquids with flashy colors, no one know what are the longterm effects of inhaling a liquid with a pink, brown or whatever color
and finally while ecigarette is a great tool to stop smoking, i have seen too many people actually absorbing way more nicotine than when they where smoker, because they think nicotine is completely harmless, the taste, the fact that you can vaporize anywhere anytime etc

it was my case... not too long ago i was using so much my ecig that my tongue had a yellow tint on top, i eventually stopped and my tongue became normal again

Nobody knows what happens to the flavouring chemicals when heated to the level where enough nicotine is in the gas phase. Azeotrope may be in action.

You guys are forgetting that the e-liquids aren't produced under GMP. Who knows what poisonous trace chemicals and even heavy metals and what not, these added flavorings might contain? Puffing once is fine, but vaping everyday - certainly not.

You guys are forgetting that the e-liquids aren't produced under GMP. Who knows what poisonous trace chemicals and even heavy metals and what not, these added flavorings might contain? Puffing once is fine, but vaping everyday - certainly not.

Propylene glycol & glycerol are the solvents. NMR of all the samples I've seen suggests that they are pure but they react with nicotine - that's an unknown.

This paper found that among other things diacetyl is lower in the vapour than is allowed by work place restrictions.
That means direct inhalation has less of these harmful substances than the maximum limit for the room air of work places.
To reach that level some ridiculous amount of liquid would have to be vaped.

This is especially true with the newer model of tanks that have a lot of airflow and have basically a mouth to lung draw.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230015301549

Does anyone know to find that recent study that showed that e-cig liquid could cause something like 18 types of cancer in iirc small rodents (iirc pregnant animals?) and the very surprising thing was that when there was nicotine in there it actually seemed to protect in some way, with the nicotine-free version being way worse??

Heh, that is actually consistent with what clubcard suggests about there being a possible reaction with nicotine?

Best conclusions at the end of the day, that don't seem to change even in the face of any study thus far is that smoking cigarettes is SO terrible for your health there is hardly a comparison and e-cigarettes are a lesser of two evils if you can make the transition. But that e-cigarettes themselves are bad for health as well and that it's wise to quit them as well at some point, not just get comfortable in a false sense of security. Maybe health problems are always still overshadowed by for example having alcohol habits running parallel, making it that much harder to see the causality when people get health problems in our irl everyday life.

Last edited: